• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Foreign militaries and gays

WI Crippler

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Just an inquisition for the foreigners here. What are the policies towards gays in your militaries? All that is talked about is the US DADT policy. Do other countries harbor a similar attitude, allow them to serve openly?

If they allow them to serve openly, how is it arranged with regards to the barracks situation, if at all?

Just an inquisition for the foreigners here. What are the policies towards gays in your militaries? All that is talked about is the US DADT policy. Do other countries harbor a similar attitude, allow them to serve openly?

If they allow them to serve openly, how is it arranged with regards to the barracks situation, if at all?

I think it is mandatory for the French

Gays are allowed to serve openly here in Canada. No one I know in the military has ever said they disliked that policy, or ever mentioned anything about it at all.

Here in Australia they are allowed to serve openly, and treated as no different to straight soldiers.

I found this paragraph on wiki quite interesting.

Australia allows homosexuals to serve openly (since 1992, see LGBT rights in Australia). The Commonwealth of Australia policies are to permit gay men and lesbians to serve openly. Since 1 January 2009 same-sex couples have had the same access to military retirement pensions and superannuation as opposite-sex couples. Based on the results of prior studies, eighteen in-depth interviews with informed military and non-military observers, and other data, this studies have found that the lifting of the ban on gay service has not led to any identifiable negative effects on troop morale, combat effectiveness, recruitment and retention, or other measures of military performance. Furthermore, available evidence suggests that policy changes associated with the lifting of the ban may have contributed to improvements in productivity and working environments for service members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_orientation_and_military_service#Australia

I doubt Iran allows gays to serve openly. But then again, according to Mymood Isinajihad, there are no gays in Iran.... :mrgreen:

The Canadian military has a universal sexual misconduct policy. Gays can be out but, like straights, they are forbidden to engage in sexual activity while in active duty. As far as I know it has not affected unit cohesion and the debate about it died a long time ago. Despite people in the military trying to make it seem like they are a cut above the rest of society, they are bound by the same social politics as any human group. I think the understanding that they are there to do a job supersedes any problems.

I doubt Iran allows gays to serve openly. But then again, according to Mymood Isinajihad, there are no gays in Iran.... :mrgreen:

the US should invade then, yeah?

Last edited:
Military service or civil service is mandatory in Switzerland. I have never heard of any problems with gay recruits. But then again, we are the only country where citizens actually voted by popular referendum to legalize civil unions, so I don't think we give a **** if soldiers are gay or not.

Last edited:
Likewise the UK. We have no restrictions on gay servicemen/women. The idea behind equality is that people are treated as equals. Civil partnerships are recognised too.

"The Army does not accept discrimination of any kind by anyone. So, no matter what your ethnic background, race, religion, gender or sexual orientation, when you join we’ll give you the support you need to succeed...

The Army is a team and relies on different people with different skills working together towards a common goal. Discrimination, harassment and bullying stop soldiers from achieving their potential, damages unity and reduces operational effectiveness. They are not tolerated under any circumstances. In the Army you have a duty to treat everyone with respect. In return, you can expect to be treated the same way."

Back
Top Bottom