• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For the love of god, talk to your kids about drugs....

My parents never talked to me about drugs - they led by example by how they lived their lives. I never did drugs, when a lot of my peers did.... Just saying.

My parents never talked to me about drugs - they led by example by how they lived their lives. I never did drugs, when a lot of my peers did.... Just saying.

That doesn't always matter. I've seen a lot of kids turn to drugs whose parents never touched them.

That doesn't always matter. I've seen a lot of kids turn to drugs whose parents never touched them.

Absolutely - but here's what I'm saying and I realize this is controversial: The problem is not drugs, but the dumbing down of America. Personally, I believe that once the dumbing down problem is addressed, the drug problem will take care of itself. I was brought up to believe that people whom use drugs are stupid - I still believe that and alas, I've never touched drugs....

I was just never dumb enough to touch the stuff - I could always find other interests or "hobbies" to occupy myself... Immerse myself in positive activities, if you will.... My parents' strategy worked, since I ultimately graduated first in my class in college, for example....

I'm with Nightrider on this one. If parents raise children right, the discussion about drugs (and almost anything else) is incredibly abrupt.

I was raised (mostly by myself) to make logical decisions. Smoking, getting drunk daily/weekly, and illicit drugs were all illogical. After anything I thought about doing, I would ask myself if there was any purpose in doing this. With drugs, the answer is always "no".

When you raise a child to just make adult, logical, sensible choices and decisions as a whole, you don't have to slow down for every speed bump in the troubled roads of youth.

I'm with Nightrider on this one. If parents raise children right, the discussion about drugs (and almost anything else) is incredibly abrupt.

I was raised (mostly by myself) to make logical decisions. Smoking, getting drunk daily/weekly, and illicit drugs were all illogical. After anything I thought about doing, I would ask myself if there was any purpose in doing this. With drugs, the answer is always "no".

When you raise a child to just make adult, logical, sensible choices and decisions as a whole, you don't have to slow down for every speed bump in the troubled roads of youth.

Most kids do drugs out of wanting to fit in and for thrills, while adults usually do them because of an inability to cope with stress. I'd say many of these people logically know better but have a strong compulsion to do them anyway based on an imbalance in emotional reasoning.

Most kids do drugs out of wanting to fit in and for thrills, while adults usually do them because of an inability to cope with stress. I'd say many of these people logically know better but have a strong compulsion to do them anyway based on an imbalance in emotional reasoning.

Emotion is the enemy of logic. You can't be "highly" both.

Emotion is the enemy of logic. You can't be "highly" both.

No, I disagree because emotions are an important part of the brain and thought process. You need a balance between the two that comes from wisdom, common sense and experience. Logic without a certain foundation for compassion and empathy is basically a sociopath.

I think some of the problem is plain and simple ignorance. both of these kids ODed on perscription pain killers. the thought process for many of these kids is "well, it was prescribed by a doctor so it must be safe to take".

I will say this: I think we as a society need to put our heads together and address this problem.... Personally, I believe this is the #1 problem in America right now and it involves our children. There are people whom believe (like me) that drug addiction is based on stupidity and then there are people whom believe it is a disease. I don't really understand the latter point of view, but this is not about us anymore - this is about our kids. My original comment in this thread involved taking positive action as a parent (and living by example) - not just paying lip service. I guess that's the only point I was trying to make....

Personally, I am mentoring a young child right now. I'm taking steps towards mentoring more..... I want to make it my life's profession - just to do my part.

We all do stupid things - personally, I believe it's human nature. It's the people whom learn from those mistakes that emerge worlds ahead of their peers....

I think some of the problem is plain and simple ignorance. both of these kids ODed on perscription pain killers. the thought process for many of these kids is "well, it was prescribed by a doctor so it must be safe to take".
This is somewhat of a guess on my part, but I'm not so sure they equate that relative safety is in their minds. Or, if it is, it's not the whole thing. I believe a great deal of it is simply accessibility and less chance of being caught trying to obtain it.

I will say this: I think we as a society need to put our heads together and address this problem.... Personally, I believe this is the #1 problem in America right now and it involves our children. There are people whom believe (like me) that drug addiction is based on stupidity and then there are people whom believe it is a disease. I don't really understand the latter point of view, but this is not about us anymore - this is about our kids. My original comment in this thread involved taking positive action as a parent (and living by example) - not just paying lip service. I guess that's the only point I was trying to make....

Personally, I am mentoring a young child right now. I'm taking steps towards mentoring more..... I want to make it my life's profession - just to do my part.

We all do stupid things - personally, I believe it's human nature. It's the people whom learn from those mistakes that emerge worlds ahead of their peers....
May I make a suggestion? And I mean this with good intent.

If you are going to effectively mentor kids then you NEED to understand that not everybody is like you, and that some people are indeed more addictive personalities... for whatever reason... than you are. Not just understand and accept that they are, but WHY they are.

May I make a suggestion? And I mean this with good intent.

If you are going to effectively mentor kids then you NEED to understand that not everybody is like you, and that some people are indeed more addictive personalities... for whatever reason... than you are. Not just understand and accept that they are, but WHY they are.

Thanks for your comments - understanding the kids I mentor IS perhaps more important than my own attitudes/opinions.

Guess I need to think on this one awhile, before (if at all) I reply more, for you have me there.

I appreciate all you've said.

Meh. My parents never did drugs, but when I was a kid, I was going for some kind of record for the most pot smoked. :shrug:

never saw my parents drink or take any kind of drug. but I was a borderline alcoholic. never much got into pot. for some reason I never got much out of it. my metabolism is too fast for it. couldn't smoke enough fast enough to get a good buzz going ;)

never saw my parents drink or take any kind of drug. but I was a borderline alcoholic. never much got into pot. for some reason I never got much out of it. my metabolism is too fast for it. couldn't smoke enough fast enough to get a good buzz going ;)

Well, darlin', I smoked enough for the both of us.

My understanding is that prescription drugs (and especially opiate analogues) have displaced things like alcohol, ecstacy, heroin and cocaine as the leading causes of drug overdose amongst young people. I suspect your reasoning is exactly right. The other problem is probably that kids have a poor understanding of how such things interact with other drugs (especially alcohol). Even a completely legit dose of (say) vicodin can become deadly if you drink four shots of vodka first.

Well, darlin', I smoked enough for the both of us.

I smoked my fair share. enough to know it just didn't do much for me. that always pissed me off. all my buddies would be high as a ****ing kite and I'd still be stone cold sober. bummer.

By all means do talk to your kids about drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and everything else - but be honest! Age and individual child appropriate of course. The absolute worst is what schools do in my experience. They try to sell a load of crap to kids who are themselves users or at least someone they know and care about. "Health" classes were the worst in my day and not much better during my tenure as a teacher.

I smoked my fair share. enough to know it just didn't do much for me. that always pissed me off. all my buddies would be high as a ****ing kite and I'd still be stone cold sober. bummer.

Maybe you just didn't smoke the right stuff. :lol: Or maybe your chemistry was not conducive to a good buzz.

By all means do talk to your kids about drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and everything else - but be honest! Age and individual child appropriate of course. The absolute worst is what schools do in my experience. They try to sell a load of crap to kids who are themselves users or at least someone they know and care about. "Health" classes were the worst in my day and not much better during my tenure as a teacher.
Totally agree with this. Be honest. Once they find out you're lying, they won't believe you even in the truthful parts.

This is why I think telling kids that marijuana is just as bad as heroin is the most boneheaded thing they can you.

Totally agree with this. Be honest. Once they find out you're lying, they won't believe you even in the truthful parts. This is why I think telling kids that marijuana is just as bad as heroin is the most boneheaded thing they can you.

As I stated in my original post, this is really the foundation of all problems related to drug abuse. At every level of our society we either misinform or outright lie to our youth about the relative merits of drug use.

Everyone remember the "This is your brain on drugs" commercials, or the "Just say no!" advertising program? Then there is the "gateway drug" ideology that so many people still adhere to. And of course we have the founding model of dis-information formats in "Reefer Madness."

The simple fact is we LIE to our kids. In a misguided attempt to try to keep them absolutely safe we tell them things that empirical evidence clearly refutes.

The truth is that some illegal drugs are actually safer to use than either alcohol or cigarettes. They are even safer than using most prescription drugs and even some over-the-counter drugs. Others are have side effects equivalent to usage of alcohol, or as addictive as cigarettes. The remainder are highly addictive and seriously harmful physically.

But we don't differentiate when we talk about these things with our youth; instead, like sex, we simply try to scare the hell out of them. Then they go try them and (at least initially for even the most harmful) don't seem to experience any of the horrible effects society keeps telling them about. After that they just stop listening and by the time they discover what is true and what is false it is too late to correct the problem.

We need to face reality. Kids are SMART, just inexperienced. Have honest dialogues, discuss the merits both GOOD and bad of drugs, without over-emphasizing either. Enable your kids to think they can come to you and discuss options or seek help without unreasonable repercussions. That might make all the difference between their choosing abstinence, becoming a recreational user, or a falling into full-blown addiction.

Last edited:
People are trying to ease the pain that they feel inside- not in their bodies, but in their minds. It's not uncommon, especially when you're a confused kid. It's a sad world that we are living in, and just saying no is only part of the solution. This is why I hate to see religion (and the religious) constantly being hammered by society at large these days. Religion, or some type of philosophy, contributes to helping people deal with some of the crap that being human brings with it.

Sometimes it can make things worse though.

Most kids aren't into cigarettes. There isn't a lack of pot anywhere, its just hard to get pot because they don't have money... what they do have are parents who will pay for adderal/pain killer prescriptions. In some states, like Florida, there is no limit to the pain killers they can buy.

This, I could get pot with one text, but it would cost me around 60 bucks for a decent amount of decent stuff. Too expensive, but in my house alone, if I wanted too(and I don't, not even remotely) I could get ativan, lortab, hydrocodone, and probably several more that I'm forgetting. Availability is much easier.

Got some more details on the kid who died this weekend. He was driving and had drugs in the car. Cops pulled him over for speeding and he swallowed them to avoid getting caught. For some reason (seems a bit sketchy here since 5-O doesn't usually take you in for speeding) they took him down to the precinct. By the time he felt bad enough to tell anyone it was too late. cops called for an ambulance and he crashed 3 times on the way to the hospital and they could not revive him.

sad and stupid

Well **** me that's awful. The trouble he would have got in for those drugs is so minor, and that's eve if they noticed them. To do that is just awful.

Meh. My parents never did drugs, but when I was a kid, I was going for some kind of record for the most pot smoked. :shrug:

Well if someone is doing pot that is one thing, if they are doing opioids, or something similar that is another.

I think a big problem is we lump in all the stuff we don't want kids to take into the evil bad thing that is "drugs". And that is really harmful IMO, especially since advil is a drug, but no one will say that advil is a "drug".

We need to be honest about the effects of drugs, and show kids what they actually do. Pot isn't going to kill you, as long as it's not laced with anything. If you get really into it you might become really lazy, and not do much with your life, or it might not effect you in that way, and you can use it all the time and be fine.

But things like meth, heroin, painkillers, even alcohol to a certain extent need to presented to kids in a way that shows the real dangers of these things. Educate them about what they do to you, and how they harm you.

Also mental health needs to improve in this country, there should be certified counselors at every school, and real counselors, not just glorified office assistants. That can be there for the students to talk about issues they may be having.

Back
Top Bottom