• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For you sceptics: Microsoft confirms Milo

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Microsoft has shown off its "virtual human" that reacts to a person's emotions, body movements and voice.

Milo, as he is known, is designed for use with the firm's hands-free Xbox 360 motion controller called Kinect.

The technology is the brainchild of veteran UK games designer Peter Molyneux.

"I want to introduce a new revolution in storytelling," he told the TED (Technology, Entertainment and Design) Global conference in Oxford.

"Films, TV, even hallowed books, are just rubbish because they don't involve me," he said. "It's a sea of blandness."

Mr Molyneux said that he wanted to create a character "that seemed alive, that would look me in the eyes, and feel real".

BBC News - 'Virtual human' Milo comes out to play at TED in Oxford

No plans to release in commercial.

So pissed off right now. :(

Trust microsoft to withhold the one product everybody wants from them.

Honestly, I could care less about Kinect, besides the Minority Report like menu function it promises it doesn't really appeal to me. I mean, how is Kinect going to improve games like Mass Effect?

And if they ruin a good game buy needlessly putting Kinect into a game that doesn't need it I'm going to flip.

Actually he did drop the ball pretty hardcore with B&W2

Why what happened? By the way, is that a good game? Im a huge elders fan so im wondering if its going to be to my taste.

Why what happened? By the way, is that a good game? Im a huge elders fan so im wondering if its going to be to my taste.
B&W was a fantastic game that I felt really had a lot of depth and complexity as well as actual uses for your Creature. The second one was overly simplistic and shallow and your creature seemed pretty much like a big villager. The impetus is on BUILDING and the AI is almost pants-on-head retarded such that once you build a wall and a few towers, you're pretty much untouchable if you keep the enemy creature away.

The first B&W is frickin' modern art, the second....is...a pretty average game. If you can play a demo of the second one or pick it up REALLY cheap, then do it. But dont pay more than about 12 bucks for it.

Last edited:
ONCE!

And Microsoft agree's with him on this one.

Fable, Fable II, B&W II

Both Fable games had most of the big features cut.

Honestly, I could care less about Kinect, besides the Minority Report like menu function it promises it doesn't really appeal to me. I mean, how is Kinect going to improve games like Mass Effect?

And if they ruin a good game buy needlessly putting Kinect into a game that doesn't need it I'm going to flip.

I think it could work. The problem I see with it is, no one is going to nail leg movement, because gamers feel too differently about it. Some want to be able to use a traditional controller of some sort, others are okay with doing nothing at all (game on rails), while others may want to feel like their legs have to be interactive with the environment. Then the problem is props. We will want props, but Microsoft is wanting to stress a lack of physical objects. But the likelyhood of props in the future spells financial success for companies, and death to the consumer's wallet. If you want to suck every bit of money out of your consumer, Microsoft has it covered. $50 bucks a year for Xbox live, payed DLC content, and now likely a huge accessories marketplace....

There is a saying at Head-Fi.org (headphone web forum) whenever someone gets the urge to spend more than he/she thought possible with headphones that I think would be most useful: Welcome to Xbox, sorry about your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom