• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For The 1st Time In My Life I Voted For A Democrat

SkyChief

USN Veteran
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Tomorrow, we have a special election for Assembly District 62.

In over 40 years of voting, I have either voted Libertarian or Republican, alas no libertarians or republicans are running for Assembly District 62. 😞

However, one democrat stands above the other contenders because he publicly stated that the shit-stain L.A. District Attorney George GascĂłn should be recalled.

So this democrat is A-OK in my book. ☺️

In past elections, if no republicans or libertarians were on the ballot I just abstained.

Reasons why people despise GascĂłn:

• He ordered prosecutors to stop seeking extra-long sentences for people accused of using a gun or being a gang member while committing a crime.
  • He banned his staff from prosecuting juveniles as adults.
  • He said he would no longer seek the death penalty, and prohibited prosecutors from seeking life sentences without the possibility of parole.
  • He said he would stop filing first-time misdemeanor charges for “quality of life” offenses “associated with poverty and mental health,” such as loitering or public intoxication.
  • He said the DA’s office would never oppose a person’s release on parole, saying the two options were support or neutrality.

Last edited:

In over 40 years of voting, I have either voted Libertarian or Republican, alas no libertarians or republicans are running for Assembly District 62. 😞

However, one democrat stands above the other contenders because he publicly stated that the shit-stain L.A. District Attorney George GascĂłn should be recalled.

In past elections, if no republicans or libertarians were on the ballot I just abstained.

• He ordered prosecutors to stop seeking extra-long sentences for people accused of using a gun or being a gang member while committing a crime.
  • He said he would no longer seek the death penalty, and prohibited prosecutors from seeking life sentences without the possibility of parole.
  • He said he would stop filing first-time misdemeanor charges for “quality of life” offenses “associated with poverty and mental health,” such as loitering or public intoxication.
  • He said the DA’s office would never oppose a person’s release on parole, saying the two options were support or neutrality.

Kinda sad that that you posts states that your vote has never evolved in all these years.

Care to name names.
I can guess who it was but...for the record....WHO?

So...from what I gather you're a supposedly libertarian-leaning sometimes Republican who has an issue with the police state being reigned in a bit? That doesn't track to me. Then again, we know that right-wing professions of how much freedom they love are mostly full of shit.

Cause apart from your first bullet point maybe, every other one of your bullet points appear to be point in Gascon's favor.

If the police hate Gascon so much that they're trying to remove him from office, that means Gascon himself is probably the rare human that is a "good cop."

So...from what I gather you're a supposedly libertarian-leaning sometimes Republican who has an issue with the police state being reigned in a bit? That doesn't track to me. Then again, we know that right-wing professions of how much freedom they love are mostly full of shit.

Cause apart from your first bullet point maybe, every other one of your bullet points appear to be point in Gascon's favor.

If the police hate Gascon so much that they're trying to remove him from office, that means Gascon himself is probably the rare human that is a "good cop."
Criminals adore GascĂłn because he tells prosecutors to be gentle with them. Not surprisingly, L.A.'s crime rate has increased significantly since he has been in charge.

Merchants and businesses pay a price to defend against against crime, so naturally they must forward that cost to their patrons. Prices in L.A. are higher than they need to be due to the unusually high crime rate.

GascĂłn is very unpopular hated by most Angelinos. There have been attempts to recall him, but these efforts were poorly organized and fizzled out. I have signed at least 3 recall petitions.

The latest recall effort might have legs though. We are optimistic.

There was a remarkably low voter turnout in this assembly seat election. Especially since voters no longer need to go to the polls to have their voices heard - - all voting is done via mail-in voting.

None of the candidates got a majority of votes, so they picked the top 2 candidates (whose difference in # of votes was <5%), and there will be a runoff election.

Sadly, my democrat didn't make the cut. 😞

There was a remarkably low voter turnout in this assembly seat election. Especially since voters no longer need to go to the polls to have their voices heard - - all voting is done via mail-in voting.

None of the candidates got a majority of votes, so they picked the top 2 candidates (whose difference in # of votes was <5%), and there will be a runoff election.

Sadly, my democrat didn't make the cut. 😞
🤣 Seeing you sad that your democrat didn't make it.

42891448.jpg

... L.A.'s crime rate has increased significantly since he has been in charge.

Hasn't Los Angeles gone through over two years of Covid-19?

Americans love their prison state. Its like a lolbertarian wanting to privatize the prison system. At that point its a joke of an ideology.

Care to name names.
I can guess who it was but...for the record....WHO?
I live in California’s 62nd Assembly District, and as stated above, no Republican was on the primary ballot — as you might expect for a district with less than 12% registered Republicans.

I would guess that Nico Ruderman, of the Venice Neighborhood Council, was the anti-Gascon candidate. The reactionary segment of Venice had been banging the gong for Ruderman, which told me to look elsewhere for a candidate.

I’m not sure how much influence a member of the CA Assembly would have in Los Angeles County politics, especially being an outlier in the Venice community. I would guess that most Angelenos couldn’t name their assembly person, or state senator.

I live in California’s 62nd Assembly District, and as stated above, no Republican was on the primary ballot — as you might expect for a district with less than 12% registered Republicans.

I would guess that Nico Ruderman, of the Venice Neighborhood Council, was the anti-Gascon candidate. The reactionary segment of Venice had been banging the gong for Ruderman, which told me to look elsewhere for a candidate.

I’m not sure how much influence a member of the CA Assembly would have in Los Angeles County politics, especially being an outlier in the Venice community. I would guess that most Angelenos couldn’t name their assembly person, or state senator.

My old digs (basement Apt C)

morrisonBIG.gif

My old digs (basement Apt C)

View attachment 67384566
Really, a basement apartment? I was under the impression that we have a high water table here.
We had a terrible time with our remodel because the trenches for the foundations of the expanded footprint would fill with water after each rain. The water would continually seep back in after being pumped out — one of the problems with an El Niño year. (But I would really welcome an El Niño year in 2022-2023.)

Those bullet points would appeal to most libertarians.

Those bullet points would appeal to most libertarians.
I disagree. Most libertarians are for individual responsibility, and accountability for one's actions.

GascĂłn is against individual responsibility, and accountability, and this is why criminals adore him. They know they that they will guickly be back on the street committing more crimes.

Even some Superior Court judges want GascĂłn recalled! Here is a long list of people/cities that want to get rid of him.
  • Hon. Alex Villanueva, Sheriff – County of Los Angeles
  • Hon. Eric Ching, Mayor – City of Walnut
  • Hon. Andrew Sarega, City Councilmember – City of La Mirada
  • Hon. Jason Gibbs, City Councilmember – City of Santa Clarita
  • Hon. Greig Smith, City Councilmember (Ret.) – City of Los Angeles
  • Asian Industry Business 2 Business
  • Crime Victims United
  • Numerous Crime Victims’ Rights Groups
  • Marshall E. McClain, President – Los Angeles Airport POA
  • Moses Castillo, Retired LAPD Detective
  • Ron Jacobson, President – Vacaville POA
  • James Bradley, Veteran – US Coast Guard
  • City of Santa Clarita
  • City of Beverly Hills
  • City of Pico Rivera
  • City of Lancaster
  • City of La Mirada
  • City of Whittier
  • City of Covina
  • City of Rosemead
  • City of Santa Fe Springs
  • City of Diamond Bar
  • City of Redondo Beach
  • City of Palos Verdes Estates
  • City of Temple City
  • City of San Gabriel
  • City of La Habra Heights
  • City of Norwalk
  • City of San Dimas
  • City of Torrance
  • City of Walnut
  • City of West Covina
  • City of Rancho Palos Verdes
  • Rosemead School District
  • Santa Monica Observer
  • Santa Clarita Valley Signal
  • North Valley Reporter
GascĂłn is despised by many Angelinos. He rejected voters will on bail protocols. He rejected ALL special enhancements, dismantled the L.A. Gang Prosecution Division, he tried violent 17 year old offenders as juveniles, and encouraged the early release of inmates REGARDLESS of the crimes they committed. GascĂłn is a shit stain. He needs to go.

Last edited:
. . . I would guess that Nico Ruderman, of the Venice Neighborhood Council, was the anti-Gascon candidate. . . . .
You are correct. :)

🤣 Seeing you sad that your democrat didn't make it.
He didn't make it, so I'll go back to standard operating procedure for the runoff election - I will abstain.

I can't support either of the 2 dem candidates that will run against each other.

I disagree. Most libertarians are for individual responsibility, and accountability for one's actions.

GascĂłn is against individual responsibility, and accountability, and this is why criminals adore him. They know they that they will guickly be back on the street committing more crimes.

Even some Superior Court judges want GascĂłn recalled! Here is a long list of people/cities that want to get rid of him.
  • Crime Victims United
  • City of Santa Clarita
  • City of Beverly Hills
  • City of Pico Rivera
  • City of Lancaster
  • City of La Mirada
  • City of Whittier
  • City of Covina
  • City of Rosemead
  • City of Diamond Bar
  • City of Redondo Beach
  • City of Temple City
  • City of San Gabriel
  • City of Norwalk
  • City of San Dimas
  • City of Torrance
  • City of Walnut
  • City of West Covina
  • Santa Monica Observer
  • North Valley Reporter
GascĂłn is despised by many Angelinos. He rejected voters will on bail protocols. He rejected ALL special enhancements, dismantled the L.A. Gang Prosecution Division, he tried violent 17 year old offenders as juveniles, and encouraged the early release of inmates REGARDLESS of the crimes they committed. GascĂłn is a shit stain. He needs to go.
Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy, freedom, free association and are generally skeptical of authority. They are almost invariably against the death penalty and they are generally in favor of reducing the powers of government authorities, including the police and the justice system, not increasing them. The bullet points you posted sound very libertarian to me:

• Crime Victims United
  • City of Santa Clarita
  • City of Beverly Hills
  • City of Pico Rivera
  • City of Lancaster
  • City of La Mirada
  • City of Whittier
  • City of Covina
  • City of Rosemead
  • City of Diamond Bar
  • City of Redondo Beach
  • City of Temple City
  • City of San Gabriel
  • City of Norwalk
  • City of San Dimas
  • City of Torrance
  • City of Walnut
  • City of West Covina
  • Santa Monica Observer
  • North Valley Reporter
The elephant in the room is that no current Los Angeles City official is on the list of those calling for the removal of George Gascon.

And even more telling is that L.A. County Sheriff, Alex Villanueva, head of the department in which deputy gangs still exist even after he claims to have eliminated them, leads the list of Gascon foes. The rather lawless Sheriff has little room to complain about Gascon; better to clean his own house first.

The elephant in the room is that no current Los Angeles City official is on the list of those calling for the removal of George Gascon. . . .
Not on the list that I posted. But there ARE L.A. County officials that want GascĂłn recalled.

The Association of Deputy District Attorneys for Los Angeles County (a union representing some 800 prosecutors) revealed that an overwhelming majority (97%) of its membership voted in favor of recalling GascĂłn.

Also Los Angeles Department Chief Charlie Beck, the LA Police Protective League, the LA County Professional Peace Officers Association and the Association of Deputy District Attorneys have called for his recall.

GascĂłn is not well liked in Los Angeles. (generally speaking of course)

Americans love their prison state. Its like a lolbertarian wanting to privatize the prison system. At that point its a joke of an ideology.

Most but not all people who claim to be libertarians are just righties.

Also Los Angeles Department Chief Charlie Beck, the LA Police Protective League, the LA County Professional Peace Officers Association and the Association of Deputy District Attorneys have called for his recall.

GascĂłn is not well liked in Los Angeles. (generally speaking of course)

Charlie Beck is no longer chief of the LAPD.

Gascon was liked enough to be elected, especially after Jackie Lacey dragged her feet in going after the sexual predator and murderer Ed Buck, now serving his prison term.

He has indicated a willingness to hold police officers accountable for their actions, and currently the deputies in the Sheriff’s Department are those with the worse record, but vociferously defended by Villanueva.

Gascon sounds like New Mexico's entire justice/judicial system!

Gascon sounds like New Mexico's entire justice/judicial system!
The radical left will reap what they sow.

Come November, we will see some big changes.

They did this to themselves. No tears.

Back
Top Bottom