• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ford boycott threat over gay ads

Stinger said:
The gay community certainly called for advertisers to pull ads from Dr. Laura's show.
Quite a difference in condmening a person versus a corporation. All Ford did was advertise, they did not take any political stand of any type, they simply are trying to sell cars.

Dr. Laura, on the other hand campaigns visciously against Gays, is an outspoken critic of homosexuality. Ford is not condemning anything.

vergiss said:
I was addressing it to vague.

Can you provide a link regarding Dr Laura? It's something I seem to have missed over here.

Not any easier than if you do it yourself.

26 X World Champs said:
Quite a difference .........

The distinctions you try to make are specious. It's about the groups supporting or not supporting those who agree or disagree with them. Seems gays have a right to do so but Christians do not in your world.

Stinger said:
The distinctions you try to make are specious. It's about the groups supporting or not supporting those who agree or disagree with them. Seems gays have a right to do so but Christians do not in your world.
Is it beyond your ability to comprehend that Ford was running an ad to sell cars while the Christian Hate groups were making political statements?

Selling a car vs. attacking Gays is not the same no matter how ignorant anyone pretends to be or is.

One side is selling cars, the other side is selling hate, very Christian of the ridiculous right, isn't it?

Funny how the Christian Right is neither Chrtistian nor Right!

Stinger said:

No, the Christians have a right to do so as well.
But to the rest of the free thinking world... they look like a bunch of morons for boycotting an automotive company for ADVERTISING.....
Did you read that part yet, or are you ignoring it?
Thats all Ford did... advertise.
What did Dr. Laura do?
She made personal attacks on every gay in our country, even the world.
There is a LARGE difference.
BIG.... HUGE... ....

26 X World Champs said:
Is it beyond your ability to comprehend that Ford was running an ad to sell cars while the Christian Hate groups were making political statements?

Selling a car vs. attacking Gays is not the same no matter how ignorant anyone pretends to be or is.

One side is selling cars, the other side is selling hate, very Christian of the ridiculous right, isn't it?

LOL... we had the same idea...

but yeah... they ARE neither christian nor right.

26 X World Champs said:

A very good explanation on the difference between what the Christians want and what the gay community wanted regarding Dr. Laura.

Specious? :2funny:

Stinger said:
Not any easier than if you do it yourself.

I had tried and couldn't find one.

vergiss said:

Don't worry, vergiss, Stinger likes to say things like that, as though you're asking because you're too lazy to do the research yourself.

After reading through this thread and seeing that Ford isn't going to cave to pressure from the far right, I'm going to make my next car a Ford! I should mention that I've always driven foreign cars in the past, but since Dr. Laura Ignorama says I shouldn't buy one... Funny how her words are going to have the exact opposite of her desired effect on at least some those who don't share her views, isn't it?

Caine said:
No, the Christians have a right to do so as well.
But to the rest of the free thinking world... they look like a bunch of morons for boycotting an automotive company for ADVERTISING.....
Did you read that part yet, or are you ignoring it?
Thats all Ford did... advertise.
What did Dr. Laura do?
She made personal attacks on every gay in our country, even the world.
There is a LARGE difference.
BIG.... HUGE... ....

You miss the whole point. It's not about what Ford said or what Dr. Laura said, it is about pressuring adveritiser's about your point of view. The Christians groups dont like what the gay magazines say so they pressured Ford, an advertiser. The same way the gay groups didn;t like what Dr. Laura said so they pressure her advertisers.

And the same could be said about "the morons" who boycotted the adverisers of Dr. Laura.

Stinger said:
You miss the whole point. It's not about what Ford said or what Dr. Laura said, it is about pressuring adveritiser's about your point of view. The Christians groups dont like what the gay magazines say so they pressured Ford, an advertiser. The same way the gay groups didn;t like what Dr. Laura said so they pressure her advertisers.

And the same could be said about "the morons" who boycotted the adverisers of Dr. Laura.

Although I do agree with that last statement, I also disagree.

Dr. Laura made criminalizing statements about gays.
Ford just has advertisements in a Gay Magazine.
Not saying I know much about Gay Magazines, but gays typically aren't as hostile towards those who discriminate against them as the people who discriminate against them are.

26 X World Champs said:

Is it beyond your ability to comprehend that the adverisers who were running ads on Dr. Laura's show were running those ads to sell products while the Gay groups were making a political statement?

Well you done a good job of confusing the issues, when you get them straight get back to me.

If the gay groups have a right to protest to the advertisers of Dr. Laura's show and boycott their products because they don't agree with her views then why don't Christians have a right to protest to the advertisers in Gay publications, including FordMoCo because they don't agree with those views?

Comprende' now?

I don't know why these Christian conservative groups would have a problem with Ford advertising in Gay magazines. Gay people drive cars don't they?

Just because you sell a product to someone doesn't mean that you are suddenly going to share all of their political views....

Should Republican's start boycotting businesses that donated to the GOP, if they advertise in magazines that are bought by liberals?

Come on, this is capitalism, Ford has every right to advertise to gay groups, Christian groups, the NRA, whoever.

This just shows some of the storm-in-a-tea-cup stories that sometimes come out of the U.S.A.

:twocents:

aps said:
A very good explanation on the difference between what the Christians want and what the gay community wanted regarding Dr. Laura.

Specious? :2funny:

So it is your position that gay groups have a right to boycott companies who sponor opinion they disagree with but Christian groups do not. That's pretty restrictive, what happen to free speech and all that?

Australianlibertarian said:
I don't know why these Christian conservative groups would have a problem with Ford advertising in Gay magazines. Gay people drive cars don't they?

OK what about the advertisers on Dr. Laura's show, the listeners to her show used those products. bit it was OK to for gays to boycott them and even urge straights to.

Just because you sell a product to someone doesn't mean that you are suddenly going to share all of their political views....

Did that apply equally to the advertisers on Dr. Laura's show?

Should Republican's start boycotting businesses that donated to the GOP, if they advertise in magazines that are bought by liberals?

Depends. I don't think this is a case of gays just happen to by the magazine, ala TV Guide or Time. These are issue oriented magazines and put out a political agenda.

Come on, this is capitalism, Ford has every right to advertise to gay groups, Christian groups, the NRA, whoever.

OK and all the advertisers on Dr. Laura's show had every right to advertise there, but the gay groups boycotted them. Why don't Christians groups have the same right?

This just shows some of the storm-in-a-tea-cup stories that sometimes come out of the U.S.A.

Sure seems to have gotten your interest.

People can boycott all they want, there's nothing wrong with it. What was wrong is that the Christian groups tried to strongarm Ford into pulling the ads from the magazines. Ford is a corporation, just trying to make a buck, they don't care where they're advertising, as long as the ads are bringing in the business.

The point is, that Ford were not advocating any political point in their adverts, so I don't understand why certain Christian groups would have a problem with the advert.

The gay boycott of products advertised on Dr. Laura's show doesn't make much sense either. Because they are probably better to go after Dr. Laura's bigoted remarks, rather than the corporations.

Thing is corporations don't have morality, because the only thing they are interested, is their legal obligation to make profit for their shareholders. So Ford Motor Corporation will advertise, to every section of the car buying public.

So for me, this is a non-issue. If I was a Ford Motor employee or shareholder, I wouldn't be worried about who Ford were selling or advertising cars too, I'd rather get increased sales and dollars.

Since I live in Geelong Australia, which has a Ford engine stamping plant, I take a lot of interest in issues relating to Ford's profitability.

You still haven't provided any links to back up your claims regarding the gays' boycott, Stinger.

I think the Ford family learned its lesson about being anti anything around 50-60 years ago. Henry's anti-semitism bit him in the butt big time. His link with Hitler wasn't exactly a good decision, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford#Anti-Semitism_and_The_Dearborn_Independent

Christians tend to forget one of Christ's commandments, "judge not lest you be judged". He also said that it is not up to us to decide, or punish, but that we should leave judgment and condemnation to God.
Let God decide what is a sin, what is not, and just live your own lives according to your beliefs, without trying to force those beliefs on others.
That is the true Christian way, believe it or not.:smile:

UtahBill said:
Christians tend to forget one of Christ's commandments, "judge not lest you be judged". He also said that it is not up to us to decide, or punish, but that we should leave judgment and condemnation to God.
Let God decide what is a sin, what is not, and just live your own lives according to your beliefs, without trying to force those beliefs on others.

I'm not Christian (anymore), but.....

AMEN!!!!

UtahBill said:
I think the Ford family learned its lesson about being anti anything around 50-60 years ago. Henry's anti-semitism bit him in the butt big time. His link with Hitler wasn't exactly a good decision, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford#Anti-Semitism_and_The_Dearborn_Independent

AMEN PRAISE THE LOARD PRAISE JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS!!!

lol... I like making fun of the southern baptists who go nuts.

Im not a Christian.
But I seriously wish you people who keep destroying my tarnished image of Christianity would speak up publicly (like on TV and stuff) against the ignorant teachings of those like Rev. Spitz (check out the link in my signature), The KKK's Christian Ministry, and Pat Robertson, that Farwell dude or whatever, etc.

Those idgits make y'all look bad.

Stace said:
People can boycott all they want, there's nothing wrong with it. What was wrong is that the Christian groups tried to strongarm Ford into pulling the ads from the magazines.

Which is exactly what the gay groups tried to do, and did do, to the advertisers of the Dr. Laura show. So again, why was it perfectly OK for them to do exactly what the Christian groups are doing?

Australianlibertarian said:
The point is, that Ford were not advocating any political point in their adverts, so I don't understand why certain Christian groups would have a problem with the advert.

Neither were the advertisers on the Dr. Laura show, that is the point. But without advertisers she could not produce her show so they went after them. The Christians groups are doing exactly the same. But it seems it's OK for the gay groups but not for the Christian groups.

I have done very similar. That is write to an advertiser of a program which had objectionable material and telling them that if they continue to support that program, keeping it on the air, I would no longer support their product by buying it. The Civil Rights groups did very similar things during the 60's and 70's.

The gay boycott of products advertised on Dr. Laura's show doesn't make much sense either.

It worked. She lost he TV show. Now I admit partly because she is just not a TV person, but some advertisers did drop their support do to the boycott.

Thing is corporations don't have morality, because the only thing they are interested, is their legal obligation to make profit for their shareholders. So Ford Motor Corporation will advertise, to every section of the car buying public.

And if they advertised in a magazine which promoted segregation I would boycott thier products.

Since I live in Geelong Australia, which has a Ford engine stamping plant, I take a lot of interest in issues relating to Ford's profitability.

Which is not too good.

vergiss said:

Funny I did it in about 2 seconds with over 4,000 hits.

"In 2000, Schlessinger signed a deal with Paramount Television to do a Dr. Laura television program. Thousands of critics, particularly led by gay activist groups such as the Stop Dr. Laura website, threatened to boycott sponsors in advance of the show. This led to skepticism and reluctance on the part of potential advertisers. When the television show finally aired in September 2000, many critics and viewers found it dull in format and lacking the energy and interest of her radio show. [6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Schlessinger

Back
Top Bottom