• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For all the South-haters...

I'm Northeastern born, lived there about 30 years of my life. Moved around a bit up and down the eastern part of the country.

I've lived in East Tennessee for 13+ years now. I love it here.

The people down here are unbelievable different from those up north, mostly curteous, pleasant, helpful and genuine. Yes, there are still a few who carry back to their roots of bigotry and racism, but that exists also in the NE. Society is not perfect no matter how much we wish it was.

Exactly, GottaGo. I've lived all over, and you're going to find racism and bigotry no matter where you go. The South is just an easy target for jokes like that.

the Mason-Dixon line, for the most part, separates Pennsylvania from Maryland. However, it's just symbolic, as Maryland is still "up North" to most of us. :)

What a magical place...

Exactly, GottaGo. I've lived all over, and you're going to find racism and bigotry no matter where you go. The South is just an easy target for jokes like that.

I agree with Both Of you, There seems to be an Invincible line, North and South, of racism and bigotry , with which only time and knowledge will heal.

It's more true than it should be. Wasn't it only a few months ago North Carolina passed a Constitutional Amendment banning homosexual marriage? Was it not a year or two ago when Arizona passed its racial profiling law? I still remember the story from last year in Texas where a man hung a metal chair soon after Clint Eastwood's speech to the RNC.

Of course the whole of the South is not like that. But I think you're drastically overstating the improvements which have been made, especially when you move to the more rural areas.

The South is not full of slackjawed racist ignorant yokels, just like the Northeast is not full of pseudo-intellectual pompous jackasses. It's just that there are more of them there than in other places.

I was born and raised in the South as was my grandfather and his grandfather and his grandfather. I am fiercely proud of my Southern heritage, of Southern culture and Southern people. I live in Arizona and I like here too. Work brought us here and we come to like the state. While the western most battle (skirmish really) in the War Between the States occurred in Arizona I'm here to tell you that Arizona is not Southern. There a certainly enough grit eaters here that I don't have any trouble find Southern cooking in the Phoenix area. For reasons I doubt anyone knows, there seems to be quite a few people from North Carolina in Maricopa County (probably not in Scottsdale, which is primarily inhabited by people from the NE coastal corridor of the US, DC to New York).

There are it seems one heck of a lot of Teabaggers in Arizona. They certainly control state government. But to assume that just because Arizona law makers are very conservative and (separately) often crazy, that the state is Southern or that Southern people are all very conservative and often crazy is incorrect.

I agree with Both Of you, There seems to be an Invincible line, North and South, of racism and bigotry , with which only time and knowledge will heal.

true, zhak, but it's been 150 years since the Civil War, and we still have racism and bigotry, but now it's coming from both sides. White people are not the only racists. I will say that I saw just as much racism when I lived in New York as when I lived down South. It's everywhere, and until both sides stop trying to make differences with each other, racism will never go away. Sad, but true.

Great timing for me personally regarding the thread, Goshin.

Last weekend my wife and I went to a local restaurant for lunch. I was wearing a Georgia hat. Two guys from out of town were sitting at the bar. I howdy'd, "How y'all doing?" as I always do. They were nice enough. Not Southern, however. One fellow with good natured kidding asked if the whole town ate at this restaurant or did we have another one hidden. Or, he asked, "Did we fly all the way from Georgia just for the food?" The other guy couldn't wait to put an edge on the conversation, wanting to know if I had trouble drinking from anything that wasn't a Mason Jar and why would I wear a Georgia hat if I lived in Arizona and I was lucky to have gotten out of the South.

It wears you down. Outside of Dixie, people hear your accent and some of them can't wait to say or somehow act toward you like you are one of dumbest mother****ers on the planet. Then they start with racist jokes thinking because you are from the South that you are a bigoted asshole (like them!) who can't hold back a good ignorant hate.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens. Eventually, you drop your guard and start acting Southern and sooner or later some halfwit can't wait to call you on it. There's a guy I know, I don't know him real well, but we've had lunch a couple of times. He's from Birmingham. The guy dresses to the nines all the time, all the time. He told me that he had to out dress and out class people to avoid being considered a brain dead Gomer.

Unfortunately, I do understand. I don't agree, but I understand. With a Southern accent, if you smile too much or laugh too much, or if you talk to strangers or if you talk openly, or if you talk too much more about things than the weather to people you don't really know, you run a risk of being stereotyped as dimwitted Southerner. Every Southern adult knows it and has experienced it more than a couple of times. Living outside the South it tends to wear you down.

I don't know if you are serious of just funning. But with Jimmy as governor, due to to foresightedness when it came to integration and equality of one and all. He saved Georgia from going through a lot of pain that Alabama and Mississippi and a couple of other states did. Until a couple of years ago the motto of Atlanta was, "A city too busy to hate." I just can see how A T L can replace that.

No, I was serious. I am quite an admirer of Jimmy Carter. His humanitarian work is nothing short of phenomenal. The fact that so many on the right hate him is very revealing about their mentality and priorities.

Last edited:
Great timing for me personally regarding the thread, Goshin.

Last weekend my wife and I went to a local restaurant for lunch. I was wearing a Georgia hat. Two guys from out of town were sitting at the bar. I howdy'd, "How y'all doing?" as I always do. They were nice enough. Not Southern, however. One fellow with good natured kidding asked if the whole town ate at this restaurant or did we have another one hidden. Or, he asked, "Did we fly all the way from Georgia just for the food?" The other guy couldn't wait to put an edge on the conversation, wanting to know if I had trouble drinking from anything that wasn't a Mason Jar and why would I wear a Georgia hat if I lived in Arizona and I was lucky to have gotten out of the South.

It wears you down. Outside of Dixie, people hear your accent and some of them can't wait to say or somehow act toward you like you are one of dumbest mother****ers on the planet. Then they start with racist jokes thinking because you are from the South that you are a bigoted asshole (like them!) who can't hold back a good ignorant hate.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens. Eventually, you drop your guard and start acting Southern and sooner or later some halfwit can't wait to call you on it. There's a guy I know, I don't know him real well, but we've had lunch a couple of times. He's from Birmingham. The guy dresses to the nines all the time, all the time. He told me that he had to out dress and out class people to avoid being considered a brain dead Gomer.

Unfortunately, I do understand. I don't agree, but I understand. With a Southern accent, if you smile too much or laugh too much, or if you talk to strangers or if you talk openly, or if you talk too much more about things than the weather to people you don't really know, you run a risk of being stereotyped as dimwitted Southerner. Every Southern adult knows it and has experienced it more than a couple of times. Living outside the South it tends to wear you down.

Yup. When I first moved to New York and went to work in a dealership, my Service Manager came up to me and told me an off color joke. A joke about black people. When he finished, he was just laughing his ass off at this joke, and I just looked at him. He looked kind of surprised, and said, "You didn't think it was funny? I thought all Southern people loved black jokes, because they hate black people." I just glared at him, and said, "My mother is black." He was kind of taken aback by it, and said that it wasn't true, but I stood my ground, and he backed off. Now my mother is just as white as she can be, but it pissed me right off that he assumed because I was from the South that he could tell me a joke like that.

You mean the ideas of those famous southerners, Jefferson, Madison, Washington, those past political outlooks?

oooOOOOoooooooh the Humanity...

Too bad we couldn't ask their slaves about them.

Me and Bocephus were good ole' drinking buddies back in the day. Nothing like an old dive bar and a good jukebox... But, me and my rowdy friends have settled down...So now it's all whimsical reminiscence...

I liked his daddy more than him. He seem to be a bit too modern country for me.

No, I was serious. I am quite an admirer of Jimmy Carter. His humanitarian work is nothing short of phenomenal. The fact that so many on the right hate him is very revealing about their mentality and priorities.

I never hated anyone in my long life. But politics can bring out the hate. Many on the left or liberal side of things really hate Bush Jr. The strange thing about that is a lot of them will give his daddy a pass. Probably because Bush Jr. was recent and Bush Sr. was a while ago.

then again when it comes to politics and the lack of hate on my part, it might be I am not a partisan anything of the two major parties. I tend to take things as they are instead of believing in the propaganda, slogans, talking points, rhetoric put forth by the two different parties to get the voters to hate the other party and their candidates.

I think you got that completely wrong. The right never hated President Carter, it was the liberal Democrats who didn't like Carter. Jimmy Carter was a weak President because he couldn't control the radical left with in the Democrat Party. The Democrats controlled Congress and Carter couldn't control the Democrats in Congress.

Jimmy Carter gets the blame from the right for allowing the Democrats to cause our military to fall in disrepair during the late 1970's. Carter as Cn'C is responsible to make sure that there's a carrier in every five of the Navy's AOR's. Carter was able to do this just like the past 11 Presidents except Obama. But Carter failed to see that Congress to appropriate the funds to keep the Navy's ships to be able to put to sea and fight, the Air Force aircraft being able to fly and that soldiers and Marines are training for war so they bleed less on the battlefield.

Jimmy Carter was a former Navy officer and a graduate of Annapolis. He saw the hollow military and actually tried to increase defense spending but Carter couldn't even provide leadership with in his own party.

Any time Congress is dysfunctional, you have to look at who's the POTUS.

In my life time I never came across a Republican who "hated" Jimmy Carter. They just look at him as being a weak President who couldn't control his own political party. From 76-80 the Republicans were willing to work with Carter but the Democrats weren't.

The south has the best food in the country and the near the top in weather; outside of hurricanes and high humidity. The best cost of living. The best beaches.

The south has the best food in the country and the near the top in weather; outside of hurricanes and high humidity. The best cost of living. The best beaches.

Have to disagree with you on the food. NYC and LA are loaded with immigrants from all over the world. While the South does have some wonderful food, it has nowhere near the variety of NYC and LA. And in NYC, there are plenty of places to get southern cooking thanks to the large # of african americans who moved up north from down south.

You all suck. Come over here and get some knefla soup!

I think you got that completely wrong. The right never hated President Carter, it was the liberal Democrats who didn't like Carter. Jimmy Carter was a weak President because he couldn't control the radical left with in the Democrat Party. The Democrats controlled Congress and Carter couldn't control the Democrats in Congress.

Jimmy Carter gets the blame from the right for allowing the Democrats to cause our military to fall in disrepair during the late 1970's. Carter as Cn'C is responsible to make sure that there's a carrier in every five of the Navy's AOR's. Carter was able to do this just like the past 11 Presidents except Obama. But Carter failed to see that Congress to appropriate the funds to keep the Navy's ships to be able to put to sea and fight, the Air Force aircraft being able to fly and that soldiers and Marines are training for war so they bleed less on the battlefield.

Jimmy Carter was a former Navy officer and a graduate of Annapolis. He saw the hollow military and actually tried to increase defense spending but Carter couldn't even provide leadership with in his own party.

Any time Congress is dysfunctional, you have to look at who's the POTUS.

In my life time I never came across a Republican who "hated" Jimmy Carter. They just look at him as being a weak President who couldn't control his own political party. From 76-80 the Republicans were willing to work with Carter but the Democrats weren't.

People hate Carter because of this: Operation Eagle Claw

People hate Carter because of this: Operation Eagle Claw

No that isn't so. I was still in the military then and although it failed, most people gave him credit for trying to do something about hostages. One can fault Jimmy Carter while president for a lot of things, this isn't one of them. I do not see how a person can hate any president, a person may disagree with his policies or what he did or did not do, but hate?

Back
Top Bottom