• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For self-employed people--What kind of health insurance do you have?

What kind of health insurance do you have?

• Obamacare, Silver Plan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obamacare, Gold Plan

• Obamacare, platinum Plan

• Medicare, Part A only

• Medicare, All Parts

• Uninsured, Paying Penalty

• Total voters

ronpaulvoter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
This poll is for self-employed people: What kind of health insurance do you have? Did you choose "Obamacare" or a private company? Has your premium gone up or down? Has your deductible gone up or down? Did you have your policy cancelled? Did you decide to "opt out" and pay as you go, in addition to the Obamacare penalties; how much have you paid in penalties? After your experience, would you like to keep or repeal Obamacare?

Last edited:
Thankfully I work for a medical education and reporting company (self-employed contractor). They are owned by a group of doctors who provide us with our own boutique group insurance. The plan was the best I've ever had, but they had to dumb it down because under Obamacare it was a Cadillac plan. Anything not covered by the plan now they make sure we have the service even if it has to be done under the table so to speak.

This poll is for self-employed people: What kind of health insurance do you have? Did you choose "Obamacare" or a private company? Has your premium gone up or down? Has your deductible gone up or down? Did you have your policy cancelled? Did you decide to "opt out" and pay as you go, in addition to the Obamacare penalties; how much have you paid in penalties? After your experience, would you like to keep or repeal Obamacare?

I live outside the us and have an all inclusive German private policy.

VA healthcare. So I don't need to sign up for Obama-care.

Now on Medicare at 65 years of age. Retired the past 6 years. My coverage is about the same as my group coverage was but I pay only about one forth of the cost for the group plan I was on (COBRA) from previous employer.

When I was first self-employed in, like, 2009 or so, getting coverage was stupidly expensive. I certainly couldn't afford it, so I just lived without it. I was about 19, and I was trying to pull off what seems to be the impossible for my generation and, ya know, actually be inventive and self-sufficient, rather than working 60 hours a week in some box. I made a living -- just -- but having health insurance was a mere pipe dream on what I made. Yay for America making entrepreneurialism the purview of the old and wealthy... And people ask the millenials why they don't seem motivated. That's why. Anyway...

The next time I was self-employed around 2014, it was still stupidly expensive.

Although I was gettin' by on savings, I wasn't really making enough to buy health insurance because I was caretaking for a parent, so I could only work part-time. I didn't qualify for state med in 2014, despite the fact that I could only work limited hours (and in fact, my limited and inflexible hours due to caretaking were the entire reason I quit my 9-to-5 in the first place). Somehow the government still deemed my part-time freelance income as "sufficient" to buy a plan that costs a few thousand dollars a year in premiums alone.

So, to answer your question, I was never able to afford insurance as a self-employed person. Post-ACA, nothing got any better, but also nothing got worse I guess. Wait, actually it did: the penalty. Fortunately due to the timing of everything, I was able to get an exemption from it.

Most other self-employed people I knew also didn't have health insurance, or had to give it up some time in the 2000's when it became unaffordable, and despite the fact that I scaled the ladder pretty quickly in the employer-based world while I was in it, at no point did I make enough that I could have comfortably afforded insurance without the help of my job.

Now I live in a place with public healthcare.

Last edited:
have Kaiser for my family business for 5 people and myself it has been going up every year since 1991 they go by age ...Obama care had nothing to do with it.. other peoples insurance went up because their carriers had to change their plan from junk ins to full medical ins. to meet Obama care coverage.

Private plan. I have no employees. I have a family of four. I compared prices, including Obama plans. It was the cheapest. Last year, I had an Obama Gold plan. I try to keep deductibles at $5k for the family and go from there. PPO.

I thank God every day that I don't live in the US under your health service, I pay around $2000.00 for my private health cover per year and $1000.00 for government Medicare and now being retired it's even cheaper

Back
Top Bottom