• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Former Fox News Channel Producer Tells the Real Story Behind "Fair and Balanced"

H

hipsterdufus

Charlie Reina, a former Fox News Channel producer discusses the motivations behind Fox's current "War on Christmas" campaign.

Here is an exerpt from the letter written by Reina:

Make no mistake about it: Fox is on a mission. Its slogans say, "Fair and Balanced" and "We Report, You Decide." But in the six years that I worked there, what I heard most from Fox management were mission statements -- about turning things around, taking news back from the liberals, and giving "middle America" a voice long denied it by the "east coast media elite." In other words, using its news report to bring about change -- in the media and, ultimately, in the direction of American culture.

As FNC's man at the top, Roger Ailes, knows well from his years as a political operative, there is no more effective wartime strategy than to divide and conquer. That's why so much of his network's programming is confrontational...

But what really separates Fox from the competition is its unabashed use of religion as a divisive weapon. Common sense -- and common courtesy -- have long dictated that personal religious beliefs be kept out of news reporting unless the story at hand involves religion. But on Fox, it's not uncommon for an anchor to raise the issue of a guest's religion, or lack thereof, a propos of nothing.

The most glaring example I can recall is a 2002 interview with a guest who had been cited for his charitable acts. At the end of the discussion the anchor said (paraphrasing here), "So I understand you're an atheist." The guest acknowledged that this was so. "Well," said he anchor, "we're out of time now, but I'd be glad to debate you anytime on the existence of God," and, with that, ended the segment.

Fox anchors will tell you that no one in management dictates that they bring up religion. But my experience at FNC is that, once management makes its views known, the anchors have a clear blueprint of what's expected of them...

So, again, it's no wonder this "War on Christmas" (now in its second successful year) is a production of Fox News Channel -- the very network that has made accusation, recrimination and confrontation the gold standards of cable "news," and whose personalities have fashioned a self-serving "war" out of whole cloth, thanks to ... a shameless management willing to use even Christmas for its own political ends.

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=10784

:confused:
hipsterdufus said:
Charlie Reina, a former Fox News Channel producer discusses the motivations behind Fox's current "War on Christmas" campaign.

Here is an exerpt from the letter written by Reina:

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=10784

Sounds like a very presumptuous, disgruntled ex-employee. While it's well known that Fox is right leaning, they make no bones about the fact they tout the religious agenda. This can be seen in their advertising, and also their programming, i.e religious shows on Sunday, religious material, such as CD's, videos, and the like. Nothing wrong with that, or do you think there is?:confused:

Hipster fails to tell why Reina was "let go." :mrgreen:

Fox News spokesman Rob Zimmerman told The Times that "these accusations are the rantings of a bitter, disgruntled former employee. It's unfortunate that Charlie's career ended the way it did, but we wish him well." Asked whether Reina's quotations from the memos were inaccurate or taken out of context, Zimmerman said, "All we are saying is that these are false accusations."

KCConservative said:
Hipster fails to tell why Reina was "let go." :mrgreen:

If you are privy to that information, why don't you share it with us. Otherwise, in the words of your mentor,Bill O'Reilly, SHUT UP.

hipsterdufus said:
If you are privy to that information, why don't you share it with us. Otherwise, in the words of your mentor,Bill O'Reilly, SHUT UP.

I think he just did professor! So that's what you and howard were on about, oh well, better luck next time sport.;) :rofl

Deegan said:
I think he just did professor! So that's what you and howard were on about, oh well, better luck next time sport.;) :rofl

Wait deegan...he didnt say what he was let go for. He just said that some executive was sorry for the way his career ended. That doesnt sound like a reason for his dismissal.

jallman said:
Wait deegan...he didnt say what he was let go for. He just said that some executive was sorry for the way his career ended. That doesnt sound like a reason for his dismissal.

No, and they shouldn't, I would hope that would be personal. I just sensed some anger, and I could be wrong, maybe he is not disgruntled. It just seems that most of these statements are obvious, and they were twisted to make this claim, but maybe that's why he left, just too many questions I guess.:shrug:

Deegan said:
No, and they shouldn't, I would hope that would be personal. I just sensed some anger, and I could be wrong, maybe he is not disgruntled. It just seems that most of these statements are obvious, and they were twisted to make this claim, but maybe that's why he left, just too many questions I guess.:shrug:

could be. I imagine it is probably a little bit of both, you know?

jallman said:
could be. I imagine it is probably a little bit of both, you know?

He obviously had some disagreement with Fox, maybe he'll find a place where he fits in nicely, I would recommend CBS, I hear a few positions have opened up recently.:3oops: :lol:

Deegan said:

Sounds like a very presumptuous, disgruntled ex-employee. While it's well known that Fox is right leaning, they make no bones about the fact they tout the religious agenda. This can be seen in their advertising, and also their programming, i.e religious shows on Sunday, religious material, such as CD's, videos, and the like. Nothing wrong with that, or do you think there is?:confused:

The only thing I will give Fox credit for in the religion arena is the fact that they have a Christian/Jewish family on "The O.C." and therefore came up with Chrismukkah :mrgreen:

Deegan said:

Yes of course, news coverage should be just that, news. It should not have any bias or opinionated leaning. Advertiseing as news or as Fox says "Fair and Balanced" and "We Report, You Decide" when it is anything but.
But then again people who actually believe Fox is news, those people who are so gullable to believe that Fox is credible news. Fox is nothing more than a circus show with screaming and kicking. To launch controversy so as to appeal to people that enjoy the conflict.

jfuh said:
Yes of course, news coverage should be just that, news. It should not have any bias or opinionated leaning. Advertiseing as news or as Fox says "Fair and Balanced" and "We Report, You Decide" when it is anything but.
But then again people who actually believe Fox is news, those people who are so gullable to believe that Fox is credible news. Fox is nothing more than a circus show with screaming and kicking. To launch controversy so as to appeal to people that enjoy the conflict.

I know, idinit grand?:lol:

Deegan said:

If they are so "fair and balanced" why not Religious material on Fridays and Saturdays as well... as they are the holy days for the Islamic and Jewish religions.........Nah.....

Cable news is entertainment but bad entertainment. Don't let you kids watch it.

Caine said:
If they are so "fair and balanced" why not Religious material on Fridays and Saturdays as well... as they are the holy days for the Islamic and Jewish religions.........Nah.....

If the market was there, i'm sure they would, it's all about the almighty dollar.

Caine said:
FAIR AND BALANCED!!!!!!!

Hannity and "Liberal To Be Determined"

Hrmm....

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1158

That's why liberals stink, they even berate one of their own to make a point, and smear a black woman and man because they are conservatives. Evil is a good word for it, I can't think of another.:roll:

Caine said:
FAIR AND BALANCED!!!!!!!

Hannity and "Liberal To Be Determined"

Hrmm....

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1158

I couldn't agree more. Luckily he's going to be off Sirius soon.

I stumbled across this website: It's all about Fox finding a valid replacement for Colmes. Boy, I could recomend a few: How about Rachel Maddow or Stephanie Miller or Ed Shultz or Thom Hartman. At least someone who calls themselves a liberal for crying out loud.

Alan Colmes: The Problem
Alan Colmes has inhabited the Fox sewer for so long he can no longer smell the stench. He really seems to believe that the Fox News network, and the show he sub-hosts with the main host, Sean Hannity, are "fair and balanced." He cheerfully lends his presence to a fraudulent enterprise.

And it's even worse. Alan Colmes has a full-blown case of political talk show Stockholm Syndrome. Nothing makes him happier than criticizing his "fellow Democrats" or liberals for what Colmes eagerly agrees with his right-wing guests are "inappropriate" words used by Democrats or liberals to denounce the latest right-wing outrage.
http://www.therationalradical.com/alan-colmes.html

Deegan said:
That's why liberals stink, they even berate one of their own to make a point, and smear a black woman and man because they are conservatives. Evil is a good word for it, I can't think of another.:roll:

Alan Colmes is NOT ON OF US. No, he's not one of us.

tmdho030924.gif

hipsterdufus said:
Alan Colmes is NOT ON OF US. No, he's not one of us.

tmdho030924.gif

I hear CBS is going to start a new Yen and Yang political talk show. I think they're talking about having Ed Schultz speak for the left and Carrot Top for the right.

Deegan said:

Well that's fine if you think that Fox News should be an infotainment channel.

Australianlibertarian said:
Well that's fine if you think that Fox News should be an infotainment channel.

Or Tele-Church... Tele-Chapel.....

Maybe hire some Tele-vaneglists...

Deegan said:

Wakarimasen

Ich verstehe Sie nicht

Je ne comprends pas

M-ming bak

Back
Top Bottom