• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Forget the social justice stuff

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
That's one of many lines that caught my attention when listening to this fascinating interview with "economic geographer" David Harvey.

I'm struggling to explain it, but I'll say that economic interests of the 1980s kind of struck a deal with the remainder of the 1960s social justice movement to drop the fight over social justice and (the following is what I'm struggling with) we'll give in to some of the labor/union demands.

'Social wage' and 'individual wage' is another part of what is called 'neoliberalism.'

Here's a video of the interview, if you're interested.

By his own admission, he warns of extremist language, and yet, there he is, using it. I understand, but his justification is predicated on the theory of a man that lived in the 19th century. Harvey is a highly intellectual fellow, and I'll have to revisit this audio again, but the danger of his book worming - as per so many highly regarded professors - is that there is no sense of the real world, meaning this time and place. He admits that, too.. The biggest problem with Marxism - which even Harvey can't amalgamate easily into 21st century priorities - is that Marxism depends on the support of a "grateful" worker, that is compensated well and dignified for his or her effort. The problem is, that we are socially so far beyond the simplicity of that point in time. We have robots available now to vacuum our floors. We have robots doing our manufacturing. Mankind is asking different questions. Marxism can't seem to address modernism. In other words, we're already on a plateau where we no longer need to aspire to Marxist constructs. And frankly, it's capitalistic initiative - take Musk - that is propelling us into a more egalitarian future, as it has. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom