• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For the first time, a man has been sentenced for sexual slavery by the International Criminal Court.

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
He was once known as the “Terminator.” Now he’s the first man the International Criminal Court has convicted and sent to jail for the crime of sexual slavery.

For the first time, a man has been sentenced for sexual slavery by the International Criminal Court. He got 30 years.

Okay...I will be the first to admit I am a bit slow with legal stuff; however, this bit has me scratching my head:

On Thursday, Bosco Ntaganda, 46, sat stoically in a suit and tie as a court in The Hague laid out his conviction of 18 counts, including murder, rape, sexual slavery and using child soldiers, and sentenced him to 30 years in prison

this....

the brutal rape of a 13-year-old girl and the murder by the rebel leader himself of a Catholic priest.
“Men, women and children and babies were found in the field,” said Fremr, according to the BBC. “Some bodies were found naked, some had hands tied up, some had their heads crushed. Several bodies were disembowelled or otherwise mutilated

And, finally, this statement by the presiding Judge:

“despite their gravity and his degree of culpability,” Ntaganda’s crimes did not meet the standard for a life sentence.

What. The. F@ck.

What does one have to do to warrant a life sentence in the eyes of the ICC??

He was once known as the “Terminator.” Now he’s the first man the International Criminal Court has convicted and sent to jail for the crime of sexual slavery.

For the first time, a man has been sentenced for sexual slavery by the International Criminal Court. He got 30 years.

Okay...I will be the first to admit I am a bit slow with legal stuff; however, this bit has me scratching my head:

On Thursday, Bosco Ntaganda, 46, sat stoically in a suit and tie as a court in The Hague laid out his conviction of 18 counts, including murder, rape, sexual slavery and using child soldiers, and sentenced him to 30 years in prison

this....

the brutal rape of a 13-year-old girl and the murder by the rebel leader himself of a Catholic priest.
“Men, women and children and babies were found in the field,” said Fremr, according to the BBC. “Some bodies were found naked, some had hands tied up, some had their heads crushed. Several bodies were disembowelled or otherwise mutilated

“despite their gravity and his degree of culpability,” Ntaganda’s crimes did not meet the standard for a life sentence.

What. The. F@ck.

Actual genocide, I think. Otherwise the maximum penalty the court may impose is 30 years.

Which is why I miss the death penalty.

this....

What. The. F@ck.

I am not sure about the legal stuff either. Why was the jurisdiction not the Congo, where the crimes were committed? They certainly have the death penalty.

I am not sure about the legal stuff either. Why was the jurisdiction not the Congo, where the crimes were committed? They certainly have the death penalty.

I am not sure how the jurisdiction of the ICC operates.

How weird is it that we always look at modern day slave owners/traders/etc like dogs that should rot with maggots in the gutter yet look at our past with pride.

How weird is it that we always look at modern day slave owners/traders/etc like dogs that should rot with maggots in the gutter yet look at our past with pride.

We can't judge those in history using modern barometers of morality. In biblical times, slavery was common and accepted. The New Testament of the Bible itself condones slavery, (Ephesians 6:5 ) "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear and sincerity of heart, just as you would show to Christ."

We can't judge those in history using modern barometers of morality. In biblical times, slavery was common and accepted. The New Testament of the Bible itself condones slavery, (Ephesians 6:5 ) "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear and sincerity of heart, just as you would show to Christ."

The perfect example of my point. Using religious texts to justify past slavery when we want those people to get the death penalty now.

It's like the religious texts don't even exist in 2019.

The perfect example of my point. Using religious texts to justify past slavery when we want those people to get the death penalty now.

It's like the religious texts don't even exist in 2019.

You can't judge history with modern morality and ethics.

Its like saying all sumerians were evil, because they didn't go to communion.

You can't judge history with modern morality and ethics.

Its like saying all sumerians were evil, because they didn't go to communion.

I can judge people who held others in bondage any time I want.

It's almost like you don't know what Jesus Christ stood for.

I can judge people who held others in bondage any time I want.

It's almost like you don't know what Jesus Christ stood for.

Jesus was born 2000 years ago.

Civilization existed 10,000 years ago. Was everyone prior to Jesus evil?

Actually, a lot slavery in the Bible was a life choice. It was either get someone to take you on as their slave or beg and starve in the street. Not a lot of trade schools back in those days. People who abused their slaves (lifetime servants) were frowned upon.

Slaves in the time of Christ were a social class (albeit a very low one), not necessarily imprisoned against their will.

Jesus was born 2000 years ago.

Civilization existed 10,000 years ago. Was everyone prior to Jesus evil?

Using your logic an Islamic slave trader of today can be forgiven/ not judged in a couple hundred years or a couple thousand years because that's just the way it was back then. Are you a Muslim?

Using your logic an Islamic slave trader of today can be forgiven/ not judged in a couple hundred years or a couple thousand years because that's just the way it was back then. Are you a Muslim?

That's not my logic. Using my logic, a slave trader today would absolutely be judged in 1,000 years, because said slave trader today is going against current accepted ethical and moral codes.

The word CONTEXT applies, when viewing historical figures, events, and people.

That's not my logic. Using my logic, a slave trader today would absolutely be judged in 1,000 years, because said slave trader today is going against current accepted ethical and moral codes.

The word CONTEXT applies, when viewing historical figures, events, and people.

There are definitely areas of the world where slave trading is still accepted. Even down to communities.

So what you're saying is they get a pass in a 1000 years because that slavery was accepted in those places in 2019.

Are you religious at all?

There are definitely areas of the world where slave trading is still accepted. Even down to communities.

So what you're saying is they get a pass in a 1000 years because that slavery was accepted in those places in 2019.

Are you religious at all?

Slavery isn't accepted anywhere...there are simply areas of the world where currently nothing, or very little, can be done to stop it.

Ever hear the phrase, when in Rome, do as Romans do?

I'm not religious, but since we are having a discussion about logic, religion has no place.

Actually, a lot slavery in the Bible was a life choice. It was either get someone to take you on as their slave or beg and starve in the street. Not a lot of trade schools back in those days. People who abused their slaves (lifetime servants) were frowned upon.

Slaves in the time of Christ were a social class (albeit a very low one), not necessarily imprisoned against their will.
True.

Slavery isn't accepted anywhere...there are simply areas of the world where currently nothing, or very little, can be done to stop it.

Ever hear the phrase, when in Rome, do as Romans do?

I'm not religious, but since we are having a discussion about logic, religion has no place.

oh. logic.

when is slavery accepted or okay?

this....

What. The. F@ck.

Eat them?

this....

What. The. F@ck.

Your avatar is perfect for your OP. :lamo

"Work for me as a slave or die" is not a free choice whether the coercion is from direct murder or indirect starvation. To say slaves chose to be slaves is crap.

Cultural advancement had finally advanced enough by then that it was largely viewed as being immoral.

And yet half of our country fought a war to keep it.

Back
Top Bottom