• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Forced religion in the USA

I've always considered it a vague reference to an overall superior being or beings - genderless. Just like the term 'mankind'
Sure - many don't think of it that way (past and present) - but that's always been my consideration and thus why it doesn't bother me.
It's still a reference. Your interpretation of the words "under [beneath, less than, subordinate to, subject to] God [There are too many interpretations of the word for me to list, but the word "God" is singular and thus implies a certain unity that might be contrary to the beliefs of some polytheists]" stretches the definition of the words away from their more common usages. If the only possible interpretation of the words was simple, direct and literal, would you agree that the words, when there is a recitation led by government employees in front of a captive audience, come close to government promotion of religious belief?

If one doesn't believe in a higher power, one can't recognize that.

The one thing all religions have in common, including atheism, is that their believers have the need to believe in something or someone greater and/or wiser than themselves.

ricksfolly

The one thing all religions have in common, including atheism, is that their believers have the need to believe in something or someone greater and/or wiser than themselves.
And what is this "greater something" for atheists?

Two issues here, being brainwashed into believing their is a God, and being brainwashed into respecting the piece of cloth known as the US flag, which really has no meaning to kids except during a war and certain holidays.

ricksfolly

Or brainwashed into thinking there is no "God", but that is your right and personal choice.
Or brainwashed into not caring about tradition of your grandparents or parents.

Got to ask, how do you show support/loyality/respect for the US ?

Or brainwashed into thinking there is no "God", but that is your right and personal choice.
Or brainwashed into not caring about tradition of your grandparents or parents.

Got to ask, how do you show support/loyality/respect for the US ?

Do you bellyfeel the ingsoc as much as I? Methinks not.

And what is this "greater something" for atheists? >>

(ans) Belief in science, psychology, philosophy, logic, and money...ricksfolly>>

How are any of these concepts "greater" or "wiser" than a human being?

(ans) They involve real people, involved in real projects, not imagined influence from ghosts, Gods, or other unseen forces.

(see above for full context)

ricksfolly

It's still a reference. Your interpretation of the words "under [beneath, less than, subordinate to, subject to] God [There are too many interpretations of the word for me to list, but the word "God" is singular and thus implies a certain unity that might be contrary to the beliefs of some polytheists]" stretches the definition of the words away from their more common usages. If the only possible interpretation of the words was simple, direct and literal, would you agree that the words, when there is a recitation led by government employees in front of a captive audience, come close to government promotion of religious belief?

So now it's the word 'under' that's the issue? This is actually the first time I've read this slant on the argument - it's a different perspective, *under*standably.
I have a feeling, though, that if it read "one Nation - BECAUSE of God" or "One Nation - RELATIVE to God" - you'd still have an issue.

And what is this "greater something" for atheists? >>

(ans) Belief in science, psychology, philosophy, logic, and money...ricksfolly>>

(ans) They involve real people, involved in real projects, not imagined influence from ghosts, Gods, or other unseen forces.

(see above for full context)

ricksfolly

I apologize for not being clear enough. I am asking how you are reaching the conclusion that science, logic, philosophy, etc., are somehow "greater" than a human being.

So now it's the word 'under' that's the issue? This is actually the first time I've read this slant on the argument - it's a different perspective, *under*standably.
I have a feeling, though, that if it read "one Nation - BECAUSE of God" or "One Nation - RELATIVE to God" - you'd still have an issue.
My point is your definition is a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom