• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

Has LTY been accused of child molestation, or are you just free associating?

just saying that is the only thing I can think of that would make ME consider suicide. The concept baffles me. How ****ty must your life be to consider killing yourself?

Artist are a moody bunch, whether its acting, singing painting it doesn't matter.

It's too bad of course.

Perception is a lost thought process that can make life so much easier.

just saying that is the only thing I can think of that would make ME consider suicide. The concept baffles me. How ****ty must your life be to consider killing yourself?

I thought that might be the case.

And a person can have all the outward signs of a successful and happy life, yet still be depressed

It's not that life is actually ****ty - it's that they perceive it to be intolerable.

It's how one views things that's the difference.

Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29 - NBC News.com

wow. so sad. I've never gotten "suicide", been through some pretty bad times and never thought about doing it. Maybe if I had been caught molesting a kid and was facing decades of abuse in prison, maybe.

Yeah, unfortunately, you can't really "get it" until you've been there, and hopefully, once you get to that point, you can still rationalize enough not to do it. It's a very dark place to be, indeed.

I'm not wired that way either. It baffles me as well. People are different though....some see a bad situation in life and think that's the end of the road.

Has LTY been accused of child molestation, or are you just free associating?

We don't know jack from the article, as nothing was said about any motive. The OP did say that they could think of reasons that would "justify" taking their own life but certainly did not attribute those same reasons to LTY. Apparenty LTY made the decision to end his own life so one can safely assume that LTY thought he had reason to do so.

Artist are a moody bunch, whether its acting, singing painting it doesn't matter.

It's too bad of course.

Perception is a lost thought process that can make life so much easier.
It's really not a thought process that is lost, but a difference in the perceptive faculty of an individual, which appears to be facilitated by some neurotransmitter functional changes and chemical balance abnormalities. In my usual state of mind, you'd never have a hint that I can be inclined toward serious depression or any other mood disorder, but when I have been in periods of depression, they have been relatively severe, and not understandable to my mind, even though it's happening in my own body. In my case, it hasn't been brought on by bad life experiences per se, but by an overload of stressors within a relatively short time frame of a few weeks or so. It doesn't even have to be "bad stress", just an overload of stressful factors.

Too many people on this planet anyway so if someone can't handle it and wants to check out early then that's fine with me.

wow. so sad. I've never gotten "suicide", been through some pretty bad times and never thought about doing it. Maybe if I had been caught molesting a kid and was facing decades of abuse in prison, maybe.
Maybe if you had been caught? Hmm, Freudian slip? lol

just saying that is the only thing I can think of that would make ME consider suicide....

Now I really have to wonder.

It's not uncommon for child actors who grow up being adored and getting all that attention to suffer extreme depression when they become adults and are no longer getting all the attention they once had. Hollywood is notorious for using people when they're young and then throwing them away like garbage when they get older.

It's not uncommon for child actors who grow up being adored and getting all that attention to suffer extreme depression when they become adults and are no longer getting all the attention they once had. Hollywood is notorious for using people when they're young and then throwing them away like garbage when they get older.

except this guy had not been thrown away. He was starring in a prime time show.

I know the feeling of wanting to go. For me the tipping point was almost when my wife left and took the kids. In my mind, my life was over, at least the life I had constructed for myself. And I was right - it was over. Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of new life I'm going to re-construct.

I'm not always sure I'll be able to keep from doing anything. I'm OK now, but I just have this gut feeling that someday...well, someday I simply won't win that battle.

some of us are born with some seriously self destructive wiring. it's almost as difficult to put into words as it would be to describe the color blue to a blind person. my guess is that the risk lowers with each decade. teen to age 30 is the absolute most dangerous period.

I don't get why anyone thinks this, or any suicide, is a tragedy. If someone doesn't want to live anymore, why should they be forced to, so long as it's their own choice in the matter?

I don't get why anyone thinks this, or any suicide, is a tragedy. If someone doesn't want to live anymore, why should they be forced to, so long as it's their own choice in the matter?

Because in many cases the decision is the result of flawed thinking.

Because in many cases the decision is the result of flawed thinking.

In your opinion, of course. One less person on this overcrowded planet is hardly a big deal in the scheme of things. If they want to die, let them.

l dont know this actor but feel sad now .

You might want to ask his mother.

No, not just in my opinion. By any objective standard.

However, I understand that you're a bit of a misanthrope, and no individual life is needed for humanity to survive. However, that doesn't mean it's not a tragedy

Tragedy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It has nothing to do with being a misanthrope, it has to do with people being free to choose what they want to do with their bodies. If someone doesn't want to live any longer, for whatever reason, then it ought to be up to them if and when they choose to end their own life. It's certainly not a tragedy for the person involved, they are exercising their free will. It's only really a tragedy for the people who were directly and personally involved with the one who committed suicide. It's just that the biggest deal tends to be made by people who neither had any personal connection to the individual in question or any understanding of the individual's mindset, wishes or desires.

Back
Top Bottom