• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ford wants to eliminate odor from new cars by baking them

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ford Motor Co. has filed a patent application for an odor-removal process that eliminates the new car smell after a vehicle has been purchased.

This is the latest attempt in an industry effort to accommodate consumer tastes in different parts of the world: Consumers in China say they hate the new car smell.

A lot of technology is involved in the patent application. The car would determine whether conditions are right to expel compounds, and the car would drive itself to a place in the sun and bake away the offensive odor.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2018/11/19/ford-new-car-smell-patent/2027822002/

Good! That smell is so nasty!

I love new car smell.

The most expensive 'air freshener' on the market. I love the old car price more.

It is expensive. The car loses like ten percent of its value the minute your tires leave the lot.

I used to tell my kids I paid extra for the smell.

We have close friends and relatives who are mechanics - they are an excellent source for obtaining quality used vehicles at very low prices. Once we get 250K to 300K miles on the vehicle then it's time to secure a replacement. We now have a 2002 Tahoe which replaced a 1995 Explorer.

Good. Just say no to volatile organic outgassing.

Lots of poisons smell sweet. You old-school crazies, bless your hearts, you didn't have as good of science/health education back when you were growing up :p

Lots of poisons smell sweet. You old-school crazies, bless your hearts, you didn't have as good of science/health education back when you were growing up :p

What's with the ageism? We knew. We just don't care. None of us had carpal tunnel at 15 from playing video games. Go sit in the corner.

My Honda smelled like natto but I figured it was me.

It has been awhile for me, I hate buying cars and dont generally ride in other peoples cars.....Anyway Microsoft daughter was over yesterday as we were doing our Thanksgiving and she was showing me he new thingy....I sat in it and I was like "Oh Ya...New car smell!".

I am a fan, whether it gives me cancer or not.

I love new car smell.

Yeah right! It's certainly better than that 'used car, with 2 previous owners, one of which was a cigar smoker smell'.

It is expensive. The car loses like ten percent of its value the minute your tires leave the lot.

That's why when I need a new car, I just park across the street from dealerships, wait til some rube buys a new car for $30,000, then follow him 1/4 mile down the road to the 7/11 where he stops for coffee, and as soon as he steps out of the car, I offer him $27,000 for it!

I agree that there's nothing worse than a half-baked car.

That's why when I need a new car, I just park across the street from dealerships, wait til some rube buys a new car for $30,000, then follow him 1/4 mile down the road to the 7/11 where he stops for coffee, and as soon as he steps out of the car, I offer him $27,000 for it!

i imagine that your success rate approaches zero unless threats made with a firearm are involved in the transaction.

i imagine that your success rate approaches zero unless threats made with a firearm are involved in the transaction.

Nope. I learned a strategy from several movies I've seen. I tell the new owner that I have exposed the car to a dangerous pathogen, and only I have the antidote. If he sells me the car, I'll give it the antidote. If he refuses to sell me the car for $27,000, I'll let the car die. This strategy hasn't worked well. It may be because in the movies, it was always a human who was covertly infected with a pathogen, not a car....

I remember the good ole days when the made lemon scented model glue.

Strangely enough our brand new Pacifica did not have the new car smell at all.
Even my bloodhound nosed daughter was wondering why. She was expecting it.

Back
Top Bottom