• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For Obama voters only!

Vote now:

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I'm interested in how you're feeling about this year's election.

Are you pretty sure he'll win or not so much? Vote please!

I think Obama is easily the favorite, but it is far from a sure thing.

I think Obama is the likely winner. The biggest threat to his re-election is voter turnout. I don't think Romney will be able to keep up with him in debates. I also think it's fairly easy to hurt Romney by pointing to his flip flopping record. Therefore, if Obama's campaign focuses on getting people to vote, Obama will take the win.

Obama is the likely winner, it will take several gaffes by the Obama campaign(which is highly unlikely) or the economy going into another depression before election time for Romney to win IMO. Obama will wipe the floor with Romney in the debates and I think that will swing a lot of people.

Obama will squeak by, but if the economy takes another downturn he's toast.

at this point it's a toss-up, but I'll have a better idea once the debates start.

It seems to me ya'll are placing alot more emphasis on the debates vice the conditions on the ground than we are. Wonder why that is.

Last edited:
I am somewhat sure he will win. The incumbent has and advantage... I think Mitt Romney is a weak candidate who will has a problem connecting with the voter.

unemployment will keep going down, Romney will keep saying silly things, and Obama will win by around 5%.

It seems to me ya'll are placing alot more emphasis on the debates vice the conditions on the ground than we are. Wonder why that is.
Assuming "conditions on the ground" mean things like unemployment and the economy, the answer is simple. The debates allow Americans to see who can best address "conditions on the ground." Considering that an election is a competition to see who can best address those "conditions," then it makes sense to see those as a pivotal part of the election process. The conditions, in and of themselves, aren't going to win an election. Convincing the public that you'll do something positive with them will.

If the election were today I believe obama would lose...every poll that I get email everyday hes behind. He can turn that around by nov.

Assuming "conditions on the ground" mean things like unemployment and the economy, the answer is simple. The debates allow Americans to see who can best address "conditions on the ground." Considering that an election is a competition to see who can best address those "conditions," then it makes sense to see those as a pivotal part of the election process. The conditions, in and of themselves, aren't going to win an election. Convincing the public that you'll do something positive with them will.
I agree with much of your post, the only hitch being one of the candidates has already been given the opportunity to enact positive results, not to say he hasn't to a slight degree, but somehow I doubt the average citizen is satisfied with the economy in it's current state.

Last edited:

So you don't see a reelection as a referendum?

as long as the gay issue dies down and economics & foreign policy rules the day, Obama will surely win.

I agree with much of your post, the only hitch being one of the candidates has already been given the opportunity to enact positive results, not to say he hasn't to a slight degree, but somehow I doubt the average citizen is satisfied with the economy in it's current state.
And it's up to Romney, in debates, to prove causation with regards to Obama and the negative aspects of economic recovery as he sees them. It's also up to Romney to prove, in debates, that he can do a quicker job in getting positive results.

There's a pattern of thinking on the Romney side that says, "If the average citizen isn't happy with the economy, then that's bad for Obama and good for Romney." That's not necessarily true in any respect. In order for that to be bad for Obama and good for Romney, Romney has to convince the public that Obama caused economic recovery to be slow and he to convince the public that he would do it better. This all comes down to debates and ads.

it's too early to call, so i'll vote toss up.

i find him more appealing than Romney. most likely, he'll get my vote.

And it's up to Romney, in debates, to prove causation with regards to Obama and the negative aspects of economic recovery as he sees them. It's also up to Romney to prove, in debates, that he can do a quicker job in getting positive results.

There's a pattern of thinking on the Romney side that says, "If the average citizen isn't happy with the economy, then that's bad for Obama and good for Romney." That's not necessarily true in any respect. In order for that to be bad for Obama and good for Romney, Romney has to convince the public that Obama caused economic recovery to be slow and he to convince the public that he would do it better. This all comes down to debates and ads.
I'll have to disagree, even though it's highly debatable whether or not Obama contributed to the painfully slow recovery, the sheer correlation may be more than enough to encourage a drastic change if not soley for change's sake. Romney has to effectively play armchair quarterback, which shouldn't be terribly difficult, especially given America's sudden fascination with the National Debt Clock.

Last edited:
It depends on the mindset of the people. For some it will be, for others it won't. In general, for this election, I think it will be more of a "I support some of his actions and not others, but he's better than the other guy, so I'm voting for him."

The referendum that your referring to may very well reverse itself and be a loser for the far right.
I said if the election were today Obama would lose...but by november if he demonstrates the real ideas of the Norquist far right and he brings up examples like Scott walker...he will win...
He needs to bring out Paul Ryans plan that will kill medicare...and replace it with his own plan..thats what he needs to do in my mind to assure he wins.
Romney stands the best chance of screwing up in the next months CP...hes not going to be able to hide and evade soon...its down to two and the media is going to have at him..

Last edited:
Obama is the likely winner, it will take several gaffes by the Obama campaign(which is highly unlikely) or the economy going into another depression before election time for Romney to win IMO. Obama will wipe the floor with Romney in the debates and I think that will swing a lot of people.

I'm not so sure Obama will clobber Romney in the debates. Remember, the debates aren't about logic, reason, or truth. If they were, I would expect Obama to absolutely destroy Romney. The debates are about emotion and manipulation. Romney's fairly skilled in using those. Since the country clearly is still very, very bigoted, I expect Romney has a good chance to manipulate that in some way and make him appear to be the good guy. You should never underestimate the gullibility or foolishness of the American public. Romney does have a chance against Obama in the debates.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure Obama will clobber Romney in the debates. Remember, the debates aren't about logic, reason, or truth. If they were, I would expect Obama to absolutely destroy Romney. The debates are about emotion and manipulation. Romney's fairly skilled in using those. Since the country clearly is still very, very bigoted, I expect Romney has a good chance to manipulate that in some way and make him appear to be the good guy. You should never underestimate the gullibility or foolishness of the American public.
Debates are months away and you're playing the race card already? This has to be some sort of record.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure Obama will clobber Romney in the debates. Remember, the debates aren't about logic, reason, or truth. If they were, I would expect Obama to absolutely destroy Romney. The debates are about emotion and manipulation. Romney's fairly skilled in using those. Since the country clearly is still very, very bigoted, I expect Romney has a good chance to manipulate that in some way and make him appear to be the good guy. You should never underestimate the gullibility or foolishness of the American public. Romney does have a chance against Obama in the debates.

Romney is smarter than Obama. Romney has more real world experience. Obama has more Foreign policy experience. Obama also has a crappy record to defend. it depends if the debates are real debates or nothing more than speeches

Debates are months away and you're playing the race card already? This has to be some sort of record.

smart voters are bigoted against incompetence and people who get jobs due to their race rather than their resume

Back
Top Bottom