• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

Cool. Then live. Don't try to push other people to do the same thing if they don't want to, just because it makes *YOU* feel better.

it makes me feel bad because he had to commit suicide

he didnt like " commiting suicide

I can only respond to what you actually say, that's one of the limitations of a public forum. If you want me to respond to something else, spell it out and I will.

Thanks for the offer, but I think we're done here. This is quickly becoming the "Cephus thread." Within hours TMZ will have the scoop, "friends" will give "exclusives" for money, if there was an unscrupulous first-responder, there will be dead pics, and then in another 24 hours or so, Lee Thompson Young will probably be forgotten except as a "cautionary tale" of some sort. I'm sure great wads of money are about to be made.

I was shocked to discover when I moved from the big city to the community I now call home that when a funeral procession passes by, everybody pulls over. I mean the 18-wheelers and everybody. I like it. I think it's okay to stop for just a few minutes to acknowledge the passing of a fellow traveler. You know, "The paths of glory lead but to the grave" and "Ask not for whom the bell tolls," etc.

There's a difference between acknowledging that someone dies and reacting in horror that someone dies. Millions of people die every day, most of them don't make the news and most go totally unknown to the world at large. Enjoy your time while you're here, do something you find worthwhile, make the world a better place because tomorrow, you might not be.

it makes me feel bad because he had to commit suicide

he didnt like " commiting suicide

He didn't have to, he chose to. Nobody forced him to kill himself, it was his own decision. You may disagree with his reasons, but they were his reasons and he has a right to act on his reasons, good or bad, if he chooses to.

Maybe it's just me, but the fact that he committed suicide suggests that he was unhappy :shrug:

Some people feel sad about other peoples' unhappiness. It's called empathy. Some people have it

And some don't

just saying that is the only thing I can think of that would make ME consider suicide. The concept baffles me. How ****ty must your life be to consider killing yourself?

His life can be great, and from the outside that seems to be the case. But he suffered from a largely invisible but seriously debilitating disease called depression.

There's a difference between acknowledging that someone dies and reacting in horror that someone dies. Millions of people die every day, most of them don't make the news and most go totally unknown to the world at large. Enjoy your time while you're here, do something you find worthwhile, make the world a better place because tomorrow, you might not be.
bf6_6e9eb.jpg

His life can be great, and from the outside that seems to be the case. But he suffered from a largely invisible but seriously debilitating disease called depression.

been there done that, I have suffered severe case of clinical depression on a couple of occasions when I was younger, never thought of actually offing myself.

I know the feeling of wanting to go. For me the tipping point was almost when my wife left and took the kids. In my mind, my life was over, at least the life I had constructed for myself. And I was right - it was over. Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of new life I'm going to re-construct.

I'm not always sure I'll be able to keep from doing anything. I'm OK now, but I just have this gut feeling that someday...well, someday I simply won't win that battle.

If you are cognitively aware of these types of thoughts, you're over the first hurdle. You know you aren't feeling well, you know you have the potential to feel much, much worse. I hope that if you ever get to that point, you get help. At least you know that this is a possibility, and I think that might help you out.

been there done that, I have suffered severe case of clinical depression on a couple of occasions when I was younger, never thought of actually offing myself.

Same here, Oscar. Been very depressed on more than one occasion, but I do have a good support group that I know I can reach out to, and talk to, and that helps. Maybe he didn't have that. :shrug:

And Cephus, you can wail about it all you want, but suicide isn't about the person who kills himself. It's about who he leaves behind. It's the most selfish thing a person can do. He destroys the ones he leaves behind.

To you. To them, who knows? If they want to be helped, great. If they do not, it's not your job to impose "help" upon them. It's not up to you to determine how long another human being on this planet lives, regardless of your personal, emotional attachment to them. This guy was 29 years old, an adult, he ought to be able to make his own decisions.

That you're reacting entirely emotionally? No, that's quite clear. The problem is that so many people seem to have a major problem with over-emotionalizing, any time anyone dies, they freak out like it's the end of the world. In reality, it isn't about someone else's demise, it's about their own fear of death, projected onto others.

But you're the one projecting onto him. Apparently he saw a reason to die because he killed himself. He didn't do it for no reason. Just because you don't agree with his reasons doesn't mean those reasons didn't exist, or were not valid to him.

But you only have control for so long, after which, they're adults and get to make their own decisions. Some people don't want to go on living. That's just the way it is. Some people just act stupidly and end up dead as a result. That's also just the way it is. My grandfather died in his 60s because he was a diabetic and refused to take care of himself. My father died in his 60s because he spent a certain amount of his life smoking (we don't know for sure how long, he hid it for decades) and got cancer. As much as I miss them both, I have no right to force my views on either of them and force them to act in accordance to my wishes. They were adults, they made their own choices, they paid the consequences for them.

That's really the issue, so many people are terrified of death that whenever anyone dies, even someone they've never met, they freak out instead of just accepting the inevitable conclusion that death is a natural part of life. I get that a lot of people have a strong emotional reaction to the thought of dying, but to take that to the extreme of claiming that other people, people they don't even personally know, have to live by a particular set of dictates that keep them alive, even if they don't want to be, just so the individual can feel good about not dying, is a bit absurd, wouldn't you say?

Look, whatever. You don't value someone's life like other people do.

My husband gave me the same blabby pro-suicide speech when we met because he recently went through a failed suicide attempt and felt it was his right, and that he had no reason to live, no one would miss him, his life was 100% his own.

Now he has four children and a wife and all sorts of positive **** going on, and though life's been hard, it's still been good. He's glad someone else saved his ass when he slit his wrist even when he wanted to die.

Don't think someone's life matters to you - then whoop dee doo. Be on the pro-suicide list all you want. :applaud:bravo:

Did you recognize you had the disease and were you able to get proper help?

yeah never had much sympathy for these folks, they lead a life millions would die for :lamo
Like Oscar I love that show, it will be interesting to see how the rewrite the season's finale to 'kill off' Detective Frost
I am curious why he'd do it though I mean c'mon wtf?

never thought of actually offing myself
I've got the pistola right here with one up the pipe I might blast myself upon the slightest provocation, “Don’t push me, ‘cos I’m close to the edge, I’m trying not to lose my head.” heh heh ha hah

Too many people on this planet anyway so if someone can't handle it and wants to check out early then that's fine with me.

I don't get why anyone thinks this, or any suicide, is a tragedy. If someone doesn't want to live anymore, why should they be forced to, so long as it's their own choice in the matter?

yeah never had much sympathy for these folks, they lead a life millions would die for :lamo

I find this to be an articulate explanation:

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
John Donne. Meditation 17. [No man is an island... For whom the bell tolls, etc.]

That's why I asked. It doesn't really change the argument, but fine, he was on a current TV show. Are you really upset because it messes with your TV viewing schedule?

Personally, it makes very little difference to me. It sounds cold, but I never really watched anything he was in. But you asked if he'd done anything since he was a teen, and I answered.

It is sad because he was young and was apparently good enough at acting to have regular work.

I've tuned into every last episode of Rizzoli & Isles to leer at Sasha Alexander & drool over Angie Harmon, oh the show is good too ;)
mebbe in the days ahead the underlying cause of this young man's demise will surface mebbe not.

I know the feeling of wanting to go. For me the tipping point was almost when my wife left and took the kids. In my mind, my life was over, at least the life I had constructed for myself. And I was right - it was over. Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of new life I'm going to re-construct.
I'm not always sure I'll be able to keep from doing anything. I'm OK now, but I just have this gut feeling that someday...well, someday I simply won't win that battle.

This is not uncommon and the feeling inner loneliness and lack of worth can easily become too intense for any individual to handle on their own.

Their are many people who have suffered from the same sickness and have recovered. Seeking help may be the best and bravest thing you will ever do, and you should do it soon, You'll be surprised how you will be welcomed and how understanding others can be. Then you may one day be in the situation to help others.

Artist are a moody bunch, whether its acting, singing painting it doesn't matter.

:) Speaking from experience? :)

I know a number of artists in both Europe and North America, and had one in the family. Most are down to earth, happy-go-lucky types. They're doing what they want. How many people really get to do that? Of course, there are those who are as described... like Alec Baldwin, but that thread of misery runs through just about every walk of life.

Sad to hear about the suicide, though I have no idea who this person is. They had to be in a deep hole... which reminds me of one of my many favorite songs.

Last edited:
Pretty sad. Dying at 29 is sad, period. Add to that a dream career and it's even sadder. I would suspect that he had some sort of mental illness or seemingly intolerable recent life events. And, in the end, people ultimately commit suicide when the difficultly and pain they experience exceeds the coping mechanisms they have. This is why it's essential that people with depression and other mental illnesses get treatment - so that they can learn how to cope with the pain and difficulties that result from their mental illness so that it doesn't overcome them.

Treatment doesn't always work. Otherwise I'd agree. He didn't find life worthwhile anymore, possibly because of failed treatment, and that's the tragedy.

Did you recognize you had the disease and were you able to get proper help?

the first time was shortly after Desert Storm...I had a hard time dealing with some of the things I was forced to do (first time I ever killed another person). Fortunately I had a good CO and he made me go talk to the chaplain and they got me hooked up with a good counsellor. After that, I was able to recognize it on my own.

Treatment doesn't always work. Otherwise I'd agree. He didn't find life worthwhile anymore, possibly because of failed treatment, and that's the tragedy.

Tragically - that's true.

I'm appalled that some treatments for depression 'could lead to increased thoughts of suicide'

My husband said the wrong medicines "make it easier to not care" - and that's not in a good way, but in a bad way. It's makes it easier to not care how many others rely on you, need you, or love you.

Tragically - that's true.

I'm appalled that some treatments for depression 'could lead to increased thoughts of suicide'

My husband said the wrong medicines "make it easier to not care" - and that's not in a good way, but in a bad way. It's makes it easier to not care how many others rely on you, need you, or love you.

yeah, I always thought that was jacked up. freaking anti-depressant with a possible side-effect of increased suicidal thoughts? seriously.....WTF????????

the first time was shortly after Desert Storm...I had a hard time dealing with some of the things I was forced to do (first time I ever killed another person). Fortunately I had a good CO and he made me go talk to the chaplain and they got me hooked up with a good counsellor. After that, I was able to recognize it on my own.

It's a good thing you can recognize it for what it is and if it ever returns, and it might, you can cope with it, seek help, and then move on with your life.

Back
Top Bottom