• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For teen girls, abortion linked to better outcomes vs. giving birth[W:548]

Scrabaholic

certified batshit crazy
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
(Reuters Health) - Compared to teen mothers, girls who have an abortion before age 18 have no negative effects that carry into early adulthood, a nationwide study in Finland suggests.

Girls who had underage abortions tended to have higher educational attainment and were less likely to be dependent on welfare at age 25 compared to the girls who gave birth, the study team found.

For teen girls, abortion linked to better outcomes vs. giving birth | Reuters

========================================================================================

No surprise here.

Ditto that ^^^

No surprise at all.

This falls under the "obviously" category.

(Reuters Health) - Compared to teen mothers, girls who have an abortion before age 18 have no negative effects that carry into early adulthood, a nationwide study in Finland suggests.

Girls who had underage abortions tended to have higher educational attainment and were less likely to be dependent on welfare at age 25 compared to the girls who gave birth, the study team found.

========================================================================================

No surprise here.

Same thing with acts of criminality in youth. If a kid gets prison the probability of his becoming a lawyer at 30 is lower than if charges are dropped.

No surprise here.

There's a good reason to kill a baby...

No surprise here.

Seems to be a big flaw in this study.

The article doesn't specify how many of the girls who gave birth actually raised (or tried to raise) the child, and how many gave it up immediately. I'm pretty sure you'd see a difference if you separated out those groups, too.

The article doesn't specify how many of the girls who gave birth actually raised (or tried to raise) the child, and how many gave it up immediately. I'm pretty sure you'd see a difference if you separated out those groups, too.

Or not.....women who give up a child for adoption are at a much higher risk for psychological problems. I would imagine that interferes with employablility.

Adoption Trauma: The Damage to Relinquishing Mothers | Origins Canada

In the US only about 1 percent of the women give their newborn up for adoption.
The rest choose to keep their newborns.

It's a good reason to have an abortion.

It's a hateful, stupid, selfish reason to kill another human being.

It makes sense that you'd call it "good," though.

It's a hateful, stupid, selfish reason to kill another human being.

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." (Mother Teresa)

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." (Mother Teresa)

And this is this is your nut to crack.

Make prochoicers believe this

fetal-development-week-8.jpg

is a not child, but a potential person.

Clearly, YMMV.

With philosophical differences, you can really only apply your personal philosophy to yourself.

That is why I want pragmatism in these abortion discussions.

How do you better prevent unwanted pregnancy?

How can you turn an unwanted pregnancy into a wanted one?

Calling people killers and murderers may make an individual feel a sense of satisfaction and self importance...but it does absolutely nothing to decrease abortions.

Do you think saying that people are child killers helps decrease abortions?

Why should I give a flying fig what that douche said? She didn't have the decency to use standard medical procedures such as not reusing needles and such, so she evidently cared little for born humans.

It's a hateful, stupid, selfish reason to
BE AN ABORTION OPPONENT. Since there are no actually-valid reasons to oppose abortion, there can only be hateful, stupid, selfish reasons to oppose abortion.
Hateful: Wanting genetically defective bodies to get born, so that when they eventually develop person-class minds, every single one of those minds will suffer from its body's disabilities for a lifetime.
Stupid: Thinking that the world is not so overpopulated with humans that any tool that doesn't target people, while helping prevent a Malthusian Catastrophe, is not a good thing.
Selfish: Wanting more consumers to get born, to increase Demand and drive up prices for everyone (for the profit of politically conservative business-owners), while simultaneously wanting more workers to get born, to increase competition for jobs and thereby prevent wages from rising (also for the profit of politically conservative business owners).

kill another human being.
NOT WHAT ABORTION DOES. No unborn human qualifies as "a being" (a generic person), any more than a rat qualifies as "a being". Sure, the unborn human is human (so is a cuticle cell, or a hydatidiform mole), but that fact ALONE doesn't make it a "being", and therefore it is just a Stupid Lie to call it (or a cuticle cell or a hydatidiform mole) "a human being" (a person that happens to also be a human).

Last edited:
There's a good reason for young women to put *their interests* first.

Just like men have since... forever?

Men have been putting forward their own interests once women stopped doing it for them.

Or not.....women who give up a child for adoption are at a much higher risk for psychological problems. I would imagine that interferes with employablility.

Adoption Trauma: The Damage to Relinquishing Mothers | Origins Canada

I'm not surprised. When a woman decides to give birth, it has a huge impact on her life in various ways; physical well being, mentality, etc. I think birth events change women. Even a woman who is not giving birth can get wrapped up in the smallest amount of connection to a newborn on a reality TV show.

No surprise here.
Assuming the facts are not skewed i only have 1 question.

Better outcome by who's standards?

Imo their is a clear bias in the title. Why cant we just say abortion is right for some and not for others. Trying to prove if its a good or bad thing in absolute terms seems silly to me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The people who wrote the Reuters article and probably the majority of pro choicers also.

Imo their is a clear bias in the title. Why cant we just say abortion is right for some and not for others. Trying to prove if its a good or bad thing in absolute terms seems silly to me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Who wouldn't consider attaining a higher education and less likely to be on welfare as better than being on welfare and/or having less education?

Who wouldn't consider attaining a higher education and less likely to be on welfare as better than being on welfare and/or having less education?

Someone who values life and being a parent more than money and education. Not everyone shares the same values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TYPE of outcome is also relevant. If the word "economic" had been included, between "better" and "outcome", would you be asking that question?

In my view...since many women who choose abortion are already struggling to care for themselves (or themselves and another child), a better economic status can mean not only security, but safety. Living paycheck in a poor area is a safety concern. Frequently the only way out is to become more stable in a work environment....which can mean college or vocational training.

I am not funny about using the word "economic" or "financial" in terms of outcomes, because the reality is that being able to afford a more stable financial situation is not only good for herself, but good for the taxpayers and children she may have in the future.

Back
Top Bottom