• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Former conservative lays out our grim situation

PerryLogan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Twilight of the Hegemony
By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS

America is headed for a soft dictatorship by the end of Bush's second term. Whether any American has civil rights will be decided by the discretionary power of federal officials. The public in general will tolerate the soft dictatorship as its discretionary powers will mainly be felt by those few who challenge it.

The congressional elections this coming November is [sic] the last chance for for Americans to reaffirm the separation of powers that is the basis of their civil liberties. Unless the voters correct their mistake of putting both the executive and legislative branches in the hands of the same party and deliver the House or the Senate to the Democrats, there is nothing on the domestic scene to stand in the way of more power, and less accountability, being accumulated in the executive.
http://counterpunch.org/roberts02272006.html

(Lucky thing their poll numbers are in the toilet.)

Last edited:
PerryLogan said:
Twilight of the Hegemony
By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS

http://counterpunch.org/roberts02272006.html

(Lucky thing their poll numbers are in the toilet.)

Thank Congress for the Patriot Act (misnomer if I ever heard one).

Remember, if you're going to vote out the Republicans for extending,
or worse yet making permanent!, the Act make sure you
vote out the Democrats who voted for it too. This will have the net
effect of changing the power structure from Repub' to Dem'.

I lean pretty far right but this one issue has my blood boiling. I
hate to be a single-issue voter.

Back
Top Bottom