• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For Republicans, bigotry is the new normal[W:60]

David_N

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is an interesting piece. The republican party is in free fall.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a01efe-a435-11e5-ad3f-991ce3374e23_story.html
THE REPUBLICAN Party, once small government’s champion, is now the party that breeds presidential contenders who would monitor schools and mosques, shut down parts of the Internet and exclude certain immigrants for no reason beyond the faith they profess. In the GOP debate Tuesday, those ideas — along with can-you-top-this rhetorical barrages aimed at illegal immigrants and Syrian refugees — received a generally polite reception, with constitutional, legal and practical questions contemptuously dismissed as “political correctness.”

True, the extremism that now passes for mainstream Republican thought, robbed of its shock value by the unfiltered ravings of Donald Trump, was punctured from time to time with expressions of dismay, incredulity and doubt.

The GOP’s ideological sands are shifting with whiplash-inducing speed. Just a week after House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) denounced Mr. Trump’s call to bar entry to any Muslim immigrant, Sens. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Ted Cruz (Tex.) both said they could “understand” the impulse behind the patently un-American idea, although each politely disagreed. As for Mr. Trump’s four other main rivals, who flanked him on the stage in Las Vegas, none bothered even to address what surely counts as one of the most incendiary proposals ever made by a candidate seeking a major party’s presidential nomination.

It could be that the candidates quail at contending with the question of banning Muslims because polls suggest that about 60 percent of GOP primary voters like the idea. (A roughly equal proportion of all Americans don’t.) However, lunacy has always had a constituency in this country — plenty of people think the moon landing was a hoax and that the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks were an inside job. A litmus test for presidential candidates is whether they have the spine to speak truth to the fringe. By that standard, most of the current crop of Republican hopefuls fail.

Re: For Republicans, bigotry is the new normal

At least they didn't steal Hillary's data. ;)

Yeah, because you can compare that to..
presidential contenders who would monitor schools and mosques, shut down parts of the Internet and exclude certain immigrants for no reason beyond the faith they profess

Flooding the threads zone yet again, huh Dave?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a01efe-a435-11e5-ad3f-991ce3374e23_story.html

the party that breeds presidential contenders who would monitor schools and mosques, shut down parts of the Internet and exclude certain immigrants for no reason beyond the faith they profess.

Well a flat out lie, not surprising, there is only one candidate that is supporting that, hes certainly not a contender and he has never been elected as a republican to office, in fact he was a life long democrat until recently. So saying the entire republican party is full of bigots is intellectually dishonest and its even more intellectually dishonest to repost information that you know to be a lie.

Well a flat out lie, not surprising, there is only one candidate that is supporting that, hes certainly not a contender and he has never been elected as a republican to office, in fact he was a life long democrat until recently. So saying the entire republican party is full of bigots is intellectually dishonest and its even more intellectually dishonest to repost information that you know to be a lie.

It's not saying candidates support all of those things, certain candidates support different things listed. Carson/trump/etc..

The republicants have not been acting like small government champions for quite some time. I am less concerned about foreigners losing their immigration "rights" than I am about US citizens losing their 2A rights. Stopping some immigration until a better vetting process is put in place is not a bad idea. Stopping all gun sales until a UBGC system can be perfected is a bad idea.

1. The Obama administration is already monitoring schools and mosques, so what's the outrage about Republicans calling for it about? Sounds like faux outrage to me.

2. The Obama administration has already shut down websites they find to violate US law...such as some file sharing sites that made available the downloading of copyrighted material. What's so different about the US and its allies shutting down ISIS sites? More faux outrage, I think.

3. To say that a Republican candidate calls for excluding certain immigrants for no other reason than their faith is blatant spin. It ignores the REASON such exclusion was called for. Low info-type people might be fooled by this spin...anyone with a brain won't be.

I have to disagree with you, David...this spun, biased opinion piece isn't interesting at all and the Republican Party isn't in free fall.

I've noticed how much you contribute that's relevant. :lol:

Volume doesn't equal relevance. This thread is an example of volume. See post #9 for it's relevance.

Volume doesn't equal relevance. This thread is an example of volume. See post #9 for it's relevance.

That post is completely ridiculous. The proposals of the GOP candidates are hardly comparable to the Obama ADMIN.

1. The Obama administration is already monitoring schools and mosques, so what's the outrage about Republicans calling for it about? Sounds like faux outrage to me.

2. The Obama administration has already shut down websites they find to violate US law...such as some file sharing sites that made available the downloading of copyrighted material. What's so different about the US and its allies shutting down ISIS sites? More faux outrage, I think.

3. To say that a Republican candidate calls for excluding certain immigrants for no other reason than their faith is blatant spin. It ignores the REASON such exclusion was called for. Low info-type people might be fooled by this spin...anyone with a brain won't be.

I have to disagree with you, David...this spun, biased opinion piece isn't interesting at all and the Republican Party isn't in free fall.

1.) Please explain how the Obama admin. is doing anything comparable to what is being PROPOSED.
2.) Please read up on Trump talking about this, it's not comparable to already standing things.
3.) Some Republican candidates literally want to exclude refugees based on religion, hell, listen to Trump.

Well that puts a whole 'nuther light on things.

is

NEVERMIND.

I don't know about that. I will admit that I didn't click on the link, but I saw a Drudge headline yesterday about Limbaugh calling for it to disband or something.

Were "constitutional, legal and practical questions contemptuously dismissed as 'political correctness'”?

Do grave concerns about illegal immigration and refugees make them "extremists"?

I've noticed how much you contribute that's relevant. :lol:

Were your twelve words really that relevant? :)

One "interesting" editorial is not exactly proof that a political party, holding the majority of elected positions in the nation, is in free fall. One could posit that a political party which holds fewer elected positions in the nation than before is more apt to be in free fall. ;)

Were your twelve words really that relevant? :)

One "interesting" editorial is not exactly proof that a political party, holding the majority of elected positions in the nation, is in free fall. One could posit that a political party which holds fewer elected positions in the nation than before is more apt to be in free fall. ;)

I'd say a party is in free fall when the GOP candidates openly spew some of the most vile garbage I've seen in an election, continuing to alienate minorities.

1.) Please explain how the Obama admin. is doing anything comparable to what is being PROPOSED.
2.) Please read up on Trump talking about this, it's not comparable to already standing things.
3.) Some Republican candidates literally want to exclude refugees based on religion, hell, listen to Trump.

Other than a belief that the POTUS alone could implement such a proposal with only a pen and a phone, please explain how a mere candidate, with a 40% approval rating within a party in "free fall", could enact any such policy into law.

Other than a belief that the POTUS alone could implement such a proposal with only a pen and a phone, please explain how a mere candidate, with a 40% approval rating within a party in "free fall", could enact any such policy into law.

The problem is that the GOP candidates are even bothering to propose this garbage. We all know Trump would never be able to do anything, it's the hatred he breeds that worries me. Same with the other candidates. "Only allow christians..."

I'd say a party is in free fall when the GOP candidates openly spew some of the most vile garbage I've seen in an election, continuing to alienate minorities.

Hmm... I guess your not liking the ideas of a few republicant presidential contenders wins the argument soundly. ;)

I suggest YOU read up on Trump...his actual words...instead of taking the word of some spin-meister who tries to (and succeeds) push your liberal buttons.

Critical thinking is a good thing, you know.

The problem is that the GOP candidates are even bothering to propose this garbage. We all know Trump would never be able to do anything, it's the hatred he breeds that worries me. Same with the other candidates. "Only allow christians..."

What, other than hatred of such proposals, drives your rant? ;)

Do you prefer the Obama plan to let terrorists continue to get (or overstay) entry visas?

Hmm... I guess your not liking the ideas of a few republicant presidential contenders wins the argument soundly. ;)

There's actually quite a few reasons I believe the party is in trouble.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...graphics-of-2016-look-brutal-for-republicans/
Republicans right now have abandoned "fiscal conservatism" and "small government" proposals, in all reality. The hawks/bigots are out in full force and throwing out red meat to white voters, while continuing to alienate minorities.
The modern GOP’s increasing reliance on a shrinking pool of older, white, and working-class voters — and its failure to attract nonwhite voters — would seem to present an enormous obstacle to the eventual Republican nominee. In 1980, when nonwhite voters were just 12 percent of the electorate, Ronald Reagan won 56 percent of white voters and was elected in a landslide. But in 2012, when nonwhite voters accounted for 28 percent of the electorate, Mitt Romney took 59 percent of white voters — and lost the presidential race by 4 percentage points. Without a total brand makeover, how can Republicans expect to prevail with an even more diverse electorate in 2016?…

If the electorate evolves in sync with the Census Bureau’s estimates of the adult citizen population (admittedly, a big if), the white share of the electorate would drop from 72 percent in 2012 to 70 percent in 2016; the African-American share would remain stable at 13 percent; the Latino portion would grow from 10 percent to 11 percent; and the Asian/other segment would increase from 5 percent to 6 percent. If the 2012 election had been held with that breakdown (keeping all other variables stable), President Obama would have won by 5.4 percentage points rather than by his actual 3.85-point margin.

In addition, the group with which the GOP does best — whites without college degrees — is the only one poised to shrink in 2016. President Obama won just 36 percent of these voters in 2012, while 42 percent of white voters with college degrees pulled the lever for him. But if the electorate changes in line with census estimates, the slice of college-educated whites will grow by 1 point, to 37 percent of all voters, while the portion of whites without degrees will shrink 3 points, to just 33 percent of the total.

In other words, the GOP doesn’t just have a growing problem with nonwhites; it has a shrinkage problem as well, as conservative white seniors are supplanted by college-educated millennials with different cultural attitudes.
The GOP will now be forever scarred thanks to the running of Donald Trump and the very real chance he may actually seize the nomination. With the decline of Christianity in america, the GOP continues to appeal to the very religious christians, the evangelicals and the like, while alienating Islam, a growing religion.
The fastest growing religion in the world is ... - CNN.com
Christians drop, 'nones' soar in new religion portrait
Unless the GOP drastically changes, they're in trouble.
Islam, the world's fastest-growing faith, will leap from 1.6 billion (in 2010) to 2.76 billion by 2050, according to the Pew study. At that time, Muslims will make up nearly one-third of the world's total projected population of about 9 billion people.

-- Atheists, agnostics and religiously unaffiliated people will increase in the United States (from 16% to 26%) but decline as a share of the total worldwide population.

-- Also in the United States, Christians will drop from 78% to 66% of population. Muslims will surpass Jews as the largest non-Christian religion in the U.S.

-- Sub-Saharan African will be home to 40% of the Christian population and Nigeria have more Christians than any other country except for the United States and Brazil.

-- India will have the largest Muslim population in the world, passing Indonesia, but Hindus will retain a majority.

-- More than 10% of Europeans will be Muslim, while the number of Christians in Europe will drop by 100 million.

Last edited:

I suggest YOU read up on Trump...his actual words...instead of taking the word of some spin-meister who tries to (and succeeds) push your liberal buttons.

Critical thinking is a good thing, you know.

I do read his words. People spin to defend them though. It's hard to defend a lunatic...
For example, please explain how this can be defended as anything but a call to ban people based on religion:
Donald Trump defends proposed Muslim ban - CNNPolitics.com

Back
Top Bottom