• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(For Republicans) Should Romney resign?

Should Romney resign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Overitall

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I see where some are calling for it. But if he truly voted his conscience on the articles of impeachment is that what we should want -- impartial judgment?

This question, right here, is what is wrong with the Republican party.... aka President Oompa Loompa cult followers party.

I saw the Romney interview with Wallace to see why he was doing what he was doing, and the bottom line is that Romney does believe what he did was right.

He is just as wrong as many Democrats on the subject at the end of the day, but I will take Romney at his word. He seems to think what he did was the moral thing.

So there are many politicians that I think are not worthy of their office, but there is little I can do about many of those I don't like. I don't live in California, so I can't do much about Pelosi or Schiff. I don't live in Utah, so I can't do much about Romney either.

So I will give Romney a point for following his convictions, loath him for it, then give him -10 points for voting guilty. He is still in the hole on the subject.

But our government is all about coalitions, and Romney does have an R behind his name, he does have a somewhat solid Republican voting record, and so he is miles better than any Democrat out there.

Its up to Utah if he stays or not.

This question, right here, is what is wrong with the Republican party.... aka President Oompa Loompa cult followers party.
Perhaps that's a question for another thread. :peace

Let Utah deal with Romney. He's their baby, let them clean up his puke.

I see where some are calling for it. But if he truly voted his conscience on the articles of impeachment is that what we should want -- impartial judgment?

I voted no in the poll, but I don't think Romney voted his conscience. Luther's right; it's up to the Utah GOP and the people who elected him to deal with him and his representation of them.

Let Utah deal with Romney. He's their baby, let them clean up his puke.
They will have to wait four more years (and I've seen that Romney intends to run for another term). From what I understand only the Senate can remove one of their own. So Utah might be stuck with him unless they loudly call for his removal prior to that.

I voted no in the poll, but I don't think Romney voted his conscience. Luther's right; it's up to the Utah GOP and the people who elected him to deal with him and his representation of them.
I've always considered Romney to be a phony. What makes you think he wasn't being honest?

If his convictions require that he leave the Senate, he should. Otherwise, let the voters in Utah decide whether they want Romney to represent them, or not.

However, the notion that the Bidens were unfairly the target of Trump's personal prejudice is frappery. The actions of the Bidens in Ukraine practically scream for investigation. Yes, it could damage Joe's candidacy. Too bad. Running for high office isn't a shield against investigation. Ask Hillary and Trump.

If his convictions require that he leave the Senate, he should. Otherwise, let the voters in Utah decide whether they want Romney to represent them, or not.

However, the notion that the Bidens were unfairly the target of Trump's personal prejudice is frappery. The actions of the Bidens in Ukraine practically scream for investigation. Yes, it could damage Joe's candidacy. Too bad. Running for high office isn't a shield against investigation. Ask Hillary and Trump.
Humbolt, I'm not sure what the Bidens have to do with the topic of this thread. Isn't there plenty of threads discussing that issue? :peace

Resign?

He should be executed for such a treasonous act against the President and the Nation.

For Trump is the great father and guiding light of the nation, the nation is Trump and Trump is the nation.

Execute Romney, treasonous scumbag.

Hail Trump!

They will have to wait four more years (and I've seen that Romney intends to run for another term). From what I understand only the Senate can remove one of their own. So Utah might be stuck with him unless they loudly call for his removal prior to that.

Not that they didn't know before, but now it's quite obvious who Romney is and how he rolls. If the people of Utah call for his ouster he'll likely resign....and move in with Jeff Flake. If Utah supports him then the rest of the senate will just need to take him into consideration going forward.

The important thing we all need to remember, especially when things are as politically amped up as they are these days, is that political disagreement is a sign of freedom. It isn't until we start imposing "purity tests" on ideology or party affiliation that liberty wanes.

Let people disagree. Let them be jerks. Stand up for what you believe and state your case with conviction. Call the other guy a blithering idiot if that's your take but don't try to shut others up or shut them out just because you disagree with them.

His flip-flops.
Yep, that's why I considered him very early on to be a phony. His speech explaining his decision sorta reminded me of Jimmy Carter who in my opinion seemed to think his being religious should win him the Office. I don't mind one living by their beliefs but didn't Jesus say something about the hypocritical Pharisees wanting to be seen praying for optics? (Gee, don't mean to turn this into a religious discussion. :) ).

Not that they didn't know before, but now it's quite obvious who Romney is and how he rolls. If the people of Utah call for his ouster he'll likely resign....and move in with Jeff Flake. If Utah supports him then the rest of the senate will just need to take him into consideration going forward.

The important thing we all need to remember, especially when things are as politically amped up as they are these days, is that political disagreement is a sign of freedom. It isn't until we start imposing "purity tests" on ideology or party affiliation that liberty wanes.

Let people disagree. Let them be jerks. Stand up for what you believe and state your case with conviction. Call the other guy a blithering idiot if that's your take but don't try to shut others up or shut them out just because you disagree with them.
Nicely said!

Humbolt, I'm not sure what the Bidens have to do with the topic of this thread. Isn't there plenty of threads discussing that issue? :peace

The Bidens were central to Romney's decision, according to Romney. I'm assuming his vote on impeachment is the basis for your question. If the reasons Romney offered to explain his vote aren't pertinent, then I suppose, "I don't like his hair," is sufficient.

The Bidens were central to Romney's decision, according to Romney. I'm assuming his vote on impeachment is the basis for your question. If the reasons Romney offered to explain his vote aren't pertinent, then I suppose, "I don't like his hair," is sufficient.
I see your point. Still not sure the Biden's were central to Romney's decision. Other than the fact that he thought Trump shouldn't be asking a foreign nation to investigate a political opponent. Whether they (the Bidens) deserved to be investigated is a separate discussion. I happen to believe they should be. Nevertheless, (and I"m probably gonna regret saying this) if Trump was concerned about Ukraine's corruption why zero in on one example? Why not speak of it in general terms?

I see your point. Still not sure the Biden's were central to Romney's decision. Other than the fact that he thought Trump shouldn't be asking a foreign nation to investigate a political opponent. Whether they (the Bidens) deserved to be investigated is a separate discussion. I happen to believe they should be. Nevertheless, (and I"m probably gonna regret saying this) if Trump was concerned about Ukraine's corruption why zero in on one example? Why not speak of it in general terms?

In answer to your question, I mentioned it because Romney declared it central to his decision. Mentioning the Bidens with regard to Ukrainian corruption is general in nature. If you believe Hunter's appointment to the board at Burima was just a fluke, perhaps it's not general in nature to mention the Bidens. However, that these things are widely and publically known would fall into the category of general knowlege, I believe. Trump didn't mention anything not previously known and questioned.

In answer to your question, I mentioned it because Romney declared it central to his decision. Mentioning the Bidens with regard to Ukrainian corruption is general in nature. If you believe Hunter's appointment to the board at Burima was just a fluke, perhaps it's not general in nature to mention the Bidens. However, that these things are widely and publically known would fall into the category of general knowlege, I believe. Trump didn't mention anything not previously known and questioned.
True. I think if he stuck to questioning what happen in the 2016 election as far as corruption goes it would have been fine to bring up. But like Biden, he zeroed in on one element of corruption (who clearly tied aid to it) the prosecutor.

True. I think if he stuck to questioning what happen in the 2016 election as far as corruption goes it would have been fine to bring up. But like Biden, he zeroed in on one element of corruption (who clearly tied aid to it) the prosecutor.

I don't know that aid was clearly tied to an investigation of the Bidens, specifically. The result suggests not. I don't believe Trump's decision to mention the Bidens was a wise one, but I also don't believe it was an impeachable offense. As I said, I think Romney's personal dislike for Trump colored his decision. I believe we should hope for more objective consideration from senators in these matters.

I've always considered Romney to be a phony. What makes you think he wasn't being honest?

His expedient journey from never-Trumper to groveler to Brutus.

From Daily Kos:

Mitt Romney will be sworn in as the junior senator from Utah on Tuesday, 12 years after he finished his time as governor of Massachusetts and seven years and change after he lost to President Barack Obama. It’s also just over two years after Romney groveled to Donald Trump in hopes of being named secretary of state. But, entering the Senate, Romney is back to pretending he has meaningful morals and a spine, writing a Washington Post op-ed declaring that “With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring.” [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/1/2/1822966/-Mitt-Romney-pretends-he-has-an-anti-Trump-spine-two-years-after-groveling-for-a-Cabinet-job

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://wbsm.com/romney-a-never-trumper-no-more-opinion/[/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

From Daily Kos:

Mitt Romney will be sworn in as the junior senator from Utah on Tuesday, 12 years after he finished his time as governor of Massachusetts and seven years and change after he lost to President Barack Obama. It’s also just over two years after Romney groveled to Donald Trump in hopes of being named secretary of state. But, entering the Senate, Romney is back to pretending he has meaningful morals and a spine, writing a Washington Post op-ed declaring that “With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring.” [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/1/2/1822966/-Mitt-Romney-pretends-he-has-an-anti-Trump-spine-two-years-after-groveling-for-a-Cabinet-job

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://wbsm.com/romney-a-never-trumper-no-more-opinion/[/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]
Yeah, I think you pretty much nailed it. I forgot about his groveling for a spot on Trump’s cabinet. I think Trump made the right decision in that instance.

From Daily Kos:

[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

Romney never really has figured out that playing in the middle of the road generally leads to everyone and their uncle running you over.

Romney never really has figured out that playing in the middle of the road generally leads to everyone and their uncle running you over.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him switching party affiliation. He’s now the hero of the Dems.

Except that the vast majority of republicans dont support him being removed.

Back
Top Bottom