• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Foreign Aid sucks (right now but still needed)

Bergslagstroll

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
First a question to the people that say they don't like aid to Africa but at the same time say they care about Africa. Why are you not more worried about loans to Africa? Because if aid goes into the wrong pocket the rich western countries has wasted money but as little we give in reality that is no big problem for us. But if the loans goes into the wrong pockets and just make some rich people more rich it is the poor in that country that have to pay it back. So my first point is that yes there are problem with aid but it is hell lot better then loans.

And a big problem is not that the money is getting to african and they can spend it how they want and they spend it folishly. No in many cases aid comes with harsh demands like for example they can't have africans running the aid project but western expert that cost many times more then hiring locals that also would aid the local economy more. Also is a big problem is that the africans in many times have to buy western product from the country giving the aid that cost more then the market price making the aid a way to subsidies the doner countries companies.

Another huge problem is the lack of free trade but not that the african don't have it but that the USA and EU don't have it. That tariffs exists on import production that goes up you more refined the product is. So they can export orange pretty cheap but if they want to export orange juice the tariffs is much higher. At the same time they have to open up to western import creating the classic colonial example of export of raw materials import of western goods.

Also is a huge problem is that the USA and EU give alot more aid to there own agricultural and industrail sectorn then they give to africa. So my finale point is that aid could and should be good thing but isn't because of the EU and USA focus on there self interest.

Foreign aid should be increased. It could be a major help to American foreign policy,if it was administered right ! everything given should have a label saying " From THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ' .The Peace Corp. should be expanded and the volounteers given more perks for serving.

And we should stop giving 10 billion a year to Israel where we get nothing in return.:shock:

I wish Israel would lend us joint command with their intelligence force to stop terrorists...

Wish we stop using forgein aid just to for PR business, I wish we would use it for its intended purpose.

JOHNYJ said:
Foreign aid should be increased. It could be a major help to American foreign policy,if it was administered right ! everything given should have a label saying " From THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ' .The Peace Corp. should be expanded and the volounteers given more perks for serving.

Yep personally I think you in America could have much to gain by increasing your aid. Like for example that you spend around 400 billion dollar on your military to protect yourself from the world but only spend araound 20 billion dollar on non military aid to make the world better and thereby more safe.

Back
Top Bottom