• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For progressives, the Irony Meter goes to 11.

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This is about an article on Slate:

The main image from the piece is this well-known communist turd. It's about those mittens Comrade Sanders is wearing:

bernie mittens.jpg

Slate caught up with the mitten-maker herself, Jen Ellis, who lives in Essex Junction, Vermont. In between teaching her class of second graders, Ellis explained what it was like to see her mittens at the inauguration, how she came to give them to Sanders, and which memes are her favorites. This interview has been condensed and edited for clarity.

She is also a progressive:

Speaking of bittersweet, you supported Bernie. How did you feel about watching Biden be sworn in as president?

"Oh my gosh, I cried. I’m 42 and I’ve waited four decades of my life—I’m tearing up just thinking about it—to see a woman be vice president. I wish that she was president, although I think Biden is pretty great. It was so powerful to sit there with my 5-year-old daughter who I love so much and be like, this is where you enter politics, right? We have shielded you from Trump as much as possible. But this is what we want you to see, a wonderful, successful woman and a woman of color in such a powerful position. It was great to share that with her and my partner who’s also a woman, so we’re just a huge feminist household celebrating this momentous occasion."

On a side note, observe how she fawns over the reptilian Harris simply because she is female.

Anyway, the mittens look very nice, and she was going to set herself up in business with a little side gig making and selling the mittens:

So I put it out there that I made the mittens, they were a gift, and they’re not knitted, they’re sewn from repurposed and up-cycled sweaters. At that time, I had 30 or 40 mittens for sale and being a little naïve about Twitter, I put my Gmail account on that, which someone picked up yesterday and retweeted it. People have been contacting me thinking that they can get mittens,

Nice, right? She obviously enjoys making them, and there is certainly a market for her mittens.

Oh wait...

People have been contacting me thinking that they can get mittens, and actually they can’t. I don’t have any more, and I don’t have much of a mitten business anymore because it really wasn’t worth it. Independent crafters get really taken for a ride by the federal government. We get taxed to the nth degree, and it wasn’t really worth it pursuing that as a business, even as a side hustle. I mostly just make them as gifts.

OMFG. Here we have a progressive, who supports the very taxes which ruined her small business. Talk about a useful idiot.

For those of you who have never been in business, the taxes that crush you are called self-employment taxes. If you are self-employed running a small business, you must pay 15.3% on top of local, state, and federal income taxes, and no progressive on the planet wants them to end, because they fund the left's favorite welfare state programs.

The main image from the piece is this well-known communist turd. It's about those mittens Comrade Sanders is wearing:

View attachment 67315056

On a side note, observe how she fawns over the reptilian Harris simply because she is female.

Anyway, the mittens look very nice, and she was going to set herself up in business with a little side gig making and selling the mittens:

Nice, right? She obviously enjoys making them, and there is certainly a market for her mittens.

Oh wait...

OMFG. Here we have a progressive, who supports the very taxes which ruined her small business. Talk about a useful idiot.

For those of you who have never been in business, the taxes that crush you are called self-employment taxes. If you are self-employed running a small business, you must pay 15.3% on top of local, state, and federal income taxes, and no progressive on the planet wants them to end, because they fund the left's favorite welfare state programs.

The 15.3% is for SS and Medicare.

Not sure but I think small business make up 99% of the economy,

If you want to be taken seriously, you shouldn't call Bernie a communist nor Harris reptilian. But you'll still have your screen name that screams ...

Last edited:
They most certainly do not.

Are you sure?...

UNITED STATES
30.2 million Small Businesses
99.9% of United States Businesses

"Over 99 percent of America’s 28.7 million firms are small businesses. The vast majority (88 percent) of employer firms have fewer than 20 employees, and nearly 40 percent of all enterprises have under $100k in revenue...."

The woman is an elementary school teacher that makes mittens. She never really had a mitten business. In fact, she said she's keeping her day job and not taking offers to go into business.

This is a really lovely flash in the pan, but I know that it’s not gonna last and I need to keep my day job. People have sent me legitimate offers, I’ve only seen a few of them but people have been like, “Oh I own a factory” or “Oh I’m a designer, I’m a businessperson, I could publicize your new business.” I can see that if I wanted to drop everything and pursue that path, I could do it, but who knows how long that would last? The path that I’m already on brings me a tremendous amount of joy and I think that’s the greatest symbol of success, right? This little blip of fame is sweet, and it’ll pass, and then my regular life will just be what it already is, which is kind of nice.

Are you sure?...

UNITED STATES
30.2 million Small Businesses
99.9% of United States Businesses

"Over 99 percent of America’s 28.7 million firms are small businesses. The vast majority (88 percent) of employer firms have fewer than 20 employees, and nearly 40 percent of all enterprises have under $100k in revenue...."

We’re solely defining “the economy” as the number of businesses?

If you want to be taken seriously, you shouldn't call Bernie a communist nor Harris reptilian. But you'll still have your screen name that screams ...
Indeed - clearly they have no intention of being taken seriously.

We’re solely defining “the economy” as the number of businesses?
I don't know about 'defining' but small businesses are the backbone of the economy and create almost half the GDP.

I could be wrong but I think Jenn Ellis's mitten business was probably more of a hobby.

I get that running a small business is hard and expensive. Do you own a small business?

Well, no....SS is a trust fund and Medicare is health insurance.

No, a trust fund holds property on behalf of another person, and an insurance policy require a contract. Neither are present in either SS or Medicare, as the supremes made clear in Nestor:

In this 1960 Supreme Court decision Nestor's denial of benefits was upheld even though he had contributed to the program for 19 years and was already receiving benefits. Under a 1954 law, Social Security benefits were denied to persons deported for, among other things, having been a member of the Communist party. Accordingly, Mr. Nestor's benefits were terminated. He appealed the termination arguing, among other claims, that promised Social Security benefits were a contract and that Congress could not renege on that contract. In its ruling, the Court rejected this argument and established the principle that entitlement to Social Security benefits is not contractual right.

They are both welfare programs and the benefits they provide can be reduced or ended at any time.

If you want to be taken seriously, you shouldn't call Bernie a communist

I wrote a post on this a while ago:

nor Harris reptilian.

I know, it's an insult to reptiles.

I wrote a post on this a while ago:

Marx was a philosopher.

I know, it's an insult to reptiles.
Are you a Qball?

No, a trust fund holds property on behalf of another person, and an insurance policy require a contract. Neither are present in either SS or Medicare, as the supremes made clear in Nestor:

They are both welfare programs and the benefits they provide can be reduced or ended at any time.
That's what SS trust fund does...it hold funds on behalf of a person who is legally entitled to receive SS benefits.

"...Beneficiaries have a legal entitlement to receive Social Security benefits as set forth under the Social Security Act..." -

Medicare is a contractual insurance policy... Information About the Medicare Contract

Last edited:
That's what SS trust fund does...it hold funds on behalf of a person who is legally entitled to receive SS benefits.

No, again, the supremes in Nestor made it very clear that there is no contract, hence you cannot sue if congress reduces or eliminates your benefits.

"...Beneficiaries have a legal entitlement to receive Social Security benefits as set forth under the Social Security Act..." -

Which can be reduced or eliminated at any time by congress, just like any other welfare program.

Medicare is a contractual insurance policy...

If that were true, then you could sue the government if they chose to reduce medicare benefits - but you can't, because it's just like any other welfare program.

They most certainly do not.

They account for about 45% .

View attachment 67315056

Oh wait...

I find it quite amusing how much this chaps your ass.

No, again, the supremes in Nestor made it very clear that there is no contract, hence you cannot sue if congress reduces or eliminates your benefits.

Which can be reduced or eliminated at any time by congress, just like any other welfare program.

If that were true, then you could sue the government if they chose to reduce medicare benefits - but you can't, because it's just like any other welfare program.
Congress can make changes to SS...but they can't eliminate it.

Yes, you can sue if you have a case....

....and under Medicare you have 'special rights and protections' and you can file a claim or an appeal....

Congress can make changes to SS...but they can't eliminate it.

Of course they can:

There has been a temptation throughout the program's history for some people to suppose that their FICA payroll taxes entitle them to a benefit in a legal, contractual sense. That is to say, if a person makes FICA contributions over a number of years, Congress cannot, according to this reasoning, change the rules in such a way that deprives a contributor of a promised future benefit. Under this reasoning, benefits under Social Security could probably only be increased, never decreased, if the Act could be amended at all. Congress clearly had no such limitation in mind when crafting the law. Section 1104 of the 1935 Act, entitled "RESERVATION OF POWER," specifically said: "The right to alter, amend, or repeal any provision of this Act is hereby reserved to the Congress." Even so, some have thought that this reservation was in some way unconstitutional. This is the issue finally settled by Flemming v. Nestor.

Back
Top Bottom