• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For border story, CNN wants a local station's reporter for "local facts"... Until they hear them.

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
For border story, CNN wants a local station's reporter for "local facts"... Until they hear them.

During their newscast last night, local San Diego TV station KUSI called out CNN for their one-sided, dishonest BS. This is just another example proving yet again, that CNN has no journalistic integrity, is in the tank for the political left, and can't be trusted to report the truth to the American people.

From The Hill:

San Diego TV station: CNN declined our 'local view' because of reports on wall effectiveness
BY JOE CONCHA - 01/11/19 08:05 AM EST

EXCERPT

"Thursday morning, CNN called the KUSI Newsroom asking if one of our reporters could give them a local view of the debate surrounding the border wall and government shutdown," a report by KUSI, an independent station in San Diego that began airing in 1982, begins.

"KUSI offered our own Dan Plante, who has reported dozens of times on the border, including one story from 2016 that was retweeted by former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, and posted on DrudgeReport.com," it continues while linking to a border fence tour report.

"We believe CNN declined a report from KUSI because we informed them that most Border Patrol Agents we have spoken to told us the barrier does in fact work," it concludes. "We have continuously been told by Border Patrol Agents that the barrier along the Southern border helps prevent illegal entries, drugs, and weapons from entering the United States, and the numbers prove it."

I'm not a fan of CNN being labeled "fake news", but when you hear crap like this... well...

Re: For border story, CNN wants a local station's reporter for "local facts"... Until they hear them

During their newscast last night, local San Diego TV station KUSI called out CNN for their one-sided, dishonest BS. This is just another example proving yet again, that CNN has no journalistic integrity, is in the tank for the political left, and can't be trusted to report the truth to the American people.

From The Hill:

I'm not a fan of CNN being labeled "fake news", but when you hear crap like this... well...

You guys are sooo gonna lose this "the walls that exist work," fight, but it's cute that you keep trying.

Re: For border story, CNN wants a local station's reporter for "local facts"... Until they hear them

From The Hill:

"We believe CNN declined a report from KUSI because we informed them that most Border Patrol Agents we have spoken to told us the barrier does in fact work,"

IOW, no actual evidence of any bias. Just someones belief of bias is now proof of bias

I believe that KUSIs belief of bias is based on nothing more than its own anti-CNN bias

From The Hill:

Can't be true. Must be a misunderstanding. Or not enough time in the segment. Or failure to communicate. Or something.
You can't be suggesting CNN has an agenda.
You've never heard them say it's a manufactured crisis have you? You have?
Can't be true. Must be a misunderstanding. Or not enough time in the segment. Or failure to communicate. Or something.
You've never hear them say walls don't work, have you? You have?

Speaking of bias:

News Channel” KUSI.com | San Diego News | Weather | ASR | Turko | PPR | GMSD - KUSI News - San Diego, CA Owner: McKinnon Broadcasting. The McKinnon family may have started out on the Democratic side of the political aisle–grampa Clinton Dodson McKinnon was a Congressman and founded the San Diego Journal to compete with the Union-Tribune–but these days they and their TV station are a bastion of Republicanism.

KUSI is the outlier in local TV news, proudly waving their viewpoints whenever possible. They even been known to take right wing spin and–presto-chango!— turn it into fact.

A look at the FCC files for 2014 political advertising buys shows just two names: Carl DeMaio and Californians Against Higher Health Care Costs (CAHC), an insurance company funded campaign opposing Proposition 45. (Prop 45 is a measure on the November ballot requiring insurance companies to justify and explain their rates, placing them under the regulatory oversight of the state’s Insurance Commissioner.)

Unlike most other independent TV stations, KUSI has built its programming around local news, more than 50 hours a week. It’s safe to say their newscasts are grounded in the alternative reality that defines GOP politics these days.

My favorite anecdotal evidence of this slant comes from reviewers on Yelp.com:

John P
KUSI only success is in making the local Fox News team look like polished professionals. It’s a hair above a Public Access show, so view it with the same fleeting curiosity you’d give the two-headed calf at the County Fair. At least the calf can’t talk.

Russell S (Gave the station a 4 star rating)
My wife and I watch KUSI news in the morning. I find some of their segments to be great but some of their political interviews seem to me to be very biased. For a while my wife thought city councilman Carl DeMaio was a member of the KUSI staff. I finally explained to her that He is just a blustery, loud mouth politician that likes to hear himself talk.

https://sandiegofreepress.org/2014/...al-broadcast-tv-news-operations/#.XDi4SqROnDs

Looks like San Diego has their own little Fox wannabe.

You guys are sooo gonna lose this "the walls that exist work," fight, but it's cute that you keep trying.

It would take a rather simple experiment to show one way or the other - remove about a mile of border "wall" between Tijuana and San Diego and see what happens.

Speaking of bias:

News Channel” KUSI.com | San Diego News | Weather | ASR | Turko | PPR | GMSD - KUSI News - San Diego, CA Owner: McKinnon Broadcasting. The McKinnon family may have started out on the Democratic side of the political aisle–grampa Clinton Dodson McKinnon was a Congressman and founded the San Diego Journal to compete with the Union-Tribune–but these days they and their TV station are a bastion of Republicanism.

KUSI is the outlier in local TV news, proudly waving their viewpoints whenever possible. They even been known to take right wing spin and–presto-chango!— turn it into fact.

A look at the FCC files for 2014 political advertising buys shows just two names: Carl DeMaio and Californians Against Higher Health Care Costs (CAHC), an insurance company funded campaign opposing Proposition 45. (Prop 45 is a measure on the November ballot requiring insurance companies to justify and explain their rates, placing them under the regulatory oversight of the state’s Insurance Commissioner.)

Unlike most other independent TV stations, KUSI has built its programming around local news, more than 50 hours a week. It’s safe to say their newscasts are grounded in the alternative reality that defines GOP politics these days.

My favorite anecdotal evidence of this slant comes from reviewers on Yelp.com:

John P
KUSI only success is in making the local Fox News team look like polished professionals. It’s a hair above a Public Access show, so view it with the same fleeting curiosity you’d give the two-headed calf at the County Fair. At least the calf can’t talk.

Russell S (Gave the station a 4 star rating)
My wife and I watch KUSI news in the morning. I find some of their segments to be great but some of their political interviews seem to me to be very biased. For a while my wife thought city councilman Carl DeMaio was a member of the KUSI staff. I finally explained to her that He is just a blustery, loud mouth politician that likes to hear himself talk.

https://sandiegofreepress.org/2014/...al-broadcast-tv-news-operations/#.XDi4SqROnDs

Looks like San Diego has their own little Fox wannabe.

A physical barrier works but we all know that. Only folks that hate president Trump are saying it
does not. Why.... because president Trump asked for the money to fund a more secure Southern border.

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control
April 6, 2006

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5323928

Before the fence was built, all that separated that stretch of Mexico from California was a single strand of cable that demarcated the international border.

Back then, Border Patrol agent Jim Henry says he was overwhelmed by the stream of immigrants who crossed into the United States illegally just in that sector.

"It was an area that was out of control," Henry says. "There were over 100,000 aliens crossing through this area a year."

Today, Henry is assistant chief of the Border Patrol's San Diego sector. He says apprehensions here are down 95 percent, from 100,000 a year to 5,000 a year, largely because the single strand of cable marking the border was replaced by double -- and in some places, triple -- fencing.

The first fence, 10 feet high, is made of welded metal panels. The second fence, 15 feet high, consists of steel mesh, and the top is angled inward to make it harder to climb over. Finally, in high-traffic areas, there's also a smaller chain-link fence. In between the two main fences is 150 feet of "no man's land," an area that the Border Patrol sweeps with flood lights and trucks, and soon, surveillance cameras.

From The Hill:

"lies of omission" is what it used to be called. Now it's called "fake news".

A physical barrier works but we all know that. Only folks that hate president Trump are saying it
does not. Why.... because president Trump asked for the money to fund a more secure Southern border.

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control
April 6, 2006

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5323928

Before the fence was built, all that separated that stretch of Mexico from California was a single strand of cable that demarcated the international border.

Back then, Border Patrol agent Jim Henry says he was overwhelmed by the stream of immigrants who crossed into the United States illegally just in that sector.

"It was an area that was out of control," Henry says. "There were over 100,000 aliens crossing through this area a year."

Today, Henry is assistant chief of the Border Patrol's San Diego sector. He says apprehensions here are down 95 percent, from 100,000 a year to 5,000 a year, largely because the single strand of cable marking the border was replaced by double -- and in some places, triple -- fencing.

The first fence, 10 feet high, is made of welded metal panels. The second fence, 15 feet high, consists of steel mesh, and the top is angled inward to make it harder to climb over. Finally, in high-traffic areas, there's also a smaller chain-link fence. In between the two main fences is 150 feet of "no man's land," an area that the Border Patrol sweeps with flood lights and trucks, and soon, surveillance cameras.

You’re conflating a pot calling the kettle black thread with a pro/con Trump wall thread. There are plenty of those for you to argue semantics and biases in.

It would take a rather simple experiment to show one way or the other - remove about a mile of border "wall" between Tijuana and San Diego and see what happens.

If walls don't work why does he have walls around his house or a fence or a locked gate or door.

if barriers are so useless why do people constantly use them for such things?

From The Hill:

From your source: "We believe CNN declined a report from KUSI because ...."

So nothing but hearsay, based on someone apparently thinking they can read minds. And that's a good reason to trust them? You really believe they can read minds?

Last edited:

From your source: "We believe CNN declined a report from KUSI because ...."

So nothing but hearsay, based on someone apparently thinking they can read minds. And that's a good reason to trust them? You really believe they can read minds?

CNN calls KUSI... Wants one of their reporters to appear in their story to give San Diego's view of the border issue... KUSI offers their most knowledgeable reporter that has covered the border... That reporter has reported that the border wall that was put in place there has been effective in stopping illegal entries, drugs, and weapons... CNN changes it's mind... Decides it doesn't want a San Diego perspective.

Believe what you want, but it doesn't take someone with a lot of mind reading skills to figure out the reason CNN decided they didn't need a perspective from the city that hosts the largest point of entry on the southern border...

I mean with all of the stories CNN does on the 100's of thousands who cross illegally, the dangers many of them present, the billions in illegal drugs that are smuggled through, and how how effective a border wall would be in stopping nearly all of that activity, maybe they felt like they had to give those who oppose the wall at least a little air time... LMMFAO

<sarcasm OFF>

"We believe"....OK.

CNN calls KUSI... Wants one of their reporters to appear in their story to give San Diego's view of the border issue... KUSI offers their most knowledgeable reporter that has covered the border... That reporter has reported that the border wall that was put in place there has been effective in stopping illegal entries, drugs, and weapons... CNN changes it's mind... Decides it doesn't want a San Diego perspective.

Believe what you want, but it doesn't take someone with a lot of mind reading skills to figure out the reason CNN decided they didn't need a perspective from the city that hosts the largest point of entry on the southern border...

I mean with all of the stories CNN does on the 100's of thousands who cross illegally, the dangers many of them present, the billions in illegal drugs that are smuggled through, and how how effective a border wall would be in stopping nearly all of that activity, maybe they felt like they had to give those who oppose the wall at least a little air time... LMMFAO

<sarcasm OFF>

CNN may not have ever contacted KUSI to begin with. Any verification from CNN? Or maybe a CNN rep (producer, of which there are many) did reach out to KUSI and subsequently realized they were dealing with a disreputable network, i.e., Fox News jr west coast edition, and decided to go with another San Diego based news station. Would be totally understandable.

From The Hill:

They EARNED the title, as has the entire msm...who all spread the SAME LIES, on daily basis.

CNN may not have ever contacted KUSI to begin with. Any verification from CNN? Or maybe a CNN rep (producer, of which there are many) did reach out to KUSI and subsequently realized they were dealing with a disreputable network, i.e., Fox News jr west coast edition, and decided to go with another San Diego based news station. Would be totally understandable.

They just made the whole thing up... You stick with whatever you need to in order to prop up those ideological beliefs of yours.

If walls don't work why does he have walls around his house or a fence or a locked gate or door.

if barriers are so useless why do people constantly use them for such things?

If they are so effective, why do people buy guns to protect their homes?

From The Hill:

Because the walls we already have around urban areas work means they are always the best solution everywhere? That is ridiculous.

LMAO.... The excuses keep coming.

Here's KSUI's report on it.

Why would you say that when the walls that exist, do in fact work. You think just sticking your head in the sand is going to make it not so?

When Trump was at the CBP facility in McAllen, Texas yesterday, a CBP agent was showing him blown-up pictures and showed Trump two places near McAllen where tunnels were dug under the wall. Trump didn't want to hear about that and said nothing. Funny as hell.

McAllen sits right on the border. Not all of McAllen even has a border fence. Yet it's rated the safest city in Texas. That's mighty odd for a crisis border city.

McAllen is Safe and Sound

They just made the whole thing up... You stick with whatever you need to in order to prop up those ideological beliefs of yours.

I was being facetious. ;)

My “belief”, based on facts, is that KUSI exec’s were looking for their 15 minutes of national fame by making an unsupported accusation (by their own admission) against a globally known, major news network.

As reported by The Daily Caller (friend of the right wing crowd):

CNN claims that they reached out to several local reporters for the planned segment and didn’t end up interviewing any of them — and it wasn’t because of their politics.

“We called several local stations to book someone for a show. We didn’t end up booking any of them. That happens many times every single day,” a CNN spokesperson said in a statement provided to The Daily Caller. “We did, however, book a reporter from KUSI for a story on immigration and the border wall on CNN in November. This is a nonstory.”

Cohen admitted that CNN never explicitly indicated that they were declining to interview Plante over his reporting that walls work.

“Nobody said, ‘We don’t want your guy because of that,'” Cohen said, adding that the “dust-up” with CNN was really “no big deal.”

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/11/kusi-cnn-interview-border-wall/

Here's KSUI's report on it.

Some great reporting by those journalists. Would have been even better if they reported facts, instead of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom