• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For the Democratic thinking Russian

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Critics of the Kremlin are leaving Russia, as well. They oppose President Vladimir Putin's war of aggression and are suffering the consequences of a clampdown on freedom of expression. Berlin has become a gathering point for Russians who oppose the invasion of Ukraine.

The quote that I will like to dedicate to these democratic thinkers from Russia is:

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.“
- Marcus Aurelius.

Early in the war, I saw something on Twitter that really disgusted me. A restaurant in Portugal put up a sign "We don't serve you if you are Russian".

These Russians that are fleeing will never be able to return home, their family will suffer consequences, and might lose their jobs (the family members that stay behind).

In some cases, if they are considered a threat to national security they get poisoned as many cases have shown before -> by the criminal FSB.

Just something I try to remember before I start generalizing.

Last edited:
I'd bet the restaurant would serve them if they explained they're against the war.

I'd bet the restaurant would serve them if they explained they're against the war.
So you want to live in a society where you have to explain to an eating establishment why you have the right to eat? What kind of statement is that Craig?

Do you know how extremism gets born sometimes? because of stuff like this.

Let me tell you a quick story that you reminded me of years ago:

When I was still working from the office, I was taking the public transit daily, one time this big Trinidad and Tobago guy (he had a mini-flag on his lunch box) sat down across from me. You could tell he was exhausted, a construction worker.

1 couple walks in, they were Eastern Europeans doesn't matter what country, they did not see him initially and the girl sat down beside him and the man beside me, me being white. After giving each other a few looks, in front of the Trinidadi guy they switch seats and smiled at each other then they stood up and left after he started making some faces. Was one of the most disgusting scenes I have witnessed in taking public transit.

Do you know what I was thinking? If I was the black Trinidadi construction worker tired after working hard all day, I would probably start telling myself that everything the far left told me is right. That we indeed live in a racist society and all white people think like that. His anger then will be reflected on other people that have nothing to do with it and the cycle of the division gets passed over and over again in my opinion.

The same applies here, you are going to deny someone's right to eat based on them being Russian? In my opinion, we are not living up to our western principles and are setting the ground for people to run to their tribalism.

Last edited:
So you want to live in a society where you have to explain to an eating establishment why you have the right to eat? What kind of statement is that Craig?

One which gives a crap about the mass murder of unjustified war - unlike yours which says it's fine.

The same applies here, you are going to deny someone's right to eat based on them being Russian? In my opinion, we are not living up to our western principles and are setting the ground for people to run to their tribalism.

Opposing the mass murder of unjustified war is not 'tribalism'. Reasonable people understand the opposition to it, even some excesses which we haven't established here. It's your story about 'the far left' you imagine that shows who has a problem with triablism.

1. One which gives a crap about the mass murder of unjustified war - unlike yours which says it's fine.

2.Opposing the mass murder of unjustified war is not 'tribalism'. Reasonable people understand the opposition to it, even some excesses which we haven't established here. It's your story about 'the far left' you imagine that shows who has a problem with triablism.
1. Making stuff up again. I do too, my approach is different, economic sanctions, weapons support, refugee support, and training at the border by US forces for the Ukrainians which is happening in Poland. Furthermore, I support both any free Ukrainian and Russian person that wants to live free in the west. Your approach is probably direct confrontation, which won't cause mass murder ?!? nuclear war? humanitarian crisis? how about the economic disaster in Europe? Something does not make sense here. My estimation is that you are thinking short-term.

2. Nothing to do with the point of the OP, deflecting. The main point of the OP is that in our quest to fight injustice -> not to become ourselves unjust.

I think you should consider becoming a centrist, it is more exciting here, you get to criticize everyone and not hold your nose in the name of idealism while trying to spin it around. :ROFLMAO:

Until we argue again Craig! Always a pleasure!

Last edited:
1. Making stuff up again. I do too

If you mean you make stuff up, ya, that's just you.

, my approach is different, economic sanctions, weapons support, refugee support, and training at the border by US forces for the Ukrainians which is happening in Poland. Furthermore, I support both any free Ukrainian and Russian person that wants to live free in the west. Your approach is probably direct confrontation, which won't cause mass murder ?!? nuclear war?

The topic was a restaurant saying they don't serve Russians, not NATO military confrontation and nuclear war.

If you mean you make stuff up, ya, that's just you.

The topic was a restaurant saying they don't serve Russians, not NATO military confrontation and nuclear war.
1. Don't manipulate, I meant I do care about the civilian's tragedy. I have a relative that works in a police force close to Isaccea town if you look it up is at the Romanian border with Ukraine:

This was the first week aside from the personal stories that I've heard directly from the person, it is a human tragedy.

but you are just trolling here so I will move on: :D:cool:

The European Union last week slammed as "politically motivated" a Russian court ruling extending Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny's imprisonment by nine more years.

Last edited:
but you are just trolling here so I will move on: :D:cool:
I don't troll; you were trolling with your false attack about 'making stuff up'.

The European Union last week slammed as "politically motivated" a Russian court ruling extending Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny's imprisonment by nine more years.

Yes; what does that have to do with a restaurant expressing their opposition to Putin's war by banning Russians?

Why was his sign in English? The war is brutal, the repression of free speech is brutal, imprisoning him is brutal, but the arrest did not look especially brutal.

Back
Top Bottom