• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Foreign ministers to UN call for end to violence, bias against LGBT people

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
http://www.wisconsingazette.com/bre...end-to-violence-bias-against-lgbt-people.html

[h=1]Foreign ministers to UN call for end to violence, bias against LGBT people[/h]Foreign ministers attending the first ministerial meeting held at the United Nations on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender called on Sept. 26 for an end to violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity through a UN declaration.

<snip>
Participants included the U.S. Secretary of State, the foreign ministers of Argentina, Brazil, Croatia, the Netherlands and Norway, the French minister for development cooperation and senior officials from Japan, New Zealand and the European Union, as well as the executive directors of Human Rights Watch and the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, speaking at the meeting, said, "Advancing equality for LGBT persons isn’t just the right thing to do. It’s also fundamental to advancing democracy and human rights, which are at the foundation of American foreign policy, and I think the foreign policy of most of our colleagues, if not all of our colleagues here. We all know that as societies become more inclusive, they become better partners within the global community, and they become partners, all of whom are joined together by common values and common interests."

<snip>
“It is a tragedy that, in this second decade of the 21st century, consensual, adult, same-sex relations remain criminalized in far too many countries – exposing millions of people to the risk of arrest and imprisonment and, in some countries, the death penalty. These laws are inconsistent with States’ human rights obligations and commitments, including with respect to privacy and freedom from discrimination. In addition, they may lead to violations of the prohibitions against arbitrary arrest or detention and torture, and in some cases the right to life.”
Back up links:
http://www.trust.org/item/20130926195655-1kj55/?source=hppartner
http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/09/26/russia-absent-at-unprecedented-un-meeting-on-lgbt-rights/

Interesting. Not always a fan of the UN, I can admit that but they do good things in general. Its great to see this stepping up to a GLOBAL level. While there are things that could be argued more important common sense on this issues seems to be spreading everywhere.

Another stepping stone in the fight for equal rights for gays, im happy to witness it, its amazing watching logic, equality and civility win! Just more evidence that it will be here soon. 5 years max national gay rights in the use, bank on it.

Aint gonna happen. They tried it once before and it got blocked by the Muslims states, some Catholic states and... the US.

While I admire the sentiment, I highly doubt this is going to make Uganda straighten up and fly right.

While I admire the sentiment, I highly doubt this is going to make Uganda straighten up and fly right.

while i agree its nice to see the change is happening globally, human rights groups everywhere are trying to end the discrimination.

Back
Top Bottom