• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd[W:71]

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I am trying to wrap my head around something. I guess it will never work for me because I protect myself.

What will you do in the event of a threat of violence/imminent danger against you or your family? I mean someone actively breaking in/threatening you in public (menacing)/and so on?

I don't understand. Why would you seek for me to be less prepared? I have my answer. Why does that answer need to conform to yours? Why seek to limit me? I don't want to put a gun in your hand. I only wish for you to have the option.

Re: For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd

Many gun control advocates seriously believe the police can protect you.

The average police response time is like what, 5 minutes? Good luck till then... (no, don't try to kill me till the police get here... nooooooo)

Not only that, but courts have ruled that the police don't have an obligation to respond to 911 calls.

For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd

The average police response time is like what, 5 minutes? Good luck till then... (no, don't try to kill me till the police get here... nooooooo)

Not only that, but courts have ruled that the police don't have an obligation to respond to 911 calls.

Sadly I am aware of this. I am also aware that there won't be anyone that will be able to answer this.

I am trying to wrap my head around something. I guess it will never work for me because I protect myself.

What will you do in the event of a threat of violence/imminent danger against you or your family? I mean someone actively breaking in/threatening you in public (menacing)/and so on?

I don't understand. Why would you seek for me to be less prepared? I have my answer. Why does that answer need to conform to yours? Why seek to limit me? I don't want to put a gun in your hand. I only wish for you to have the option.

Their bizarre theory seems to be that "reasonable restrictions" on guns will prevent bad guys from being bad guys. When presented with ample evidence of the effects of a complete nationwide ban of "street drugs" for decades, gangs and thugs getting very rich and powerful, they still assert that "gun control" is really going to accomplish bad guy/crime control.

In fairness, the average gun control advocate is ok with individuals owning a handgun for home defense.

Average time in my area is 8, and that is a city/parish(county) imposed legal requirement. Iirc the national average response time is somewhere between 13-25 min. which is quite insufficient in a imminent threat situation.

In fairness, the average gun control advocate is ok with individuals owning a handgun for home defense.
Not from what I've seen, a lot of the people arguing for it want national laws mirroring Chicago and D.C. and they are very handgun unfriendly, even in one's home.

Not from what I've seen, a lot of the people arguing for it want national laws mirroring Chicago and D.C. and they are very handgun unfriendly, even in one's home.

My guess is that those are just the loudest among them, not the majority. There is certainly a large contingent of those though, and IMO they are very wrong.

I am sure it varies from circle to circle. But even on this board I think the majority, not all, of those who advocate total abolition don't live in the US.

My guess is that those are just the loudest among them, not the majority. There is certainly a large contingent of those though, and IMO they are very wrong.
I don't think they are a majority, but you could be right, they may be the highest volume speakers of the bunch. Big problem is that many in authority positions swing that way, that is of concern. If you think they are wrong I respect that, if you feel something needs to be done, of course there are things that satisfy my side's constitutional stances and still accomplish some legal penalties for criminals.

I am sure it varies from circle to circle. But even on this board I think the majority, not all, of those who advocate total abolition don't live in the US.
Possibly. I know the anti gun crowd during my college days were full ban types, there were some control advocates who were reasonable and the latter I've had good discussions with, the former I completely wrote off in the discussions.

Which individuals, which handguns and under what conditions? I am then only allowed to be safe (defend myself) in my home? What a warm and fuzzy feeling that is. :roll:

Since when did the 2A drop the and bear part?

Possibly. I know the anti gun crowd during my college days were full ban types, there were some control advocates who were reasonable and the latter I've had good discussions with, the former I completely wrote off in the discussions.

You could be right. It's just that in most issues the ones who feel most strongly about it and are the most extreme are by far the loudest. Either way there are a lot of full ban types, who make up a large part of the internet pro-gun-control side, so I can see how it could look that way.

You could be right. It's just that in most issues the ones who feel most strongly about it and are the most extreme are by far the loudest. Either way there are a lot of full ban types, who make up a large part of the internet pro-gun-control side, so I can see how it could look that way.
Them, and the groups they agree with. I don't have a problem with due process gun control, and there is middle ground on certain crew type weapons, I think automatics restrictions are overkill because they really aren't all that useful to the bad guys, but I'm willing to discuss these things with reasonable people. When I'm told by someone that my second amendment rights should be stripped by law and my property confiscated without recompense I tend to get a bit defensive.

Them, and the groups they agree with. I don't have a problem with due process gun control, and there is middle ground on certain crew type weapons, I think automatics restrictions are overkill because they really aren't all that useful to the bad guys, but I'm willing to discuss these things with reasonable people. When I'm told by someone that my second amendment rights should be stripped by law and my property confiscated without recompense I tend to get a bit defensive.

I totally understand. There are a few things I'd be willing to compromise on or at the very least reasonably discuss, but those that automatically jump to full ban for all firearms, or something close to that get under my skin too.

Are you a prepper?

For now....

Brb, attackers used assault weapons, so we need to ban those.
Attackers used high round magazines... we need to ban those.
OMG, attackers used 10 round magazines, we need to reduce the limit to 5.
Attackers are now using 5 round magazines, we need to ban all but single round.
OMG, attackers used regular rifles, we need to ban those.

Crap, attackers are now using handguns, we need to ban those.

If it saves just one life, its WORTH IT!!! (sob, sob sob). We need to ban ALL guns.

Years later:

*News Anchor: The ATF reports that the black market for guns is continuing to flourish. Despite best efforts, foreign imports are continuing unabated. Underground gun manufacturers are likely making significant contributions*

Gun control advocates: WHAT!!!! Why isn't it working? It worked for drugs and alcohol.

Oh wait....

Last edited:

I think you're confused about who those who want gun control are. Surprise! Many of them own guns.

I think you're confused about who those who want gun control are. Surprise! Many of them own guns.

Yes, many are hypocrites, like Sen. Feinstein who has a CCW permit.

It might help explain his need to "prepare."

What does his "need to prepare" have to do with whether or not he should be allowed to?

really, you protect yourself from what?

I guess i do not walk around in fear of such things. It is pretty amazing since i live as part of one of the groups that has the most violence committed against them in the US. I have been in the worst areas of every major city on the east coast of the US, and never needed a gun. I have had to deal with criminals to buy drugs, and yet never needed a gun. perhaps it is me, I grew up in NY and maybe we are tougher than the rest. Do you often get attacked and need to live in fear? How many times a year have you been attacked and needed your gun? how many times have you had to protect your family from an armed intruder intent on doing them harm? Sounds like you live a pretty scary life.
I don't understand. Why would you seek for me to be less prepared?

Do you walk around with your gun out ready to shoot that person who comes up to you ready to do you in? If not you are not prepared to stop them. Look at Zimmerman. he came into a hostile situation with his gun loaded and ready top shoot. It would seem that despite that he ended up below treyvon with his head being pounded into the pavement. His head was hammered into the pavement at least 6 times, he was knocked to the ground where treyvon got on top of him, he was punched in the head repeatedly, and he came into the situation loaded and ready as you would ever be unless you have your gun out and aimed all the time. What good does your preparation do you in the case of someone determined to get you when you will be delayed enough for them to get the upper hand by having to decide to pull your gun and then having to actually go through the time to do so?
I have my answer. Why does that answer need to conform to yours? Why seek to limit me? I don't want to put a gun in your hand. I only wish for you to have the option.

If you are not constantly prepared for conflict you will be caught flat footed because surprise is a great advantage. Most criminals do not walk up to you and declare their intentions and give you an honorable shot. They pretty much look for you to be at your weakest and try to get the upper hand before you can respond, or they look to do things when you are not around. This means your gun is really pretty ineffective as protection, and it is really there to calm your fears and give you the illusion of security. Now if you want to lie to yourself and say you are secure because you have a gun then that is your business, but please do not expect me to conform to your delusion and play pretend with you. I know full well if i had malicious intent towards someone who was armed that their gun would never make a difference in the situation. If i am going that far they have no chance because i won't give it to them. Your gun only gives you a chance with people who are not dedicated to physically harming you in the first place. You might get lucky and my first few hits do not incapacitate you, but you will take the hits before you can draw. Not much security in that if you ask me.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? Would owning one likely make you a prepper?

I didn't make up the term "prepper". So if you have a problem with the term then I suggest you take it up the preppers. Now if you don't mind, the question was for Stonewall to answer, not you.

Back
Top Bottom