• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(For Republicans) Should Romney resign?

Should Romney resign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The important thing we all need to remember, especially when things are as politically amped up as they are these days, is that political disagreement is a sign of freedom. It isn't until we start imposing "purity tests" on ideology or party affiliation that liberty wanes.

You mean like attacking anyone who doesn't swear loyalty to you? To publicly attack, demean, and attempt to discredit anyhow who speaks out against you? To fire anyhow who disagrees with you? To declare anyone who disapproves of you, or anyone who investigates you as evil and enemies of the country?

To be in a position in our current government that is not elected fealty needs to be sworn to the president, not the country. If you disagree or oppose Trump or any of his policies you are an enemy of the state who should be silenced and imprisoned.

What planet are you living on?

I live on the planet where even on a highly politicized debate board like DP, the No vote for "Should Romney Resign" leads the Yes vote among Republicans by 60 points.

I live on the planet where even on a highly politicized debate board like DP, the No vote for "Should Romney Resign" leads the Yes vote among Republicans by 60 points.

That would have been fine if hadn't also said that the Republican party doesn't enforce purity tests. They do. Subservience to Donald Trump is a purity test, one of many that Republicans engage in.

That would have been fine if hadn't also said that the Republican party doesn't enforce purity tests. They do. Subservience to Donald Trump is a purity test, one of many that Republicans engage in.

Demonstrably false.

No, demonstrably true. We don't call the Republican party a cult without a reason.

That reason is demonstrably false. Romney is under no pressure to resign according to the vast majority of DP Republicans, who are among the most politically award and would arguably be the most likely to demand purity.

Can you demonstrate why you think it's true with anything other than, "B-cuz we say so!"

That reason is demonstrably false. Romney is under no pressure to resign according to the vast majority of DP Republicans, who are among the most politically award and would arguably be the most likely to demand purity.

‘No pressure to resign according to DP Republicans’ is not indicative of a purity test either way.

Can you demonstrate why you think it's true with anything other than, "B-cuz we say so!"

Can you survive in the current Republican party without subservience to Trump?

I think Romney spends too much time seeking media attention. However, unlike the Democrats the Republican party time and time again have shown to be a party of individuals. Unlike the Democrats they are not lock step. Instead of singing the party song, they are tuned in to the needs of the people who elected them.

‘No pressure to resign according to DP Republicans’ is not indicative of a purity test either way.

Uh, yeah it is. It's the ultimate test, voting to REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE. If that doesn't refute the purity test theory, nothing does.

Can you survive in the current Republican party without subservience to Trump?

Let's see what happens to Mitt. If he survives, then the answer is yes. We can also keep an eye on Collins and Murkowski, who voted to hear witnesses.

Uh, yeah it is. It's the ultimate test, voting to REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE. If that doesn't refute the purity test theory, nothing does.

Let's see what happens to Mitt. If he survives, then the answer is yes. We can also keep an eye on Collins and Murkowski, who voted to hear witnesses.

Matt Schlapp said that Romney is not invited to CPAC. One of the reasons is because he’s a traitor. The other reason is because Romney wouldn’t be safe from bodily harm.

I see where some are calling for it. But if he truly voted his conscience on the articles of impeachment is that what we should want -- impartial judgment?

I actually applaud Romney because in every impeachment for a president, no Senator has EVER voted to remove their own party's president, until Romney. So, this impeachment will go down in history as being the most fair, non-biased, most bipartisan impeachment in history.

In answer to your question, I mentioned it because Romney declared it central to his decision. Mentioning the Bidens with regard to Ukrainian corruption is general in nature. If you believe Hunter's appointment to the board at Burima was just a fluke, perhaps it's not general in nature to mention the Bidens. However, that these things are widely and publically known would fall into the category of general knowlege, I believe. Trump didn't mention anything not previously known and questioned.

I can't wait to hear your reaction when you find out what's been going on in the U.S. for kids of famous daddies. :eek:!!!

If he does that then I'm sure that the Democrats will welcome him as it would provide them with a token political victory. I am equally certain that they will readily dispose of him the first time he voices an opinion contrary to party doctrine. For the establishment, every move is one of calculated political benefit and Romney is part and parcel of that establishment.

So are Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham and all the rest of the GOP leaders.

Its impossible to say why Romney voted the way he did. Maybe he is being sincere and he voted the way he did for a principled stand.Who knows...all you can go by is opinion...which BTW is ultimately why he voted on the guilt of Trump in an impeachment trial...based ultimately pon the OPINION of 1 person that actually sat in on the phone call...an opinion that was different BTW than the 2 other people that actually sat in on the phone call. But Romney decided guilt based not on provable facts but rather on his interpretation of the opinion of 1 man which influenced a whole lot of other people.

Romneys own positions on Trump could be taken into consideration when determining an opinion based on his motivation. In 2012 when seeking his endorsement, Romney proudly declared Trump a brilliant man and business leader, a jobs creator...the right man with the right mentality to help build a country. He expressed great pride in his endorsement and support and was nothing but complimentary in every aspect of Trumps life and character. In 2016, Romney told a completely different story...one that was in complete opposition to what he said about Trump in 2012. Where in 2012 he was glowing in his praise of Trumps character, in 2016 he trashed every aspect of Trumps character. Political opponents often do such things. But then...in 2018...something changed. Romney ran for the senate and Romney sought the endorsement of now President Trump. And when Trump gave his endorsement, Romney's recorded comments shower the president with great praise as a leader someone that has led the country to true greatness. but, in 20202, just before the impeachment proceedings...shockingly...Romney again is seen attacking everything about Trump and his character.

There is video evidence of all of this. Its not hidden. Romney is a "say anything" politician. But now we should take him at his word that he voted his conscience and not his bias.

Well...OK...but I bet the greater question to ask is "did he need anything from Trump before casting his vote?"

I bet it's criminal.

The point is kids being hired because of who daddy is, or spouses because of who wife or hubby is, is as common as dirt all over D.C. Sure, it's a form of influence peddling, but it's how the system works and has worked forever. It's the real life version of this skit:

The point is kids being hired because of who daddy is, or spouses because of who wife or hubby is, is as common as dirt all over D.C. Sure, it's a form of influence peddling, but it's how the system works and has worked forever. It's the real life version of this skit:

Sure it does, but few are criminal in nature. Maybe Hunter Biden is completely on the up and up. Given his behavior, I doubt it, but I'll happily wait to see what comes of any investigation, if anything.

Sure it does, but few are criminal in nature. Maybe Hunter Biden is completely on the up and up. Given his behavior, I doubt it, but I'll happily wait to see what comes of any investigation, if anything.

I hope that he is, but given his demonstrated character failings, I doubt it.

So we should investigate all the kids and spouses who get hired because of who daddy or mommy or hubby or wifey is? I'm not against it TBH, but if we're going to use the U.S. government to target those arrangements, let's make it a policy, and apply it consistently, or at least when someone can credibly describe a possible crime.

What crime do you think either Biden might have committed, specifically? Being hired to sit on a board because of personal or family connections is.....normal in the U.S. capitalist system, so that's not enough, not even close.

It should be up to the voters in his home state o remove him from office. Considering how he hates Trump, though, his vote was predictable. He knows he has no future at the national level, so getting a dig in at Trump didn't cost him anything.

So we should investigate all the kids and spouses who get hired because of who daddy or mommy or hubby or wifey is? I'm not against it TBH, but if we're going to use the U.S. government to target those arrangements, let's make it a policy, and apply it consistently, or at least when someone can credibly describe a possible crime.

What crime do you think either Biden might have committed, specifically? Being hired to sit on a board because of personal or family connections is.....normal in the U.S. capitalist system, so that's not enough, not even close.

I'm not in favor of endless investigations. In Hunter's case, even the Obama administration expressed serious concerns. This deserves a look. I have abdolutely no interest in heaping more trouble on Hunter Biden's shoulders. He's done more than enough of that himself to himself. I think we should investigate those events that may reveal serious criminality. I'm not interested in the jaywalkers.

Back
Top Bottom