• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Employee Sues Panda Express...

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/forme...th-male-coworker-as-part-of-cult-like-ritual/

A former employee of a Panda Express in Santa Clarita, California has filed a lawsuit alleging sexual battery, hostile work environment and intentional infliction of emotional distress against the restaurant chain. She claims that she was forced to participate in a cult-like “ritual,” during which she was made to strip “almost naked” and down to her underwear.

OK. I've got a few issues with this story. If it's true then it's REALLY messed up, but I have my doubts.

1. The outfit that ran the seminar isn't owned by Panda Express and Panda Express disavows any requirement for attending this kind of seminar as part of consideration for promotion.
2. The victim appears to have paid for the seminar out of her own pocket. If it's a "requirement" for promotion then every business I've been affiliated with pays for this kind of thing.
3. I've been involved with "team building" activities at management seminars but none that ever required getting naked. The company lawyers generally frown on that kind of thing.
4. It's freaking Panda Express! What position was she trying to get promoted to? According to the complaint it looks like she was working the service line so promotions from similar positions in other companies are generally handled at the store level.
5. There don't appear to be any other employees joining the suit. If the accusations are 0.5% true then there must be at least one other person that was freaked out.

So, all things considered, I'm not buying this story as presented. There's WAY too much "weird" and nowhere near enough "plausible".

Finally, if you're going to get naked in front of a group for a job promotion you may want to consider exactly what the upside to the promotion will be. If you're doing this to go from $8.50/hr to $9.25/hr you aren't exactly maxing out your ceiling.

https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/forme...th-male-coworker-as-part-of-cult-like-ritual/

OK. I've got a few issues with this story. If it's true then it's REALLY messed up, but I have my doubts.

1. The outfit that ran the seminar isn't owned by Panda Express and Panda Express disavows any requirement for attending this kind of seminar as part of consideration for promotion.
2. The victim appears to have paid for the seminar out of her own pocket. If it's a "requirement" for promotion then every business I've been affiliated with pays for this kind of thing.
3. I've been involved with "team building" activities at management seminars but none that ever required getting naked. The company lawyers generally frown on that kind of thing.
4. It's freaking Panda Express! What position was she trying to get promoted to? According to the complaint it looks like she was working the service line so promotions from similar positions in other companies are generally handled at the store level.
5. There don't appear to be any other employees joining the suit. If the accusations are 0.5% true then there must be at least one other person that was freaked out.

So, all things considered, I'm not buying this story as presented. There's WAY too much "weird" and nowhere near enough "plausible".

Finally, if you're going to get naked in front of a group for a job promotion you may want to consider exactly what the upside to the promotion will be. If you're doing this to go from $8.50/hr to $9.25/hr you aren't exactly maxing out your ceiling.

I agree.....it is truly sad that some people in this country would have to do something like this for 75 cents an hour on an unlivable wage. Or maybe we don't agree on that.

Sounds like she's stir-frying and woking the courts for a quick payout.

She got off easy. My training seminars are modeled after the dungeon scene in Pulp Fiction.

I agree.....it is truly sad that some people in this country would have to do something like this for 75 cents an hour on an unlivable wage. Or maybe we don't agree on that.
If you want to get naked for money there are other options...I'm just sayin'.

She couldn't have just claimed she slipped on a slick spot in the kitchen and broke something? Sounds like a better strategy to me. Why go sexual the harassment route if you don't have to?

I'm like, "Where do I sign up?"

Sounds like she's stir-frying and woking the courts for a quick payout.
That it does.

Back when I was doing the corporate thing it did get a little "culty" as I neared the top and "corporate culture" plays a huge role in most large organizations but the way the seminar is described I just don't buy it. There is NOTHING in the complaint that sounds like any professional training I have ever heard of. Maybe she Googled the wrong training seminar. Maybe she was being shined on by co-workers she'd pissed off. Maybe she really did want to get promoted. I have no answers for any of that but any time they tell me "training" involves getting naked in front of a group I'm walking away...well, at least I won't go first.

That it does.

Back when I was doing the corporate thing it did get a little "culty" as I neared the top and "corporate culture" plays a huge role in most large organizations but the way the seminar is described I just don't buy it. There is NOTHING in the complaint that sounds like any professional training I have ever heard of. Maybe she Googled the wrong training seminar. Maybe she was being shined on by co-workers she'd pissed off. Maybe she really did want to get promoted. I have no answers for any of that but any time they tell me "training" involves getting naked in front of a group I'm walking away...well, at least I won't go first.

Maybe she feels entitled to her greed. Maybe she's nuts. Maybe she's stupid.
All kinds of maybe(s) here.

This sounds a lot like the Landmark Group Cult scam. It's a suck you in, make you pay out of pocket and keep you coming back for more scheme.

In 2004, the French channel France 3 aired a television documentary on Landmark in their investigative series Pièces à Conviction. The episode, called "Voyage Au Pays des Nouveaux Gourous" ("Journey to the land of the new gurus") was highly critical of its subject.[55] Shot in large part with a hidden camera, it showed attendance at a Landmark course and a visit to Landmark offices.[56] In addition, the program included interviews with former course participants, anti-cultists, and commentators. Landmark left France following the airing of the episode and a subsequent site visit by labor inspectors that noted the activities of volunteers,[57] and sued Jean-Pierre Brard in 2004 following his appearance in the documentary.[58]

The episode was uploaded to a variety of websites, and in October 2006 Landmark issued subpoenas pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to Google Video, YouTube, and the Internet Archive demanding details of the identity of the person(s) who had uploaded those copies. These organizations challenged the subpoenas and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) became involved, planning to file a motion to quash Landmark's DMCA subpoena to Google Video.[59] Landmark eventually withdrew its subpoenas.
Jury is out on who is lying--but, it does sound a bit Scientology like to me.

Anyway
Landmark's Self-Expression and Leadership Program (SELP) requires participants to undertake a community project...
Organizations including Nasa, Apple, Microsoft, GlaxoSmithKline, Reebok, and Panda Express have employees who have participated in Landmark's programs.

This sounds a lot like the Landmark Group Cult scam. It's a suck you in, make you pay out of pocket and keep you coming back for more scheme.

Anyway

Are you adding evidence making it more difficult to call the woman a liar? That won't be appreciated. ;)

Anyway

Interestingly enough, the church of Scientology had serious issues with the EST seminars in the 1970s. It seems that the weirdo pool wasn't big enough for every group to pull in their share.

Not sure what kind of job opportunities Panda Express offers but I doubt willing to peel off your clothes in front of strangers is part of any of their criteria. I do not know a woman that would take off her clothes in front of strangers unless she wanted to. She's claiming she is a victim. There is a lot of that going on these days. But it falls very short.

She's claiming she is a victim. There is a lot of that going on these days.

I know, there was this guy a few months ago despite no evidence that played the victim and said he lost the election due to massive fraud he couldn't prove in 60 court cases.

You're right, there is a lot of that going on.

I think you may have supported that guys claims by the way.

I know, there was this guy a few months ago despite no evidence that played the victim and said he lost the election due to massive fraud he couldn't prove in 60 court cases.

You're right, there is a lot of that going on.

I think you may have supported that guys claims by the way.
You are off topic Jetboogieman. Maybe you should issue yourself a warning. Be glad to discuss this with you in another thread.

Curious to hear the "other side". Surely there are more than her that would be willing to speak up about such a seminar. If it is as she reported though she should probably collect a check and Panda Express, if they are affiliated even by recommending their staff go there...should probably also be on the hook.

A real ❄❄❄ job for sure...

Speaking of snow, you ready to build another ☃?
Yea we are getting a real ❄️❄️❄️ job up here with ⚡️ and thunder! Not joking about getting ⚡️and thunder.

I can... I still have the Top hat, scarf and sticks with mittens that I crocheted from the last tiny ☃️ I made.

One year in the past...some of my neighbors and I made a big Snow Lady! I used felt tipped pens to draw a face on a styrofoam head to put on the snow body.
A neighbor put a shawl on her head because she had no hair and wrapped it around her neck. Used stick arms with gloves. And had one gloved arm positioned to wave to all of the drivers that passed our apartment building while driving on Our Scenic Highway!

Roseann🤗

Yea we are getting a real ❄❄❄ job up here with ⚡ and thunder! Not joking about getting ⚡and thunder.

I can... I still have the Top hat, scarf and sticks with mittens that I crocheted from the last tiny ☃ I made.

One year in the past...some of my neighbors and I made a big Snow Lady! I used felt tipped pens to draw a face on a styrofoam head to put on the snow body.
A neighbor put a shawl on her head because she had no hair and wrapped it around her neck. Used stick arms with gloves. And had one gloved arm positioned to wave to all of the drivers that passed our apartment building while driving on Our Scenic Highway!

Roseann🤗

Wow! Send me pictures in the morning... Palomar already has three inches. Should be a winter wonderland.

This thread revealed no surprises at all.

You are off topic Jetboogieman. Maybe you should issue yourself a warning. Be glad to discuss this with you in another thread.
Ooops, you must have forgotten your own foray into discussing victims.....post #17 you said:
She's claiming she is a victim. There is a lot of that going on these days. But it falls very short.

Are you off topic?

I have some issues as well, and there is always more to a story than appears on the surface.

The company which runs these seminars is based in Pico Rivera California. A very low rent kind of suburb of Los Angeles. Records show the business is based out of someones home, and they rent a facility where they do these employee seminars. My spidey sense tells me this comany while not a "cult" as the complaint alleges, and is probably just some low rent fly by night business Panda connects with for these employee/management improvement seminars.

Seems kind of odd that employees have to pay for this. Makes me wonder what Panda is getting from the deal? I have worked for several companies which would have employee "team building" seminars---always conducted by outside companies. And while mandatory, we never had to pay for them. I find it suspect that people are forced to pay for this CRAP.

A very odd accusation in deed.

All of these dumb "team building" seminars seem to always have some sort of "depravation" tactics in my opinion. Could be denying you your cell phone, or very limited bathroom breaks, or delaying any time to eat while some assclown rambles on with some psycho babble BS about "inclusion", and motivation--- blah, blah. Most of these are always a joke, and anyone with half a brain can see right through the tactics all geared to use whatever time they have with their captive audience to try and break down people from their preconcieved notions and opinions, then insert the company's goals and other subliminal bullshit.

Lazy management. Kind of makes you wonder how they run the entire business? All of the jobs going into these places are entry level, but a good manager can see potential in the kinds of people who show up on time, do their tasks above and beyond required, don't complain, and understand the importance of BOTH working toward a bottom line, and knowing how to deal effectively with the public. Skills which while you groom, must have some come from people with good ethics and a little common sense. Problem in the fast food industry, they really aren't drawing from a very deep well of talent---even unskilled people. So I guess they feel they need some help from some crackpot psycho babble "team building" company.

Exactly! Her claim was that the nudity thing was part of the program. Where is the corroborating depositions for that from other people?

I am skeptical as well. But something seems off about this team building company all the same.

LOL!

All I can say, is anyone looking for a managment career at Panda isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. What really scares me about dumb people in these kinds of jobs, is they handle your food.

Back
Top Bottom