• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Attorney General Bill Barr says it would be a 'big mistake' for the GOP to make Trump its 2024 presidential nominee

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Former Attorney General Bill Barr says it would be a 'big mistake' for the GOP to make Trump its 2024 presidential nominee

iu

Former Attorney General William Barr said this week that he thought the Republican Party would be making a "big mistake" if it picked Donald Trump as its 2024 presidential nominee. Barr made the statement during a Thursday appearance on the Newsmax show "Spicer & Co." He told host Sean Spicer, a fellow Trump administration alum, that he thought Trump should not be on the GOP's 2024 ticket. "I don't think he should be our nominee — the Republican Party nominee," Barr said. "And I think Republicans have a big opportunity — it would be a big mistake to put him forward." While Trump has not formally declared that he will be running for president in 2024, he has dropped major hints about doing so. For instance, in January, he called himself the "45th and 47th" president in a video filmed by a golfing buddy. Senior Republican lawmakers like Lindsey Graham have also backed Trump's potential candidacy in 2024. Graham said in February that Trump has a "great chance" of becoming president in 2024 and that the spot on the GOP ticket was "his nomination for the taking."

Barr and Trump have had a tense relationship, particularly after a rocky stretch during the last months of the Trump administration. In March, Barr released a book called "One Damn Thing After Another," in which he refuted Trump's claims of voter fraud in the 2020 election, writing: "The election was not 'stolen.' Trump lost it." During an interview with NBC in March, Barr said that Trump never had a "good idea" of what the roles of the president or the Justice Department were. Responding to Barr's claims, Trump released a letter calling him "slow" and "lethargic" and a "big disappointment." The letter kicked off a feud between the two, with Barr calling Trump "childish" and accusing the former president of throwing a "tantrum." In March, Barr also prodded Trump repeatedly, saying Trump was not his "idea of a president." On a separate NBC appearance, Barr said working with Trump was like "wrestling an alligator" and that the former president loved being "surrounded by yes men."

Although I agree with Barr on this, I also believe Donald Trump's all-consuming narcissism precludes him from passing up a campaign run in 2024.

Reading his book about Trump would already conclude that, unsure why this is news worthy.

Barr stands with the old Republican establishment, given his tenure with the Trump Administration it is obvious Barr does not align with Trump's establishment.

Everybody knows Donald Trump is a crook. Everyone except for the cult which consists of a whole shit load of Southern men. Many who go to church.

Trump will be the 2024 nominee, he will not allow anyone else be the nominee.
He will select himself as VP.

Well, I read that article and nowhere in it could if find any quote of Barr saying "WHY" he thinks what he thinks. So...someone tell me why I should care about what Barr thinks.
I guess for the same reason the dems are supposed to be concerned about Musk's opinion of the party?

If you want to remind the American people why they elected Biden the first time around, Trump being his opponent would definitely be the way to do it.

….but Bill will pull the lever for the GOP candidate….

Bill Barr harmed the country with his corrupt service to trump personally, putting trump ahead of the Justice Department, most memorably with his actions to minimize the impact of the Mueller report, misrepresenting and delaying it. Until he apologizes for his wrongs for trump, he doesn't deserve to get listened to much.

There are some benefits to yet another former corrupt trump servant turning on him, but these people largely did despicable things. At last Michael Cohen has come clean. Steve Scaramucci (sp?) might have also. There are many who have a lot more to do, too many to list, but it includes Giuliani, Spicer, Sessions, Pence...

Given how much Trump hates it when someone, especially someone like Barr, speaks out against him this just may be the thing that clinches Trump's decision to run. We can only hope!

Having said that, Barr is even more despicable than Trump if that's possible.

I guess for the same reason the dems are supposed to be concerned about Musk's opinion of the party?
Musk has told us why he has his opinion. Why can't Barr tell us why he has his opinion?

I think Trump running is the only way to guarantee a Biden reelection.
It won't be a "Biden reelection", but yeah...Trump running would guarantee more election fraud and SOME Democrat would win.

Musk has told us why he has his opinion. Why can't Barr tell us why he has his opinion?
Barr has stated many times why he doesn't want Trump as the nominee. Was he specifically asked and refused to answer?

It won't be a "Biden reelection", but yeah...Trump running would guarantee more election fraud and SOME Democrat would win.
lol

Take your dipshit conspiracy theories to Truth, you've played it out here.

lol

Take your dipshit conspiracy theories to Truth, you've played it out here.
Sorry, you'll just have to keep hearing the truth. I'm not going anywhere.

Sorry, you'll just have to keep hearing the truth. I'm not going anywhere.
I may be hearing the truth around here, but it sure ain't coming from you.

Why nominate an incompetent dictator when you can get a competent one in DeSantis?

Seems you are saying that States where the Republicans hold the majority in the Governor Office, State Legislature, County Boards have not figured out how to run a clean secure election.

If Trump does not run, does that mean the election would have less fraud and more Democratic winning elections? :giggle:

Seems you are saying that States where the Republicans hold the majority in the Governor Office, State Legislature, County Boards have not figured out how to run a clean secure election.
I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying the Democrats will find a way to win if Trump runs...even if they have to break the law.

If Trump does not run, does that mean the election would have less fraud and more Democratic winning elections? :giggle:
Not necessarily.

If DeSantis runs instead of Trump, the Dems might have to break the law to win. We know they won't hesitate, either.

I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying the Democrats will find a way to win if Trump runs...even if they have to break the law.

Not necessarily.

If DeSantis runs instead of Trump, the Dems might have to break the law to win. We know they won't hesitate, either.

ah, I see . So if a Dem wins it is because they broke the law, cheated or rigged the election. If a Rep wins, it is clean and fair election. Got it.

/ dismissed.

ah, I see . So if a Dem wins it is because they broke the law, cheated or rigged the election. If a Rep wins, it is clean and fair election. Got it.

/ dismissed.
Wrong.

I spoke about two specific elections with specific candidates.

iu

Although I agree with Barr on this, I also believe Donald Trump's all-consuming narcissism precludes him from passing up a campaign run in 2024.
He is a true psychopath. He HAS to run. It will only benefit him. Rallies, adoration, and he can't possibly lose. If does, it must be rigged and he will continue to attack the cornerstone of his own country just to make himself feel better.

Back
Top Bottom