• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd[W:71]

Re: For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd

What does his "need to prepare" have to do with whether or not he should be allowed to?
I don't know, why don't you ask him?

I didn't make up the term "prepper". So if you have a problem with the term then I suggest you take it up the preppers.

Strange response, I'm well aware of the term as I am one. Also, you didn't answer my question at all with this bizarre post of yours.

Now if you don't mind, the question was for Stonewall to answer, not you.

How childish, this is a debate forum and I can ask you about your baseless non-sequiturs all I want. :roll:

For The "Pro Gun Control" crowd

Are you a prepper?

You want to stick to the issue? What are you going to do in the event that someone breaks into your home?

I have had to deal with criminals to buy drugs, and yet never needed a gun.......

I think the fact that you deal with criminals to buy drugs speaks for itself..... And cry me a river 50 cent......just because you saw a gun being pulled in high school doesn't make you a "gangsta"

really, you protect yourself from what?

What am I? A psychic? The best answer I can give you is violence against myself or my family. That could be from a fellow human, or an animal.

I guess i do not walk around in fear of such things. It is pretty amazing since i live as part of one of the groups that has the most violence committed against them in the US. I have been in the worst areas of every major city on the east coast of the US, and never needed a gun. I have had to deal with criminals to buy drugs, and yet never needed a gun. perhaps it is me, I grew up in NY and maybe we are tougher than the rest. Do you often get attacked and need to live in fear? How many times a year have you been attacked and needed your gun? how many times have you had to protect your family from an armed intruder intent on doing them harm? Sounds like you live a pretty scary life.

Lol! CLASSIC dodge! Past events cannot dictate future outcomes. I didnt ask you what you DID do. I asked you what you WOULD do. It sounds to me like you would get a handy ass kicking or killed. I hope for your sake you don't get victimized, but I won't shed a tear if you are.

As a side note. Do you base all of your life choices on what HAS happened to you and not possible consequences for lack of preparedness? Your willful admittance to drug usage suggest to me that you aren't really the long term planning type lol. You got insurance? Fire extinguishers? Do you know the number to 911?

Ps:

New Yorkers being tough. Lol! That is hilarious. Let me know when you can take a 9mm and be ok though.

Do you walk around with your gun out ready to shoot that person who comes up to you ready to do you in? If not you are not prepared to stop them. Look at Zimmerman. he came into a hostile situation with his gun loaded and ready top shoot. It would seem that despite that he ended up below treyvon with his head being pounded into the pavement. His head was hammered into the pavement at least 6 times, he was knocked to the ground where treyvon got on top of him, he was punched in the head repeatedly, and he came into the situation loaded and ready as you would ever be unless you have your gun out and aimed all the time. What good does your preparation do you in the case of someone determined to get you when you will be delayed enough for them to get the upper hand by having to decide to pull your gun and then having to actually go through the time to do so?

So you admit you are misinformed on the Zimmerman issue? His gun wasn't at the ready. It was in a holster on his person. I have a concealed weapons license and I carry 95% of the time I walk out the door. But I wouldn't have been in Zimmerman's situation. I would never have gotten out of the truck. All the preparation in the world won't help you if you ignore principle self defense rules. I'm not saying Z wanted to be in that situation, but it was his own actions that put him at risk. On top of that I have trained martial arts for years. A kid Ts size would be at an extreme disadvantage with me...I'm 6'1 260 with grappling knowledge.

Oh and situational awareness is something I do not lack. You are essentially telling me that I will be a victim regardless of what I do to defend myself. You should teach rape defense courses. "Just accept your fate."

Sigh. That is pathetic man.

If you are not constantly prepared for conflict you will be caught flat footed because surprise is a great advantage. Most criminals do not walk up to you and declare their intentions and give you an honorable shot. They pretty much look for you to be at your weakest and try to get the upper hand before you can respond, or they look to do things when you are not around. This means your gun is really pretty ineffective as protection, and it is really there to calm your fears and give you the illusion of security. Now if you want to lie to yourself and say you are secure because you have a gun then that is your business, but please do not expect me to conform to your delusion and play pretend with you. I know full well if i had malicious intent towards someone who was armed that their gun would never make a difference in the situation. If i am going that far they have no chance because i won't give it to them. Your gun only gives you a chance with people who are not dedicated to physically harming you in the first place. You might get lucky and my first few hits do not incapacitate you, but you will take the hits before you can draw. Not much security in that if you ask me

So what you are saying is you are just going to roll over and die. Just willingly accept your fate if you are attacked. You have no concept of self defense. Pathetic. I hope nobody ever takes your advice on self defense. You are also clearly misinformed on the statistics on armed vs unarmed survival of violent incidents. You sound like a vogon after all your liberal brainwashing:

http://youtu.be/CuSDiQhZFgM

I am never going to be a willing victim. If I have to stab someone with a pen to get away I will do it. I will keep my gun and take my chances if someone attacks me. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

I am trying to wrap my head around something. I guess it will never work for me because I protect myself.

What will you do in the event of a threat of violence/imminent danger against you or your family? I mean someone actively breaking in/threatening you in public (menacing)/and so on?

I don't understand. Why would you seek for me to be less prepared? I have my answer. Why does that answer need to conform to yours? Why seek to limit me? I don't want to put a gun in your hand. I only wish for you to have the option.

Most people that want background checks and some restrictions don't want to ban all guns.

Since I answered your question...has any of that every happened to you? I can understand the survivor of being in a situation like that constantly living in fear and feeling the need to protect themselves but how ever long you've lived...how often have you needed to have a gun to protect yourself? I'm not saying it's not valid concern I'm just asking. It seems like a lot of the "pro-gun" folks on this site describe some world were people are constantly besieged.

Most people that want background checks and some restrictions don't want to ban all guns.

Since I answered your question...has any of that every happened to you? I can understand the survivor of being in a situation like that constantly living in fear and feeling the need to protect themselves but how ever long you've lived...how often have you needed to have a gun to protect yourself? I'm not saying it's not valid concern I'm just asking. It seems like a lot of the "pro-gun" folks on this site describe some world were people are constantly besieged.

Finally a reasonable discussion! Lol.

I understand that. I get the logic behind their argument. I disagree based on the principle that there is no such thing as "common sense" legislation. There will always be "just a few more" laws that we need to protect ourselves. I've never heard a politician give a concrete answer on what is enough. So I can't agree with the logic.

But for your second part. Need is not stipulated in the constitution. I personally have never lived in an area where I could rely on anyone but myself/family in the even of an emergency. It took EMS 30 minutes to get to my Mother when a mirror sliced her leg open. LEOs take a little less time: 15 minutes...when we reported that someone was trying to break into a truck at our house.

So my short version reply is that while I have never "needed" a gun...if anything turns south at my place of residence I will be on my own.

My county is crime ridden too. Drugs and break ins are common. A kid was run off the road and murdered about 2 country miles (as in open road no people) from my house. Same when I lived in college. Crisply response times and the cops I trained martial arts with informed me that my door needed to stay locked at the apartment I lived at.

So basically my "need" of a firearm wast based on the "odds" of using it. Just the realistic view that I probably will have only myself for reliance.

I am trying to wrap my head around something. I guess it will never work for me because I protect myself.

What will you do in the event of a threat of violence/imminent danger against you or your family? I mean someone actively breaking in/threatening you in public (menacing)/and so on?

I don't understand. Why would you seek for me to be less prepared? I have my answer. Why does that answer need to conform to yours? Why seek to limit me? I don't want to put a gun in your hand. I only wish for you to have the option.

We do not live in the "Old West" and have no desire to. If you want your life to depend on how quick you can "draw" move to Africa or the middle east.

The stat is that 500,000 home invasions and 1,000,000 felonies are prevented each year by a firearm. However, since then no one hurt anti-gun people don't count those.

Then, disregarding all that, they claim that people are not individuals but only statistics - and will claim a person is more likely wrongly harmed by a gun in a home or in public.

We do not live in the "Old West" and have no desire to. If you want your life to depend on how quick you can "draw" move to Africa or the middle east.

You watch a lot of movies, don't you? Think they are real too?

Most people that want background checks

We already have background checks :roll:

and some restrictions

Like what, gun licensing and registration which do nothing to stop crime or solve cases?

10 round magazine limits? The simplistic logic of "they used high-capacity mags, therefore if we ban them, itl stop them" is absurd.

Is 3, 10 round mags any less deadly than a 30 round mag? Takes a couple seconds to reload.

don't want to ban all guns.

Im assuming you mean ban assault rifles. The fact that a non-assault rifle is just as deadly. The main differences are cosmetic.

Assuming that such a ban did keep them out of the hand of criminals, which is doubtful..

What happens when the next mass shooting is done with a handgun? Anti-gun advocates will be calling for a handgun ban next.

Laws don't affect criminals -- gun-control advocates don't seem to comprehend this simple reality.

The only way to keep guns out of the hands of criminals is to shut down gun production worldwide (good luck stopping underground production), and seize all guns -- good luck getting tracking down all illegal weapons.

Do you realize that "quick draw" shoot outs were not common in the west? Take a history class man. And if you want to limit people's freedom why don't you join up with some African dictators? I hear North Korea is real big on limiting people's rights.

I'm not the one pretending to be Wyatt Earp....

How in the hell am I pretending to be be Wyatt Earp? He was a dirty lawman most likely too. I am a law abiding citizen only concerned with self defense. You are the one concerned with making my innocent carry illegal despite the fact that I have never endangered anyone.

Many gun control advocates seriously believe the police can protect you.

The average police response time is like what, 5 minutes? Good luck till then... (no, don't try to kill me till the police get here... nooooooo)

Not only that, but courts have ruled that the police don't have an obligation to respond to 911 calls.
Actually most gun control freaks thing it "will never happen to them".
The ones that shuffle along in total oblivion to the world around them thinking its all rainbows and puppy dogs.
But when it does happen to them, they are usually the ones screaming the loudest about doing "something".

I'm not the one pretending to be Wyatt Earp....

No, you're pretending to be one of the frightened townsmen saying "just give them anything and any woman they want so then maybe they'll go away and not hurt me."

And in those movies, and in reality, it is men exactly opposite that protect you, your wife and your children anyway.

The brave protect the cowards and the apathetic. That's also how it works. I truly don't understand how people can dedicate their life to living in fear - and then brag about it.

Last edited:

No, you're pretending to be one of the frightened townsmen saying "just give them anything and any woman they want so then maybe they'll go away and not hurt me."

And in those movies, and in reality, it is men exactly opposite that protect you, your wife and your children anyway.

The brave protect the cowards and the apathetic. That's also how it works. I truly don't understand how people can dedicate their life to living in fear - and then brag about it.

I own plenty of guns, have training, worked in private and public sector wearing a gun.
I care about my neighborhood, nieghbors, state, country.
Yet I still think what your hero Zimmerman did was stupid, ill advised, playing out a fantasy, and the only way out was to shoot when things went south.
Even his "MMA" coach said he was fat, out of shape, soft and weak.
But he had a gun, so I guess that made him 6 feet tall and bullet proof. He was and is a sissy. He story barely holds any water.
None of that mean he should go to jail, but should serve as a lifes lesson to all that carry. On duty or not.
Ask Zimmerman if you get a chance. Was it worth it?
Oh, and sack your bravery. I can and will protect me and mine way longer before I ever need a local yokel.

Strange response, I'm well aware of the term as I am one. Also, you didn't answer my question at all with this bizarre post of yours.

How childish, this is a debate forum and I can ask you about your baseless non-sequiturs all I want. :roll:

Speaking of childish baseless non sequitars, what does your question about fire extinquishers have to do with my question to Stonewall?

Speaking of childish baseless non sequitars, what does your question about fire extinquishers have to do with my question to Stonewall?

Having a firearm at home in the event of a home invasion is no different than having a fire extinguisher in the case of a fire. Not all gun owners are preppers, how that obvious point evaded you is beyond me.

Also, its spelt Sequitur.

You want to stick to the issue? What are you going to do in the event that someone breaks into your home?

I usually just call the police and file a police report.

So, has anyone ever prevented you from being a prepper, Stonewall?

Why haven't you answered my response to you?

Ps

The extinguisher is a relevant question because it is something you would use in an emergency situation. And it is also something you are unlikely to use as well. I've never used a fire extinguisher except in a science lab as part of a demonstration.

What if you are home. And taking your DVD player is not enough for them.

So. If someone breaks into your home...how long do you think it is going to take for police to arrive? What are you doing till the police get there

And calling me a prepper is childish. You are trying to insult me. Sad.

So. If someone breaks into your home...how long do you think it is going to take for police to arrive? What are you doing till the police get there?

Something between watching her stuff get hauled off or ........well that New Jersey vid kinda cover it.

I own plenty of guns, have training, worked in private and public sector wearing a gun.
I care about my neighborhood, nieghbors, state, country.
Yet I still think what your hero Zimmerman did was stupid, ill advised, playing out a fantasy, and the only way out was to shoot when things went south.
Even his "MMA" coach said he was fat, out of shape, soft and weak.
But he had a gun, so I guess that made him 6 feet tall and bullet proof. He was and is a sissy. He story barely holds any water.
None of that mean he should go to jail, but should serve as a lifes lesson to all that carry. On duty or not.
Ask Zimmerman if you get a chance. Was it worth it?
Oh, and sack your bravery. I can and will protect me and mine way longer before I ever need a local yokel.

I was responding to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom