• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For Some Reluctant Trump Voters, His Handling of the Coronavirus Was The Last Straw

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've always said that I understood why some people, especially Republicans, voted for Trump in '16, his opponent was a poor choice, I think if Biden had run then, he'd be our President today....but he couldn't run then.

Also, people who voted for him did not yet see him in that position, and had hopes of him behaving like an adult and leading the country in a Presidential way. They hoped he would take advice and listen to those surrounding him who were true patriots and had knowledge and experience in issues at home and abroad. Even I said, he's elected, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he does in office.

Well, over three years later, it's clear that he is a corrupt liar who is unfit for service. He has fired and insulted those patriots surrounding him, and replaced them with 'yes men', all his tricks did not save him from getting Impeached. I have respect for all those who voted for him and have now distanced themselves from him. I have respect for those who will not vote for him a second time, regardless of who they do vote for. These aren't the first stories I've heard of people who are just fed up with Trump and how he handles (or doesn't handle) important issues.

The coronavirus pandemic has revealed that not every Trump voter is a loyalist. In a 2016 race between two historically unpopular candidates, some Trump voters made a choice for the candidate they disliked less, not the one they liked more. Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 but was lifted to victory in the Electoral College by about 80,000 votes cast in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

Now his lackluster response to a global health crisis may cost him the support of some of those reluctant voters. Pamela Rodriguez, 60, is a retired teacher in Arizona who voted for Trump in 2016. The lifelong Republican says she first started to nurse doubts about the President when he mocked the late Arizona Senator John McCain. But Trump’s response to the coronavirus, she says, has sealed her departure from the GOP. “It’s really cemented that I don’t belong in this party any longer,” she says. She plans to vote for Biden, as well as Democratic Senate candidate Mark Kelly.

Even in red states, some voters who supported the President in 2016 but had since nursed doubts about his leadership say COVID-19 was their breaking point. “I just don’t think he’s done anything to protect us,” says Jami Cole, a 48-year old teacher in Oklahoma who supported Trump until the teachers’ walkouts in 2018. “I think the whole COVID thing has just sealed it.”

For Some Trump Voters, Coronavirus Was The Last Straw | Time

I've always said that I understood why some people, especially Republicans, voted for Trump in '16, his opponent was a poor choice, I think if Biden had run then, he'd be our President today....but he couldn't run then.

Also, people who voted for him did not yet see him in that position, and had hopes of him behaving like an adult and leading the country in a Presidential way. They hoped he would take advice and listen to those surrounding him who were true patriots and had knowledge and experience in issues at home and abroad. Even I said, he's elected, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he does in office.

Well, over three years later, it's clear that he is a corrupt liar who is unfit for service. He has fired and insulted those patriots surrounding him, and replaced them with 'yes men', all his tricks did not save him from getting Impeached. I have respect for all those who voted for him and have now distanced themselves from him. I have respect for those who will not vote for him a second time, regardless of who they do vote for. These aren't the first stories I've heard of people who are just fed up with Trump and how he handles (or doesn't handle) important issues.

If the fact that he's politicized the virus and used it to take shots at his opponents while bragging about his ratings and caring more about his poll numbers than American deaths doesn't wake them up, nothing will.

If the fact that he's politicized the virus and used it to take shots at his opponents while bragging about his ratings and caring more about his poll numbers than American deaths doesn't wake them up, nothing will.

Yup...

Glad it only took the deaths of 65,000 people to get them to see what we have seen all along.

Trump is not up to the job.

This election is a referendum on Trump. Do you think Trump has to go? Yes? No?

It doesn't matter who the democratic candidate is.

Trump is not up to the job.

This election is a referendum on Trump. Do you think Trump has to go? Yes? No?

It doesn't matter who the democratic candidate is.

Not only Trump but all the Congress Republicans that have caved in, enabled and supported him all along.

Why couldn't Biden run in 2016?

Glad it only took the deaths of 65,000 people to get them to see what we have seen all along.

I know. :( But some people are slower than others.

Why couldn't Biden run in 2016?

I think the main reason was he and his family were mourning the recent death of their son Beau from cancer.

His son Beau Biden, losing his battle with an aggressive form of brain cancer, was one of his father’s biggest supporters.

He urged Biden to run for president even as his prognosis dramatically worsened. “Beau believed, as I did, that I was prepared to take on the presidency,” Biden wrote. “That there was nobody better prepared.”

Biden writes that Beau’s death from brain cancer in May 2015 — and specifically, the fear that it could be politicized over the course of a campaign — made him reconsider a run.

Joe Biden almost ran for president in 2016, and he’s not ruling out 2020 - Vox

For some reason, he likes to speak of death numbers when he does his bragging routines.
The TV and Radio timelines themselves, plus his rambling pressers, are damning to his cause.

Here's a timeline of Trump's Presidency with Viruses beginning Jan. 13, 2017, when his team met with Obama's team.
This is the meeting where Secretary Alex Azar developed a permanent ulcer and nightmare.

Timeline of the Coronavirus Pandemic and U.S. Response

It''s a long read, but you can skip around. Even go backwards.
Just Security just went online. They're a National Security firm.

Trump's poll numbers have been going up, so this is fake news. Time is laundering its own opinions through selected third parties, as usual.

First the threat that Trump represented was that he'd use the emergency to consolidate his political power and become a dictator.

Or maybe it's that he's a feckless buck passer who refuses to make the tough decisions.

Or maybe Trump represents a potential single point of failure and could get us all killed?

Or maybe it's that Trump has not coordinated the response to the virus, allowing myriad approaches to the problem by governors.

Libs argue all these points more or less at the same time, bashing Trump with whatever comes to hand even if it violates their own principles.

It's all mindless gainsaying partisanship.

The President doesn't have the authority to run the states' responses to the virus. Authority to lock states down resides with the state and local goverments, not with the federal government. Trump can huff and puff and demand governors do this or that, and he often does, but the authority is with the governors.

Trump will be a tough candidate.

Let's not fool ourselves.

For some reason, he likes to speak of death numbers when he does his bragging routines.
The TV and Radio timelines themselves, plus his rambling pressers, are damning to his cause.

Here's a timeline of Trump's Presidency with Viruses beginning Jan. 13, 2017, when his team met with Obama's team.
This is the meeting where Secretary Alex Azar developed a permanent ulcer and nightmare.

Will read tomorrow. Can’t handle a long read tonight lol.

That timeline deserves it's own thread...

Trump's poll numbers have been going up, so this is fake news. Time is laundering its own opinions through selected third parties, as usual.

First the threat that Trump represented was that he'd use the emergency to consolidate his political power and become a dictator.

Or maybe it's that he's a feckless buck passer who refuses to make the tough decisions.

Or maybe Trump represents a potential single point of failure and could get us all killed?

Or maybe it's that Trump has not coordinated the response to the virus, allowing myriad approaches to the problem by governors.

Libs argue all these points more or less at the same time, bashing Trump with whatever comes to hand even if it violates their own principles.

It's all mindless gainsaying partisanship.

The President doesn't have the authority to run the states' responses to the virus. Authority to lock states down resides with the state and local goverments, not with the federal government. Trump can huff and puff and demand governors do this or that, and he often does, but the authority is with the governors.

If Trump buffs and puffs about relaxing the virus measures and opening up businesses and it happens he had better hope hard the infection rate doesn't require closing things down again. To open and then to have to close again would be political suicide. And he better not be counting on being able to blame the governors. They're politicians too.
One Machiavellian twist- by opening up the country Trump and the governors would put the whole country on their side, trying to keep the situation from going out of control.

Just Security

HighFactual-1.jpg

leftcenter04.png

LEFT-CENTER BIAS

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
Just Security - Media Bias/Fact Check

Yeah, kinda figures. At least balance it out with:

List: 74 actions taken by Trump to fight virus and bolster economy
by Paul Bedard | March 23, 2020 03:25 PM

A Comprehensive Timeline Of The Novel Coronavirus
SHELBY TALCOTT MEDIA REPORTER
March 22, 20202:44 PM ET

But I suspect that'd be far to much to ask of some.

That timeline deserves it's own thread...
It's from a brand-new National Security Firm I stumbled onto just searching for timelines.
Here's their home page: Home Page - Just Security

I've been going back overseas also.
Here's one I got from another poster a while back: Home - Asia Times

I have this one on the tele also here on mediacom: i24NEWS
There's a lot of these out there. Pretty intense.

Your TDS sour grapes and sarcastic tone ruined what could have been a good post.
Trump's team briefed Israel and NATO over Nov/Dec, and now they're doing what they do best, lie and deny.

Yeah, kinda figures. At least balance it out with:

by Paul Bedard | March 23, 2020 03:25 PM

A Comprehensive Timeline Of The Novel Coronavirus
SHELBY TALCOTT MEDIA REPORTER
March 22, 20202:44 PM ET
But I suspect that'd be far to much to ask of some.

You didn't mention how 'highly factual' the 'Just Security' firm is.
Squawking about links is something we do expect from the Trump cult, since they have an aversion to the truth.

Do tell me what's incorrect in their timeline.
It's certainly true that Secretary Alex Azar began having nightmares on Jan. 13, 2017 when Trump's team was briefed by the Obama team.

At the current time, the Trump fascist regime is just as bad as the Communists Chinese in 'muzzling' Doctors and IG's.
Here's a few more links for you: Home - Asia Times and https://www.i24news.tv/en

Your TDS sour grapes and sarcastic tone ruined what could have been a good post.
Trump's team briefed Israel and NATO over Nov/Dec, and now they're doing what they do best, lie and deny.

You didn't mention how 'highly factual' the 'Just Security' firm is.
Squawking about links is something we do expect from the Trump cult, since they have an aversion to the truth.

Not a 'cult member' :shrug: But does show your bias.

Do tell me what's incorrect in their timeline.

Didn't dispute their timeline, but, as observed by the media bias citation, "utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes", not fair in your mind to cite balance from another perspective? Interesting. Says something about you then, doesn't it?

It's certainly true that Secretary Alex Azar began having nightmares on Jan. 13, 2017 when Trump's team was briefed by the Obama team.

That's a hot one. Of course the exiting Obama admin is going to spin it to the worst possible description. It's the same admin that staged a soft coup from the now proven corrupt and power abusing FBI / DOJ of their administration. Read all about it here in these very forums.

At the current time, the Trump fascist regime is just as bad as the Communists Chinese in 'muzzling' Doctors and IG's.
Here's a few more links for you: Home - Asia Times and i24NEWS

These links lead to the front pages of both these publications.

The only thing I recall, specific to the fallacy of Trump muzzling anyone is this, the good doctor's own words:

NIH's Dr. Fauci: "I've Never Been Muzzled" By The Trump Administration; "A Real Misrepresentation" By Media

Trump's so much a fascist that he isn't overriding state governor's decisions about when or how to re-open their economies.
'Trump's a FASCIST!'
Yeah, right.

thefailpail.jpg

You've earned it. :)

Not a 'cult member' . But does show your bias.
You came into this thread with an attitude about the truth in trump timelines and want to just parse links, eohrnberger.
Your science-denying and conspiracy theory posts prove you're a 'cult member',

Didn't dispute their timeline, but, as observed by the media bias citation, "utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes", not fair in your mind to cite balance from another perspective? Interesting. Says something about you then, doesn't it?
You continue to complain about another poster's link without wanting to discuss thread content and just how badly trump ****ed this up.
I was going to add China to trump but your posting doesn't deserve it. Take back your insults and I'll look at your links.

That's a hot one. Of course the exiting Obama admin is going to spin it to the worst possible description. It's the same admin that staged a soft coup from the now proven corrupt and power abusing FBI / DOJ of their administration. Read all about it here in these very forums.
not thread content

These links lead to the front pages of both these publications.

The only thing I recall, specific to the fallacy of Trump muzzling anyone is this, the good doctor's own words:

NIH's Dr. Fauci: "I've Never Been Muzzled" By The Trump Administration; "A Real Misrepresentation" By Media
Note the Trump briefings over November/December to Israel and NATO.
Meat-packing plants into the community is now a disaster.
Trump's so much a fascist that he isn't overriding state governor's decisions about when or how to re-open their economies.
Trump's riling up the reich-wing confederate militias with their alternative dicks.

You came into this thread with an attitude about the truth in trump timelines and want to just parse links, eohrnberger.
Your science-denying and conspiracy theory posts prove you're a 'cult member',

You are wrong there. Search back in my posts. I'm long on record of criticizing Trump. So not a so called 'cult member' (or is it that anyone that has an opinion differing from your own is immediately a 'cult member'?)

So that's a fail to accuse me of something you'd like, which isn't backed up by reality.

You continue to complain about another poster's link without wanting to discuss thread content and just how badly trump ****ed this up.
I was going to add China to trump but your posting doesn't deserve it. Take back your insults and I'll look at your links.

So far, in this exchange, you've been the insulting one.

Again, offering up another perspective to balance out your own is a problem for you?

not thread content

Backing up inconvenient truths is a problem for you?

Note the Trump briefings over November/December to Israel and NATO.
Meat-packing plants into the community is now a disaster.

Trump's riling up the reich-wing confederate militias with their alternative dicks.

Speaking of reality, why not come back and re-join it sometime?

You know what? Forget it. Not worth my time.

:roll:

Something tells me that they were looking for a long time, to find this tiny sliver of individuals who somehow thought this was "a last straw" kind of issue.
Because after going over the op-ed twice, I don't actually see any big issues here.

Despite being able to do better, Trump didn't actually fail at doing what it was that was needed getting done in the face of the virus.

He came out, addressed the issue and even had to deal with blowback from others saying that he was just being a fear monger over the virus, or that he was being racist.

If he still failed, then I'd hate to see how one would grade the democrats who ended up telling their own people to disregard safety measures and just go out to socialize, all so they could still spite Trump.

The guy just got away with trying to commit treason, while viciously yanking on the GOP leash throughout the pretty thorough investigation. Those who have decided to turn their backs on the piece of **** over this virus were already on the fence; and pathetically about a hundred reasons beyond why they should have already woken the **** up.

I believe the GOP made a great historical error in their zeal to show blind support for this trash. The history books are going to be brutal to names like Trump and McConnell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom