• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who resigned after prostitution scandal, to jump into race

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Former Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who resigned after prostitution*scandal, to jump into race for city controller* - NY Daily News

ALBANY — City politics has never been so titillating.

Former Gov. Eliot Spitzer stunned the political establishment Sunday night by announcing he is running for city controller — joining mayoral hopeful Anthony Weiner as the latest disgraced politician looking for a comeback.

In an odd twist, the ex-governor — who resigned in 2008 amid a high-priced call girl scandal — will be competing against Kristin Davis, the ex-madam who says she supplied him with hookers and who is running on the Libertarian line.

“I love public service,” Spitzer told the Daily News. “I believe in it, and hope I will be given a second chance.

“After being out of office for five years, thinking deeply, reflecting on what I was able to do when I was in government ... I’m going to try and seek the controller’s office and ask the public to consider me,” Spitzer said.

Spitzer, 54, is creating a committee that will begin circulating nominating petitions Monday in the effort to collect the requisite 3,750 signatures to get on the ballot by Thursday’s deadline. The son of a wealthy real estate developer, Spitzer said he won’t opt into the city’s public campaign finance system.

The bolded part is what makes this story especially cheerful. Is this a great country or what? :lol:

Re: Former Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who resigned after prostitution scandal, to jump into

How great would that be to say you voted for Weiner Spitzer.

Ya gotta feel for the wives standing behind their scumbag husbands.

Re: Former Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who resigned after prostitution scandal, to jump into

Only in New York. LOL

I watched the movie "Idiocracy" years ago. Seemed ridiculously over-the-top at the time. Now...not so much.

Only in New York. LOL

I watched the movie "Idiocracy" years ago. Seemed ridiculously over-the-top at the time. Now...not so much.

Yep, it's turning into a documentary more and more.

How great would that be to say you voted for Weiner Spitzer.

Ya gotta feel for the wives standing behind their scumbag husbands.

I did feel sorry for Weiner's wife. But when I consider her patron, who is among the most shamelessly ambitious politicians of our lifetimes, I think Huma Abedin has decided to keep her eye on the real prize. ;)

I did feel sorry for Weiner's wife. But when I consider her patron, who is among the most shamelessly ambitious politicians of our lifetimes, I think Huma Abedin has decided to keep her eye on the real prize. ;)

Man o man you've got to really want it bad to put up with that jerk.

Huma DID have a role model, right?

Former Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who resigned after prostitution*scandal, to jump into race for city controller* - NY Daily News

In an odd twist, the ex-governor — who resigned in 2008 amid a high-priced call girl scandal — will be competing against Kristin Davis, the ex-madam who says she supplied him with hookers and who is running on the Libertarian line.

The bolded part is what makes this story especially cheerful. Is this a great country or what? :lol:

Can you wait to see the debate between Kristin and Spitzer? OMG!!!

Can you wait to see the debate between Kristin and Spitzer? OMG!!!

Moderator: Mrs. Kristin, why do you think Mr. Spitzer shouldn't be controller?

Kristin: Well, he still owes me $300.00.

Only in New York. LOL

Yeah, only in NY except for the reality that he probably realized that he had a chance after the SC senate election a few weeks ago where a republican guilty of flying to argentinia on the taxpayers of his state to meet with his mistress actually made it into congress. But it is only in NY of course. I guess if he doesn't get on the ballot we can always say only in SC. Hopefully the dems can find someone better to run.

Yeah, only in NY except for the reality that he probably realized that he had a chance after the SC senate election a few weeks ago where a republican guilty of flying to argentinia on the taxpayers of his state to meet with his mistress actually made it into congress. But it is only in NY of course. I guess if he doesn't get on the ballot we can always say only in SC. Hopefully the dems can find someone better to run.

While that's true, having a shamed politician who frequented a whoring agency running for COMPTROLLER against the pimp he bought his whores from.....that kind of trumps anything that occured in South Carolina. Don'cha think?

While that's true, having a shamed politician who frequented a whoring agency running for COMPTROLLER against the pimp he bought his whores from.....that kind of trumps anything that occured in South Carolina. Don'cha think?

Just proves that there are scumbags on both sides.

Just proves that there are scumbags on both sides.

Senator Vitter

Only in New York. LOL

Not only in New York, this has happened all over the country.

It depends on whether you think Prostitution is a serious crime I guess. AND whether you think a Gov. that walks out on his family and goes AWOL while in office on the citizens dime fits your values.
In most Western nations, what Spitzer did would barely be news. His problem was he made too many enemies by being too good a DA. He just could not help himself. This was published 2 weeks before that FBI sting that ended his term as Gov.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/13/AR2008021302783.html

Last edited:

It depends on whether you think Prostitution is a serious crime I guess. AND whether you think a Gov. that walks out on his family and goes AWOL while in office on the citizens dime fits your values.
In most Western nations, what Spitzer did would barely be news. His problem was he made too many enemies by being too good a DA. He just could not help himself. This was published 2 weeks before that FBI sting that ended his term as Gov.

Eliot Spitzer - Predatory Lenders' Partner in Crime
Thanks, while I was aware of his article, I wasn't aware of the proximity to the sting.

Disgraced ex-Gov Spitzer could be gunning for Wall St again - NBC News.com

Wall Street should probably worry about Spitzer's return. As city comptroller he would be able to issue subpoenas once again, giving him the ability to haul Wall Streeters into the public eye once more. He'd almost certainly use the position as a bully pulpit, holding press conferences castigating those he considers wrong-doers. Spitzer's office also made a lot of use of the New York press to anonymously attack opponents and reveal information about cases it was pursuing.

Perhaps the most potentially powerful part of the comptroller's office is its oversight of the city's $140 billion of pension assets. The comptroller sits on a board that controls four of the five city pension funds and is the investment adviser and custodian of all of them. The comptroller's bureau of asset management pays Wall Street money managers $360 million a year in fees.

A portfolio of that size gives the comptroller a potentially far-reaching perch from which to watch over Wall Street. The funds are large shareholders and customers for Wall Street. It won't be hard for Spitzer, if he were elected comptroller, to find a reason to poke around on anything he wants. Hedge funds, private equity funds and investment advisory firms will scramble for a piece of that $140 billion. Spitzer could become one of the most powerful activist investors on Earth.​

it depends on your view of prostitution, but I pretty much put stealing money from his office and being censured for it and forced to pay it back to be a little more problematic than sleeping with a whore. But the end result is it is something that goes on all over the government and the claim that it is something limited to NY shows a complete lack of acknowledgment of reality, and a memory that probably should get some medical attention before the person forgets how to breathe and dies.

it depends on your view of prostitution, but I pretty much put stealing money from his office and being censured for it and forced to pay it back to be a little more problematic than sleeping with a whore. But the end result is it is something that goes on all over the government and the claim that it is something limited to NY shows a complete lack of acknowledgment of reality, and a memory that probably should get some medical attention before the person forgets how to breathe and dies.

The point is, surely that state kind of someone with a skosh of integrity to hold an office that deals with handling the cities coffers. Eh? I swear, every politician in that morally bankrupt bastion of hell is a crook, a pervert, or a mobster.

The point is, surely that state kind of someone with a skosh of integrity to hold an office that deals with handling the cities coffers. Eh? I swear, every politician in that morally bankrupt bastion of hell is a crook, a pervert, or a mobster.

I am pretty sure it is a requirement to become a politician that you are one of the lowest forms of life to ever pollute the planet with their footstep. We really just end up voting for the smallest pile of crap of the bunch we are offered, and sometimes we don't even do that.

Only in New York. LOL

Only in New York? No, in Louisiana too, where Republican Dan Vitter was reelected to the Senate after his own scandal, in which he was paying prositutes to put diapers on him. Sex scandals know no political party...... That is, unless you are a hack.

Yep, it's turning into a documentary more and more.

Awesome political commentary!!

Back
Top Bottom