• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For Family Members of Conspiracy Theorists and QAnon Types: How Do You Cope?

Yakshi

Super Tuesday, my ass
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

QAnon is probably the worst of it, but I'm talking about the "election was stolen!" types, the Deep State folks, Seth Rich, Comet Ping Pong, the whole gamut.

Some just have their toe in the water and can perhaps be saved.

Some just dove right in and despite getting exhausted from treading water, they refuse all life lines.

Has anyone found a way to lead them out of the hole they're in?

In a general sense: what is it about the human psyche that makes it prone to believing in such apparently unbelievable, evidence-poor stories?

What happened to them?

QAnon is probably the worst of it, but I'm talking about the "election was stolen!" types, the Deep State folks, Seth Rich, Comet Ping Pong, the whole gamut.

Some just dove right in and despite getting exhausted from treading water, they refuse all life lines.

In a general sense: what is it about the human psyche that makes it prone to believing in such apparently unbelievable, evidence-poor stories?

What happened to them?

Are you speaking from personal experiences in your family?

What happened to them?

Sometimes the only way to deal with family members whose minds have been corrupted by insanity is to cut them out of your life. You are NOT required to stick it out with an abuser.

Are you speaking from personal experiences in your family?

I'll talk about them a bit later. Right now, I'm speaking about the experiences of a wide variety of people living in a lot of places.

The conspiracy stuff really has become quite the phenomenon, it seems.

The Covid falsehoods, the nonsense about masks--I'm just talking about all of the stuff that would be patently silly to a regular, nonpartisan individual with an ounce of common sense.

How do some people sink into it?

Is there something about how our brains are wired that make some of us easy to dupe like this?

How does it happen?

I'll talk about them a bit later. Right now, I'm speaking about the experiences of a wide variety of people living in a lot of places.

The conspiracy stuff really has become quite the phenomenon, it seems.

Just out conspiracy them and see what happens.

The Covid falsehoods, the nonsense about masks--I'm just talking about all of the stuff that would be patently silly to a regular, nonpartisan individual with an ounce of common sense.

How do some people sink into it?

Is there something about how our brains are wired that make some of us easy to dupe like this?

How does it happen?

Just out conspiracy them and see what happens.

I tried that here actually with a thread about how Biden cured Covid and Trump caused it, but a few liberal voices that I respect around here suggested that I was only making things worse.

I don't think that parody works well with conspiracy theorists.

What happened to them?

Ask your friends an family; you guys on the left are the biggest CT crowd. Just look back over the past four years - you’ve had some form of conspiracy theory about Trump from the moment he announced to his very day.

Ask your friends an family; you guys on the left are the biggest CT crowd. Just look back over the past four years - you’ve had some form of conspiracy theory about Trump from the moment he announced to his very day.

I'm sure most people understand that the vast majority of conspiracy theorists can be found on the right, although the left does have its share of anti-vaxxers.

My brother-in-law says that Democrats stole the election from his bed while he suffers from Covid, which he says isn't real. I call that a real mental trick.

Aside from him, my family doesn't follow politics very much.

They don't like the protests, for the most part, and they don't think Trump is acting like a president.

They don't follow the Russia stuff, the Hunter Biden stuff, or anything else that requires a bit of delving.

They're just regular people, for the most part, who would roll their eyes if some rando started talking about Democrats stealing the election.

In my experience, growing up in a city gives someone a stronger opportunity at developing a good bullshit-o-meter, but that's purely anecdotal.

Last edited:
Seems to be no solution to deprogramming the nonsense that these folks have accumulated.

Back
Top Bottom