• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd[W:71]

Re: For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd

In the past I've asked in a poll on the forum if a person should be allowed to used force to prevent theft? Most people on the forum who responded have the opinion that peoples could steal everything and anything you have. Nor have you lost anything because you then just make a claim to an insurance company - which immediately will pay any and all claims in full - because insurance companies have infinite amounts of money and just print off however much they need for free. That was the majority view of the forum.

Having a firearm at home in the event of a home invasion is no different than having a fire extinguisher in the case of a fire. Not all gun owners are preppers, how that obvious point evaded you is beyond me.

Also, its spelt Sequitur.
False dichotomy. Having a bigger arsenal than most countries inside your house to prepare for an Apocalypse is a lot different than just having a fire extinguisher on hand to put out a small grease fire. How a prepper such as yourself missed that obvious point is beyond me.

False dichotomy. Having a bigger arsenal than most countries inside your house to prepare for an Apocalypse is a lot different than just having a fire extinguisher on hand to put out a small grease fire. How a prepper such as yourself missed that obvious point is beyond me.

What false dichotomy? What two things that I said cannot both be true? I don't think you know what that logical fallacy means. I never suggested having a fire extinguisher made one a prepper, you fallacious logic leads to that ridiculous conclusion.

False Premise: Just what prepper has a bigger arsenal than ANY country. You're making **** up. Your ridiculous hyperbole serves no function.

Last edited:

So. If someone breaks into your home...how long do you think it is going to take for police to arrive? What are you doing till the police get there

Someone did break into my home. After I discovered we were robbed, I called the police and filed a police report. Do you plan on always being home when you get robbed?

And calling me a prepper is childish. You are trying to insult me. Sad.
No, but I think you just insulted Lachean who just happens to be a prepper. lol Anyone who has a fire extinguisher is a prepper in his eyes.

Speaking of childish baseless non sequitars, what does your question about fire extinquishers have to do with my question to Stonewall?

The logic sped right by again for you.

What false dichotomy? What two things that I said cannot both be true? I don't think you know what that logical fallacy means. I never suggested having a fire extinguisher made one a prepper, you fallacious logic leads to that ridiculous conclusion.

False Premise: Just what prepper has a bigger arsenal than ANY country. You're making **** up. Your ridiculous hyperbole serves no function.
You made a fallacious exaggerated comparison between a prepper and a fire extinguisher and now you're resorting to ad homimen attacks. You lose.

Someone did break into my home. After I discovered we were robbed, I called the police and filed a police report. Do you plan on always being home when you get robbed?

No, but I think you just insulted Lachean who just happens to be a prepper. lol Anyone who has a fire extinguisher is a prepper in his eyes.

That is a lie.

In the past I've asked in a poll on the forum if a person should be allowed to used force to prevent theft? Most people on the forum who responded have the opinion that peoples could steal everything and anything you have. Nor have you lost anything because you then just make a claim to an insurance company - which immediately will pay any and all claims in full - because insurance companies have infinite amounts of money and just print off however much they need for free. That was the majority view of the forum.

Come into my home, to steal, use the bathroom, threaten, kick my dog, you name it. You die, or I will be doing my best to kill you. Promise.

Come into my home, to steal, use the bathroom, threaten, kick my dog, you name it. You die, or I will be doing my best to kill you. Promise.

Be careful, as you will scare the weak-willed and the pushovers.

There have been many home invasions in the big city north of me.

Living out in the country is safer, and our county Sheriff (a good friend) is very pro-gun and very pro self defense.

He knows that his deputies cannot be everywhere at the same time, and completely supports that we take care of ourselves.

You made a fallacious exaggerated comparison between a prepper and a fire extinguisher and now you're resorting to ad homimen attacks. You lose.

Really? What was the fallacy? I expect you're too ignorant to name it.

What ad-hominem? I made no personal attacks.

A person who buys a fire extinguisher for a fire is no more a prepper than a person who buys a firearm for self defense. What fallacy is at play here?

You who can never admit when she is wrong. Tell me again how 48,000 people where killed in the past 5 months :lamo

Yeah whatever. You're full of **** But will say "Whatever" when in fact YOU LOSE. You're an amateur debater and I will school you every time you step to me, little girl. After your last failure to admit you were wrong, I'll never take your bull**** seriously.

Last edited:
For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd

Someone did break into my home. After I discovered we were robbed, I called the police and filed a police report. Do you plan on always being home when you get robbed?.

So what you are saying is your experience with a break in is completely irrelevant to the instance I am discussing. Thank you for clarifying. What would you do if you were home?

Oh. And I don't care if I am not home. I can only do so much when I am not there. All I care about is when I or my family is.

Cut the childish crap moot. You know damn well the point he made. You also know you are using this word "prepper" like it is an insult. Like there is something fundamentally wrong with being ready for things. Many Boy Scouts would scoff at your ignorance. So would Aesop's ants there miss grasshopper.

Get over yourself. Your petty insulting hissy fits have become too much. If you wonder why nobody is willing to deal with you like you are an adult, look no further than that.

A person who buys a fire extinguisher for a fire is no more a prepper than a person who buys a firearm for self defense. What fallacy is at play here?

You who can never admit when she is wrong. Tell me again how 48,000 people where killed in the past 5 months :lamo

Yeah whatever. You're full of **** But will say "Whatever" when in fact YOU LOSE. You're an amateur debater and I will school you every time you step to me, little girl. After your last failure to admit you were wrong, I'll never take your bull**** seriously.

OH LORD!!!!

Since I buy food to feed the kids each week, I am a prepper!!!???????

Bwaahaahaa!!!

So what you are saying is your experience with a break in is completely irrelevant to the instance I am discussing. Thank you for clarifying. What would you do if you were home?

Oh. And I don't care if I am not home. I can only do so much when I am not there. All I care about is when I or my family is.

Cut the childish crap moot. You know damn well the point he made. You also know you are using this word "prepper" like it is an insult. Like there is something fundamentally wrong with being ready for things. Many Boy Scouts would scoff at your ignorance. So would Aesop's ants there miss grasshopper.

Get over yourself. Your petty insulting hissy fits have become too much. If you wonder why nobody is willing to deal with you like you are an adult, look no further than that.

Ding, ding, ding!

QFT!

Just click the link I posted in post #62 and see just how irrational and incapable of admitting fault this ignoramus is.

All my cars have jumper cables, can I be a prepper too?

Well, according to Moot, since nobody can tell the future, we can all just lay down to die!!!

Ain't no point trying to prepare for self defense, so I propose that we all do the following:

Don't buy food assuming that your family might need to eat.
Don't buy a house with the thought that you might need to live somewhere.
Don't buy gasoline for your car thinking that you might need to drive.
Don't buy lighter clothes assuming that it will be warm in the spring and summer.
Don't buy warmer clothes for the fall and winter.
Don't buy heating oil, fuel oil or gas by believing that your house will need to be kept warm
Don't buy electricity, thinking that you need to shower, bathe, cook, clean, or survive.
Don't have any animals, assuming that you might need non-human companionship in the future.

WARNING: If you ignore this list, and do any of these, or similiar tings, Moot will brand you as a PREPPER!

Avoid the shame of the Prepper Label, and do nothing.

All hail Moot! She rocks!

Ya know what, nevermind. **** this forum and the rules that defend ignoramuses. I'm done with it. Last post on DP. **** this bull****.

Well, according to Moot, since nobody can tell the future, we can all just lay down to die!!!

Ain't no point trying to prepare for self defense, so I propose that we all do the following:

Don't buy food assuming that your family might need to eat.
Don't buy a house with the thought that you might need to live somewhere.
Don't buy gasoline for your car thinking that you might need to drive.
Don't buy lighter clothes assuming that it will be warm in the spring and summer.
Don't buy warmer clothes for the fall and winter.
Don't buy heating oil, fuel oil or gas by believing that your house will need to be kept warm
Don't buy electricity, thinking that you need to shower, bathe, cook, clean, or survive.
Don't have any animals, assuming that you might need non-human companionship in the future.

WARNING: If you ignore this list, and do any of these, or similiar tings, Moot will brand you as a PREPPER!

Avoid the shame of the Prepper Label, and do nothing.

All hail Moot! She rocks!

Good afternoon, SMTA. :2wave:

Uh oh! What is the awful penalty I can expect if I disregard those dire warnings, and become a PREPPER? Too horrible to put in writing?

:eek:

:afraid:

:lamo:

Moderator's Warning:
The pile on stops now. Moderation has occurred and there will be more if there are any more personal comments, or if there is any further violent rhetoric.

What am I? A psychic? The best answer I can give you is violence against myself or my family. That could be from a fellow human, or an animal.

Well, if you wish to be effective in prevention or protection the method actually makes some difference. I just do not get what you are worried about. If you are talking about a criminal with actual violent intentions they are simply going to wait until you are not prepared. If they are after your family they will come for them when they are alone. If they are after you they will come at you when you are distracted and flat footed. If they are ready for violence you will be caught off guard unless you are extremely lucky or on guard all the time. You do not live in a warzone so you go about your life most of the time in a casual manner not prepared to immediately defend yourself or your family. You may think you are quick to react, but in that little bit of time a person ready for violence is going to get the first few hits and all you can do is just hope they don't incapacitate you with them so you can respond with your gun. This makes other methods of protection and prevention more effective than owning a gun.

Lol! CLASSIC dodge! Past events cannot dictate future outcomes. I didnt ask you what you DID do. I asked you what you WOULD do. It sounds to me like you would get a handy ass kicking or killed. I hope for your sake you don't get victimized, but I won't shed a tear if you are.

Again, i do not live in fear of what ifs. I am certainly not going to live in fear because something may happen someday. Being that jumpy probably doesn't make for the level head needed to decide about taking a person's life. You seem to like what ifs, so what if you don't know the person you assume is a violent criminal is just a member of your family poking around in the house? What if you shoot them because you are worried so much about violence? You cannot take back a bullet.
As a side note. Do you base all of your life choices on what HAS happened to you and not possible consequences for lack of preparedness? Your willful admittance to drug usage suggest to me that you aren't really the long term planning type lol. You got insurance? Fire extinguishers? Do you know the number to 911?

I base things off of the experiences I have had in life. Experiences which have shown that the need of a gun for protection is pretty small considering what I have been through. You are basing your ideas off of what ifs that you cannot even explain. At least i have based my POV off of reality and not some things I have imagined. you are worried about people attacking you, yet you are not going to be constantly prepared, and you are giving yourself a false sense of security in a gun that may be very useless if you are not ready when the problem comes to use it. the gun is not going to shoot itself.
Ps:

New Yorkers being tough. Lol! That is hilarious. Let me know when you can take a 9mm and be ok though.

If that is your argument your gun gives you no more chance than i have. If someone comes up to shoot you and you do not shoot them first they will hit you first. if you are really worried about being shot by someone body armor would be a much better choice for protection as your gun will not be useful against a person who wants to put bullets in you. Really, do you think killers walk up like in the movies and start talking to you before they kill you? Do they announce their intentions? only if they are really stupid. If they wanted to shoot you they would just walk up and shoot you before you could even think about going for your gun. So that argument makes no sense at all. If they do not shoot you first then their intention is not to kill you and trying to pull a gun is just a reason for them to start shooting.

So you admit you are misinformed on the Zimmerman issue? His gun wasn't at the ready. It was in a holster on his person. I have a concealed weapons license and I carry 95% of the time I walk out the door. But I wouldn't have been in Zimmerman's situation. I would never have gotten out of the truck. All the preparation in the world won't help you if you ignore principle self defense rules. I'm not saying Z wanted to be in that situation, but it was his own actions that put him at risk. On top of that I have trained martial arts for years. A kid Ts size would be at an extreme disadvantage with me...I'm 6'1 260 with grappling knowledge.

You see, you are ignoring the point. You admit you walk around just like zimmerman most of the time. His gun had a bukllet in the chamber and was as ready as your is. He also approached the situation in a prepared stance for violence. He wasn't there to say hi, he was there to confront what he thought was a criminal. he had all the same concerns you would in the same situation. You can say what you wish about grappling, but zimmerman was not inexperienced in fighting. Apply the situation to your question. let us say treyvon was there to commit violence against zimmerman which is why zimmerman had a gun for self protection, just like you. He would have the upper hand because as a law abiding citizen you are going to delay. you have rules you must follow. A criminal doesn't follow the rules which makes your view of your effectiveness distorted from reality.

You are clearly trying to put on a do not screw with me attitude. First it is the gun, and now it is your hight and weight and your grappling ability. That is all nice if you are in a place with rules and where the other person isn't going to cheap shot you. You make it seem like a person coming to attack you is going to give you a chance. Criminals look for an advantage which is either a weak victim or a victim in a weak position they can exploit. You admit you are not a weak victim so they will exploit you in another way, or avoid you completely and hit your family as you say you are worried about. yes, your training may help if the criminal screws up and you get a chance, or if the criminal is some petty thief or something like that who is not interested in physically fighting you.

Oh and situational awareness is something I do not lack. You are essentially telling me that I will be a victim regardless of what I do to defend myself. You should teach rape defense courses. "Just accept your fate."

you are not even as close to as aware as you think. It is not terribly hard to get the first shot or two on a person if you are dedicated to the conflict. You walk around as a regular person who is not killing every person who gets close to you. because of that a person who is set on violence will have the opportunity to do it to you unless they drastically screw up. This is why even police officers and soldiers who are presently in a situation involving violence with their guns drawn in a prepared state can still get shot before they know it. There are things like ambush, deception, and surprise which all work to the opponents advantage.
Sigh. That is pathetic man.

So what you are saying is you are just going to roll over and die. Just willingly accept your fate if you are attacked. You have no concept of self defense. Pathetic. I hope nobody ever takes your advice on self defense. You are also clearly misinformed on the statistics on armed vs unarmed survival of violent incidents. You sound like a vogon after all your liberal brainwashing:

No, but you clearly wish to argue with yourself. I say there are better and more effective ways to deal with potential situations, and that living for the rare occasion of fatal violence is simply living in constant fear and i do not chose to waste my life living that way. I have not died yet, and I have been in violent situations with guns drawn on me. So I guess your claims that i have just laid down and died are simply not true unless you think this is a ghost typing at you.

oh noes, a internet video. I can see i am defeated because certainly it must be true if someone on the internet made a video about it. Now if you do not mind i am going to go out and find some pastel ponies IRL because certainly they must exist because there are tons of internet videos about them.
I am never going to be a willing victim. If I have to stab someone with a pen to get away I will do it. I will keep my gun and take my chances if someone attacks me. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

better to live life and not run around constantly in fear. I guess it is a fundamental difference between you and me. You worry about some person committing violence against you and work yourself up into a fearful state over it, and i prefer to think of winning the lottery because it is a lot more fun. that is a whole lot of unpleasantness for a violent act that may happen but most probably will not. You asked what i do about those situations, well i enjoy life and do not work myself up over unlikely stuff. I do not go out and delude myself into thinking a gun is the only way I can survive in a fairly safe world. Enjoy your time.

Actually, I was home so I guess that makes it relevant. My husband and I were both still in bed, sound asleep and didn't hear or see a thing until we woke up and I couldn't find my purse, the stereo, or the TV. So if we had a gun he probably would have stole that too and I hate to think what he might have done with it.

You never know how you're going to react until it happens to you.

After we were robbed we put bars on all the windows and doors and that alone has proven to be the best deterrent of all, imo. I never had to worry about leaving a window open in summer ...or worry when we went out of town. It was great. But that was LA and everybody had bars on their windows and doors....probably because after all is said and done it is the best deterrent to home invasions.

Actually, I was home so I guess that makes it relevant. My husband and I were both still in bed, sound asleep and didn't hear or see a thing until we woke up and I couldn't find my purse, the stereo, or the TV. So if we had a gun he probably would have stole that too and I hate to think what he might have done with it.

You never know how you're going to react until it happens to you.

After we were robbed we put bars on all the windows and doors and that alone has proven to be the best deterrent of all, imo. I never had to worry about leaving a window open in summer ...or worry when we went out of town. It was great. But that was LA and everybody had bars on their windows and doors....probably because after all is said and done it is the best deterrent to home invasions.

Fire safety hazard.

You now endanger the lives of anyone who stays in your house, and you say that folks who carry guns are dangerous?

Fire safety hazard.

You now endanger the lives of anyone who stays in your house, and you say that folks who carry guns are dangerous?

Really? That is your excuse? As for the original question bars are a much better solution as they are an active way to prevent entry even when you and your gun are not around. Certainly they are much better than a gun for preventing entry as your gun will only be able to effectively prevent entry at one window if you know it is happening. Basically the laws of physics prevent you from aiming at multiple windows at once. Plus bars are a better deterrent than guns since they are easily visible causing potential thieves to try for the house that has no bars. Your gun is not visible from the street. Even a CC is not much of a deterrent as no one actually should know you have it if you are concealing it. If you want your gun to cause criminals to look for an easier target you should probably carry it out in the open, though that would allow criminals to chose a more deadly route if they chose to attack you.

As for the fire thing, on a single story house you can easily escape through a door unless your home is a sprawling mansion. Multiple story houses could leave escape routes on upper floors while still maintaining the security of bars. That is a pretty feeble rebuttal.

Back
Top Bottom