• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For Christ's Sake

I read it. What are the central truths of all religions?
If you read the OP, as you claim, and still post the question quoted here, then your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired or your honesty does.
The answer to your question is in the OP you say you've read; to wit:
the mystical essence of all religions. That is our connectedness to the conscious universe.

We often feel separate, and that is why we need "salvation." We need the connection that is naturally there.

Jesus probably was real. But he was just another rabbi/healer/prophet. There was one of those in every neighborhood back then....

If he was a rabbi, he would've been a Jew and married, probably with children

Maybe the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is on to something ?

Of course one of the Gospels tells us that Jesus was the direct descendant of King David...and quite literally had a claim to being "King of the Jews".

...that doesn't mean Christianity is BS....

Well...Christianity is BS if you don't believe in Jesus' divinity, that he was god from god.

...Jesus represents the aspect of "god" (the conscious universe) that we humans can connect to. The same thing exists in many religions and spiritual traditions, it is not special to Christianity....

Not according to Christians...Jesus was much more than this

Jesus is god
God from god
God in human form

...I respect Christians and their beliefs, especially if they aren't hung up on picking irrelevant things out of the bible and getting fixated on them. Like whether Jesus hated homosexuality (no, we can assume he did not hate homosexuality, since he did not ever once mention it!)....

Do you respect (some) Christian's rejection of same sex marriage ?
Burning non-believers at the stake ?
Execution of people deemed to be witches ?
Teaching the creation as truth in a science class ?

Sorry there are a lot of Christian beliefs today that don't deserve any respect. Like the priest who at the funeral of a young man who'd killed himself saying to the people at the service that the young man would not find a way into heaven.
Much comfort that must have given the grieving family.

...Jesus was not the biological son of God, and his mother was not a holy virgin. Just let go of all that. None of it makes any difference at all....

It does if you're a Christian !!!!!!

So much for respecting their beliefs.

...the essence of Christianity is, as William James said, the same as the mystical essence of all religions. That is our connectedness to the conscious universe....

No it's not

The essence of Christianity is that god allowed himself to be killed in human form so as to absolve the human race of sin.

That man is sinful but can enter a promised paradise (so long as you don't cheat and kill yourself) if he believes in god.

Give up a large part of your life for an empty promise of something better after you die.

That's what Christianity is...better to die in pain than stop believing

...we often feel separate, and that is why we need "salvation." We need the connection that is naturally there....

There is no connection and there is no salvation

When you die, that's it. Game over. There is nothing else.

...it makes no difference if you call it Jesus or Higher Power or Spirit Guide, or whatever you want.

It most definitely does if you're a Christian and believe that you can only get into the eternal paradise if you believe that Jesus is god.

Good post, even if no one else likes it. LOL...

I understand.

It's nothing more than an unfounded rant by somebody who can't back up their claims. And you love that kind of nonsense.

I respect Christians and their beliefs, especially if they aren't hung up on picking irrelevant things out of the bible and getting fixated on them. Like whether Jesus hated homosexuality (no, we can assume he did not hate homosexuality, since he did not ever once mention it!).

That's not really true.

Jesus is God in the Bible (numerous scriptures). As God, Jesus is the one who gave Moses the Leviticus law against gay sexual relations to begin with; and he’s the one who inspires all Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16), including prohibitions against gay sexual relations in Romans 1:26-27 and I Corinthians 6:9-10, etc.

It’s also worth noting that Jesus didn’t mention wife beating or other sins such as pedophilia either, and there are not many folks who would argue he approved of those behaviors. So Jesus was under no obligation to reiterate the moral laws against homosexual sin that already existed, unless there were clarifications to be made.

Jesus was not the biological son of God, and his mother was not a holy virgin. Just let go of all that.

No, not letting that go. You just made several claims. Where's your evidence to back those claims up?

The essence of Christianity is, as William James said, the same as the mystical essence of all religions. That is our connectedness to the conscious universe.

The essence of Christianity is salvation in Jesus Christ and a personal relationship with him and God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

It makes no difference if you call it Jesus or Higher Power or Spirit Guide, or whatever you want.

Yes, it does. As the scripture says,

"I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins." - John 8:24

It's nothing more than an unfounded rant by somebody who can't back up their claims. And you love that kind of nonsense.

You can't admit that you are relying on faith, can you?

You believe the fundamentalist interpretation of the NT. Not everyone thinks that is "evidence". If there were proof apologetics wouldn't be needed.

That's not really true.

Jesus is God in the Bible (numerous scriptures). As God, Jesus is the one who gave Moses the Leviticus law against gay sexual relations to begin with; and he’s the one who inspires all Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16), including prohibitions against gay sexual relations in Romans 1:26-27 and I Corinthians 6:9-10, etc.

It’s also worth noting that Jesus didn’t mention wife beating or other sins such as pedophilia either, and there are not many folks who would argue he approved of those behaviors. So Jesus was under no obligation to reiterate the moral laws against homosexual sin that already existed, unless there were clarifications to be made.

No, not letting that go. You just made several claims. Where's your evidence to back those claims up?

The essence of Christianity is salvation in Jesus Christ and a personal relationship with him and God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Yes, it does. As the scripture says,

"I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins." - John 8:24

What makes you decide whether or not to believe something? If it's in an ancient book, it must be true? If enough people say it, it must be true?

If you read the OP, as you claim, and still post the question quoted here, then your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired or your honesty does.
The answer to your question is in the OP you say you've read; to wit:

You are wrong. That is not the central truth of all religions.

Says the atheist. For gall nothing beats today's internet atheist!

What is this unfounded generalization you are talking about? I am an atheist and I am on the internet. That doesn't say anything about me at all. Your prejudice is showing again.

Says the atheist. For gall nothing beats today's internet atheist!

What about the gall to claim that you have the definitive answer to anything about religion?

What is this unfounded generalization you are talking about? I am an atheist and I am on the internet. That doesn't say anything about me at all. Your prejudice is showing again.
Your post said it.

What makes you decide whether or not to believe something? If it's in an ancient book, it must be true? If enough people say it, it must be true?

Nope. You have to actually do your homework, G4N.

Back
Top Bottom