• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements

Re: For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangem

I'll tell you exactly what I did. I graduated high school, went to work a grocery store, went to truck driving school, got a CDL, now I work.

I found a cozy place for rent by word of mouth, and live there. I maintain great relationships with my landlord, my boss, and am willing to play by societies rules.

I also don't do drugs or hurt people.

yeah 30 years ago maybe lol...and what would happen if millions of 18 year olds became truck drivers? you would be out of a job pretty quick wouldn't you? your wages would plummett, you should really keep this holy knowledge a secret, lest the peasant class gain this knowledge through printed type

Re: For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangem

yeah 30 years ago maybe lol...and what would happen if millions of 18 year olds became truck drivers? you would be out of a job pretty quick wouldn't you? your wages would plummett, you should really keep this holy knowledge a secret, lest the peasant class gain this knowledge through printed type

But millions won't nor do they have to.

Working retail for the right employer pays, so does working skilled trades, so does working as a mechanic, a friend of mine is changing tires at a car dealership and making OK money. people with good persons skills can sell cars or the like.

you can turn a desire to make yourself income into income every time. The problem is, people get stuck where they are and refuse to move. I know people at my previous employer who hate working there but won't move to a job that better suits them. I left them and never looked back. but at least those folks aren't leeching.

The 14% group who do apparently refutes your statement. The 31.6% show more creativity than living with the folks.

Some do not have choice, some are able to, sadly most of the areas with jobs also have a high cost of living. Then there are those for which living at home just makes more sense because why would you move out and end up being farther away form your job than you are now for example?

I think several things are wrong here

1) it is possible to live outside of your parents household financially, that is a bogus excuse, I live on my own with no roommates on the waterfront no less and spend 22% of my income on rent, far below the suggested maximum of 33.33%
That is nice for you but for others that is not possible, people have to live where they can find work.
2) Society has pushed the idea that one should delay adulthood and spend your twenties figuring things out instead of choosing a path and working, this is bad
I have never experienced that, that is just stupid.
3) I fear this is creating a society of 25 year old children. I moved out of my parents place shortly after turning 22, within 2 months I felt I matured greatly. there was no longer food in the house unless I put it there, the lights didn't turn on unless I payed the bill, etc etc etc.
Again that is nice for you but for some it is an opportunity to save quite a bit of money to be able to afford that.
I feel this is a negative trend and the cost of living is a bogus excuse, what that means is "the cost of living where I would prefer to live is too high.
Cost of living is a perfectly valid reason.

But millions won't nor do they have to.

Working retail for the right employer pays, so does working skilled trades, so does working as a mechanic, a friend of mine is changing tires at a car dealership and making OK money. people with good persons skills can sell cars or the like.

you can turn a desire to make yourself income into income every time. The problem is, people get stuck where they are and refuse to move. I know people at my previous employer who hate working there but won't move to a job that better suits them. I left them and never looked back. but at least those folks aren't leeching.

well lets look at the averages

the average trucker salary is 40K per year, in your town Grapeview, Washington the average home price is 300K, a 30 year mortgage at 6% interest would be 1800 per month, not including taxes and insurance bills food a car etc etc. and all without including the costs of supporting a family.

unfortunately while that same house 30 years ago wouldve only cost $50,000. The wages for truck drivers have remained flat, when factoring inflation theyve sunk dramatically

so no your kids would not be able to do the same today

That is nice for you but for others that is not possible, people have to live where they can find work.

Do you think I don't work?
I have never experienced that, that is just stupid.

Not that you realize, but my grandparents were married months after my grandmother graduated high school, she was 19 when she had my aunt and 21 when she had my mother.
my great grandparents were married at 18. Adulthood and work was a very quick transition in decades past, nowaways if you're 19 with a kid or marry at 17, 18, 19, 20 society has kind of a shaming mentality towards that.

Again that is nice for you but for some it is an opportunity to save quite a bit of money to be able to afford that.

The problem is, many of these people are not saving money. the majority of Americans have nothing saved for retirement, and couldn't cover a 600 dollar emergency without a credit card.

Cost of living is a perfectly valid reason.

no it's not, because you're applying cost of "preferred living" one can live much cheaper then the average cost of living if they get a little savvy. I would offer if you are working full time and feel you can't afford cost of living I will help you go over your budget, I think I can balance it.

I save money in many ways, I get insurance quotes every year and use them to negotiate lower rates with my insurer. I do not shop at grocery stores, instead I use wholesaler like cash & carry and Winco to buy food products. non food nessecities I buy in bulk at costco.

I buy my gasoline either at wholesalers or on indian reservations, a source of savings.

when something in my house breaks that's not the landlords responsibility I fix it myself. if I want something like a canoe or camera I do not buy new, I use craigslist. I buy my clothes from St Vincent de Paul or Goodwill. I do alot of car repairs myself. most importantly I decide at the start of the month how much I will save for the future and transfer it to savings the day my check comes in. that way when a problem pops up, like the other day my tires picked up some damage and needed to be replaced, I can write a check for it and not be broken by little emergencies.

The fact is, the cost of living assumes averages, not what you can live on if you learn some street smarts. and unfortunately schools are too busy teaching silly theories like microaggressions instead of educating people how to live independently.

I was in the last class in my school district to have learned how to write checks, balance a checkbook register, how to address letters, pay bills, do a budget shop prices that stuff is now only taught in electives, and not part of the 6th grade like I learned it in and should be.

I think you do but not everyone can live in the middle of nowhere, most jobs are in cities, and those cities usually have a higher cost of living. Taker for example myself, I am currently getting a degree in information systems and data analysis, a very high in demand and well paid job but only in large cities. I was born in a small town, I am not going back, it is not a life worth living.

Not that you realize, but my grandparents were married months after my grandmother graduated high school, she was 19 when she had my aunt and 21 when she had my mother.
my great grandparents were married at 18. Adulthood and work was a very quick transition in decades past, nowadays if you're 19 with a kid or marry at 17, 18, 19, 20 society has kind of a shaming mentality towards that.
My grandparents and parents did not. And it is seen as shameful because usually having children before you are finished with education and have a steady job is seen as irresponsible because it is. Also having children does not necessarily mean someone becomes an adult, and being adult doe snot necessarily involve children.

no it's not, because you're applying cost of "preferred living" one can live much cheaper then the average cost of living if they get a little savvy. I would offer if you are working full time and feel you can't afford cost of living I will help you go over your budget, I think I can balance it.

I save money in many ways, I get insurance quotes every year and use them to negotiate lower rates with my insurer. I do not shop at grocery stores, instead I use wholesaler like cash & carry and Winco to buy food products. non food nessecities I buy in bulk at costco.

I buy my gasoline either at wholesalers or on indian reservations, a source of savings.

when something in my house breaks that's not the landlords responsibility I fix it myself. if I want something like a canoe or camera I do not buy new, I use craigslist. I buy my clothes from St Vincent de Paul or Goodwill. I do alot of car repairs myself. most importantly I decide at the start of the month how much I will save for the future and transfer it to savings the day my check comes in. that way when a problem pops up, like the other day my tires picked up some damage and needed to be replaced, I can write a check for it and not be broken by little emergencies.

The fact is, the cost of living assumes averages, not what you can live on if you learn some street smarts. and unfortunately schools are too busy teaching silly theories like microaggressions instead of educating people how to live independently.

I was in the last class in my school district to have learned how to write checks, balance a checkbook register, how to address letters, pay bills, do a budget shop prices that stuff is now only taught in electives, and not part of the 6th grade like I learned it in and should be.

That works, it does not apply to a lot of people who are not able to do those things.

my great grandparents were married at 18. Adulthood and work was a very quick transition in decades past, nowaways if you're 19 with a kid or marry at 17, 18, 19, 20 society has kind of a shaming mentality towards that.

The problem is, many of these people are not saving money. the majority of Americans have nothing saved for retirement, and couldn't cover a 600 dollar emergency without a credit card.

yes we should all clip coupons that is great advice, but its not a political stance, and still doesn't change the fact that not everyone in America can live the way you do, and even the ones who do everything exactly the way you did, they still aren't facing the same circumstances you grew up with. The average american is working longer hours, is more productive, and is paid less than their parents were, and this is first generation in modern american history that can say that

well lets look at the averages

the average trucker salary is 40K per year, in your town Grapeview, Washington the average home price is 300K, a 30 year mortgage at 6% interest would be 1800 per month, not including taxes and insurance bills food a car etc etc. and all without including the costs of supporting a family.

unfortunately while that same house 30 years ago wouldve only cost $50,000. The wages for truck drivers have remained flat, when factoring inflation theyve sunk dramatically

so no your kids would not be able to do the same today

But I make more, closer to 50K

and that average includes waterfront million dollar mansions, in fact we have a whole island in grapeview that's just waterfront houses starting at 600K.

move across grapeview loop road inland you now are looking at properties between 80 and 200K

also average interest rates on first mortgages in this region are not 6%, closer to 3.5%

if you get a 180K house, not undoable in Mason county, you look at 850 a month.

of course I rent while I'm saving to buy, and I pay 600 a month, which covers everything including utilities.

yes we should all clip coupons that is great advice, but its not a political stance, and still doesn't change the fact that not everyone in America can live the way you do, and even the ones who do everything exactly the way you did, they still aren't facing the same circumstances you grew up with. The average american is working longer hours, is more productive, and is paid less than their parents were, and this is first generation in modern american history that can say that

I am 23.

I think you do but not everyone can live in the middle of nowhere, most jobs are in cities, and those cities usually have a higher cost of living. Taker for example myself, I am currently getting a degree in information systems and data analysis, a very high in demand and well paid job but only in large cities. I was born in a small town, I am not going back, it is not a life worth living.

here is half your problem, it is like I said, mindset not economics.

I live in a rural area and work in a major city.
My grandparents and parents did not. And it is seen as shameful because usually having children before you are finished with education and have a steady job is seen as irresponsible because it is. Also having children does not necessarily mean someone becomes an adult, and being adult doe snot necessarily involve children.

It does not in and of itself, but people who become parents and keep their children usually become more responsible very quickly.

That works, it does not apply to a lot of people who are not able to do those things.

why would someone not be able to value shop?

here is half your problem, it is like I said, mindset not economics.

I live in a rural area and work in a major city.

It does not in and of itself, but people who become parents and keep their children usually become more responsible very quickly.

why would someone not be able to value shop?

Well living in a small town where you can really only hope to earn slightly above minimum wage and still struggle. Small towns have they have the worst services, worst schools, no opportunities, depression, and drama. There are even scholarships to leave and not come back. On top of that having a commute well over an hour is not worth it. person's ability to value shop is greatly restricted by how much time they have and where they live.

I thought you were a retiree lol
But I make more, closer to 50K

and that average includes waterfront million dollar mansions, in fact we have a whole island in grapeview that's just waterfront houses starting at 600K.

move across grapeview loop road inland you now are looking at properties between 80 and 200K

also average interest rates on first mortgages in this region are not 6%, closer to 3.5%

if you get a 180K house, not undoable in Mason county, you look at 850 a month.

of course I rent while I'm saving to buy, and I pay 600 a month, which covers everything including utilities.

Thats impressive you guys must have a great union, not many people make close to $50K at your age thats double the average salary for your age group, but your lucky, and i could find a thousand examples of people doing much better than you, at your age. If you were studying to be doctor or a lawyer you would still be in school and be overwhelmed with student loans. So while you may enjoy your current job, and your current salary not everybody can be a truck driver, or a doctor or an oil rig worker.

More importantly what happens to all the people that are not needed, the reserve army of labor known as the unemployed? if the market says they are not needed, what should they do? that's an the important question. and clipping coupons is not the answer

I thought you were a retiree lol

Thats impressive you guys must have a great union, not many people make close to $50K at your age thats double the average salary for your age group, but your lucky, and i could find a thousand examples of people doing much better than you, at your age. If you were studying to be doctor or a lawyer you would still be in school and be overwhelmed with student loans. So while you may enjoy your current job, and your current salary not everybody can be a truck driver, or a doctor or an oil rig worker.

More importantly what happens to all the people that are not needed, the reserve army of labor known as the unemployed? if the market says they are not needed, what should they do? that's an the important question. and clipping coupons is not the answer

Actually I'm non union, one of the few non-union carriers of our type in the region, but since they compete with union shops for drivers they pay decently. that number includes overtime, which I work a fair amount of.

I want to go back to college and study forestry at some point, but I'm still saving up dough.

unemployment is a problem, but I don't think that's as big a one as people make it. most people are unemployed only for short periods of their life, very few people are actually long term unemployed, in many cases adopting new skills can get you new employment. there is some problems with the economy, but I do not believe it to be as bad as portrayed by the media.

According to Pew for the first time since 1940 more American young adults are living with the their parents than in any other living arrangements.

I imagine a lot of this increase (and the study agrees) is a rise in the cost of living and the fact that marriages are either taking place a lot later than they used to or not at all. This can either be a positive or negative thing, on the upside it means a lot of young adults are choosing to stay at home and save money but on the other hand young adults are being forced to live with their parents because the cost of living as made it unaffordable for young adults to live away form home. Personally, I have no choice but to live away from home but many others have the choice.

What do you think about this new trend?

Millennials tend to be more frugal than their parents were. They are less likely to buy a house and more likely to remain renters. Not making the same mistakes their parents did in terms of buying houses they couldn't really afford is a good thing. Unfortunately, this is also driving up the cost of rent. I think it is also both a reflection of the vast amount of student loan debt held by millennials, which can make independence unaffordable for some when it's time to start paying the piper, and an attempt to avoid excess debt by living at home instead of paying to live in dorms.

Because that can still be expensive and in some cases it is just easier to live at home. Even if you have roommates rent, groceries, utilities, etc. can still be expensive if you live in a place like NYC, San Francisco, etc.. It may also be more convenient, why would you move to an apartment that requires you to commute for 45 minutes to an hour in a car when you can live at home and be only 15-20 minutes away form your job, and only use public transit?

You just made my point.

There really should be an app for that. Maybe if there was some website you could go to for finding a roommate....nah, too much work to look for one much less create one.

I don't know. They can do it from their mommies house.

Well living in a small town where you can really only hope to earn slightly above minimum wage and still struggle. Small towns have they have the worst services, worst schools, no opportunities, depression, and drama. There are even scholarships to leave and not come back. On top of that having a commute well over an hour is not worth it. person's ability to value shop is greatly restricted by how much time they have and where they live.

It is what you make of it, you seem to feel entitled to live in a particular neighborhood....

Millennials tend to be more frugal than their parents were. They are less likely to buy a house and more likely to remain renters. Not making the same mistakes their parents did in terms of buying houses they couldn't really afford is a good thing. Unfortunately, this is also driving up the cost of rent. I think it is also both a reflection of the vast amount of student loan debt held by millennials, which can make independence unaffordable for some when it's time to start paying the piper, and an attempt to avoid excess debt by living at home instead of paying to live in dorms.

That's the other problem, if all of the millenials simply dropped out and refused to enroll in college the loan industry would dissappear and the tuition would come crashing down to attract students. People always pay more when debt is involved, always. years ago a study was conducted on mcdonalds ticket prices, people who payed in cash ticketed like 4.50 a meal and people who payed with credit cards payed 8 dollars a ticket. if people payed for college tuition in cash it would decrease because then the students would feel the money loss today and colleges would have to better account the value of the tuition.

According to Pew for the first time since 1940 more American young adults are living with the their parents than in any other living arrangements.

I imagine a lot of this increase (and the study agrees) is a rise in the cost of living and the fact that marriages are either taking place a lot later than they used to or not at all. This can either be a positive or negative thing, on the upside it means a lot of young adults are choosing to stay at home and save money but on the other hand young adults are being forced to live with their parents because the cost of living as made it unaffordable for young adults to live away form home. Personally, I have no choice but to live away from home but many others have the choice.

I'm going to laugh my ass off at everyone who complains that young people aren't marrying or moving in with SO's.

No - they are not - because they've been told for decades that being in a dedicated relationship while young is BAD - BAD for you and BAD news all around. It's immature, stupid, and reckless.

And so now that they're heeding that warning, people are yet again complaining?

So the only logical solution is to tout the positive side of living alone and SINGLE or with roommates. And let's guess why that's not popular. Single and alone is associated with being pathetic and weak. Roommates are a pain in the ass - something which alot of people these days don't know how to handle.

But let's not forget: all this is on the table because parents LET the kid live with them.

It is what you make of it, you seem to feel entitled to live in a particular neighborhood....

I fell entitled to be able to live in an urban area. It is what all the past generations got to enjoy, and now we are being forced out.

I fell entitled to be able to live in an urban area. It is what all the past generations got to enjoy, and now we are being forced out.

Well you are not entitled to live where you cannot afford. You act as if urban living is some really great thing you got cheated out of, it was inexpensive 20 year ago because the major cities were hell-holes. Now that people with money moved in and made all the investments they are ok places to live. but the downside of that for you is, in an urban area space is at a premium, and you need money to afford it.

That doesn't change my point that adults should move out of mom and dad's house and live on their own to finish maturing.

The area I work in in Seattle, circa 1990 I wouldn't be caught in without a bullet-proof vest. now nice apartments are creeping in. I shop and enjoy many fine places in Downtown Tacoma that looked like Beirut from the 1970s to 1990s. Tacoma had the nickname "Tacompton" (with a higher rate of per capita gang shootings then Compton, CA) and most major US cities it was the same deal. 30 years ago you would only be able to afford living in the city and would be griping about it. keep things in perspective.

Last edited:

Thank you Mr. President!

That doesn't change my point that adults should move out of mom and dad's house and live on their own to finish maturing.

why? this isn't normal all over the world, as the article says is wasn't even normal in the 1950's. And in many countries moving away from your parents isn't considered the ideal situation, and is usually only done in desperation, like if you can't find work. It certainly isn't considered normal to move out once your 18

A lot of this had to do with building public housing, this freed up inventory which allowed people to buy homes at a younger age

Thank you Mr. President!

Obama is to blame for this how? This trend has existed since the 70s.

Back
Top Bottom