• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Football (Premier League/Champions League etc.) 2020/2021 Season Thread

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
So we're off to the races, this season will be very interesting, I think there'll be much more competition for the top spot, I think it won't be a two horse race again like it was last season for the first quarter of the season.

So we're off to the races, this season will be very interesting, I think there'll be much more competition for the top spot, I think it won't be a two horse race again like it was last season for the first quarter of the season.

thoughts so far? I think without fans it could be a very open season.

My Everton look fantastic so far, James really hit the ground running.

thoughts so far? I think without fans it could be a very open season.

Too early to tell and I totally agree, without Fans it really changes the Dynamics of these matches, fans really do matter.

One thing I'm a little glad to see is Leeds back in the PL, I think it's where they belong, a lot of people look down on them as a scummy club, but I dunno, they were a decent club when I was a kid and it was crazy how far they fell and have come back.

Always like those stories, I have a soft spot for a group of clubs that had some of the last international South African players, Leeds was one with Lucas Radebe, Charlton had Mark Fish and Shaun Bartlett and I always loved Quinton Fortune even though he was a Man United.

Sad what happened to the South African squad... No top players since i Think Steven Pienaar at Everton, now the vast majority of players are South African Premier League players which... Obviously are not of high quality.

That old squad of some of those aforementioned won the African Nations cup and qualified for 2 world cups (1998, 2002)... We've only been in 2010 since due to hosting.

Anyway I've gone off on a tangent lol.

TL;DR I have no idea yet.

Its too early in most leagues.

The EPL will be closer than last year that is a given as Liverpool had it won by Christmas basically, but I suspect that it will be between Liverpool and Man City and no one else. The other teams are simply not good enough. What we will see is new teams entering the top 6 and some teams dropping out.

Joining the top 6 will be Everton and Wolves. Arsenal, Tottenham, Chealski and Man United have not really improved in the areas that needed improving, where as Everton and Wolves have. Add in the Leicester type team (including Leicester) and you have up to 8 teams fighting for the 3rd and 4th places in Europe.

Now where the English teams might have a good year in, is in the CL,... well Man City and Liverpool. Man U and Chealski have no chance and frankly risk not even getting out of the group stage depending on what groups they get.

This is due to the major Spanish teams being in a transition (to put it mildly). I dont see the Spanish teams making a serious challenge this year. However that might be countered with strong teams out of Germany.. Bayern, Dortmund, RB Leipzig and of course PSG plus Juve and Inter. The power of the German teams is frightening to be blunt. Could easily be a German CL winner again this year.

Funny enough one of the most competitive leagues might be the Spanish with Real, Barca and A Madrid all in some sort of transition or/and upheaval. That opens it up for teams like Sevilla, Valencia and others to make a run. We have already seen Real Madrid stumble in the first game and Granada of all teams are leading La Liga. Granted Barcelona and Sevilla both have not played any games yet due to last years European runs, but still.

Its too early in most leagues.

The EPL will be closer than last year that is a given as Liverpool had it won by Christmas basically, but I suspect that it will be between Liverpool and Man City and no one else. The other teams are simply not good enough. What we will see is new teams entering the top 6 and some teams dropping out.

Joining the top 6 will be Everton and Wolves. Arsenal, Tottenham, Chealski and Man United have not really improved in the areas that needed improving, where as Everton and Wolves have. Add in the Leicester type team (including Leicester) and you have up to 8 teams fighting for the 3rd and 4th places in Europe.

Now where the English teams might have a good year in, is in the CL,... well Man City and Liverpool. Man U and Chealski have no chance and frankly risk not even getting out of the group stage depending on what groups they get.

This is due to the major Spanish teams being in a transition (to put it mildly). I dont see the Spanish teams making a serious challenge this year. However that might be countered with strong teams out of Germany.. Bayern, Dortmund, RB Leipzig and of course PSG plus Juve and Inter. The power of the German teams is frightening to be blunt. Could easily be a German CL winner again this year.

Funny enough one of the most competitive leagues might be the Spanish with Real, Barca and A Madrid all in some sort of transition or/and upheaval. That opens it up for teams like Sevilla, Valencia and others to make a run. We have already seen Real Madrid stumble in the first game and Granada of all teams are leading La Liga. Granted Barcelona and Sevilla both have not played any games yet due to last years European runs, but still.

Barcelonas upheaval is definitely one of note, I’m actually not surprised that Messi didn’t end up leaving because really, we may never know the full story, or we won’t know for awhile, but both the legal minefield of his contract and probably, the amount of money for the transfer for a player that maybe, maybe has 3 seasons as most, if you really pushed left in him, would have just been ludicrous.

But I get his frustration, basically carrying his team for years now while it didn’t seem there was a plan or a project in place to continue to grow a team as they had done in previous years.

I am Liverpool... But I thought despite winning two of two, we look shaky, when we want to go, we go and it’s brilliant but I dunno, last season was a dream come true and I’m glad it happened, but there were so many games, such as Liverpool Sheffield where, it was blind luck and we had many shaky perfomances where if the other side had been on top of it, we would have been pelted, Liverpool produce so many chances some games and convert so few goals from it, can be frustrating to watch sometimes.

But, there were many times last season and the one before that, where they showed themselves to be the best club team in the world, bar none, some games showed a class of play, miles, miles above all others... But I don’t think it was as consistent as some people think.

But... Wins a win, but I wouldn’t entirely discount Chelsea and teams like Wolves or Everton to make a splash, Leicester had a nice splash last Year with Rodgers, we’ll see if that can continue.

I could not believe this seasons CL, how dominating Bayern were, that Lewandowski character Is an absolute machine, but Dortmund has Haaland who still has much to show so it’s exciting, but yeah, I don’t rate any English team highly for the CL this year.

Barcelonas upheaval is definitely one of note, I’m actually not surprised that Messi didn’t end up leaving because really, we may never know the full story, or we won’t know for awhile, but both the legal minefield of his contract and probably, the amount of money for the transfer for a player that maybe, maybe has 3 seasons as most, if you really pushed left in him, would have just been ludicrous.

But I get his frustration, basically carrying his team for years now while it didn’t seem there was a plan or a project in place to continue to grow a team as they had done in previous years.

I am Liverpool... But I thought despite winning two of two, we look shaky, when we want to go, we go and it’s brilliant but I dunno, last season was a dream come true and I’m glad it happened, but there were so many games, such as Liverpool Sheffield where, it was blind luck and we had many shaky perfomances where if the other side had been on top of it, we would have been pelted, Liverpool produce so many chances some games and convert so few goals from it, can be frustrating to watch sometimes.

But, there were many times last season and the one before that, where they showed themselves to be the best club team in the world, bar none, some games showed a class of play, miles, miles above all others... But I don’t think it was as consistent as some people think.

But... Wins a win, but I wouldn’t entirely discount Chelsea and teams like Wolves or Everton to make a splash, Leicester had a nice splash last Year with Rodgers, we’ll see if that can continue.

I could not believe this seasons CL, how dominating Bayern were, that Lewandowski character Is an absolute machine, but Dortmund has Haaland who still has much to show so it’s exciting, but yeah, I don’t rate any English team highly for the CL this year.

It is Liverpools to throw away. Man City are not strong enough and have not strengthened enough imo.

It is Liverpools to throw away. Man City are not strong enough and have not strengthened enough imo.

remember though the season before City broke the point record with pretty much the same squad. I expect them to make a serious challenge this year and also Liverpool would have lost some of their edge now that title is in the cabinet.

remember though the season before City broke the point record with pretty much the same squad. I expect them to make a serious challenge this year and also Liverpool would have lost some of their edge now that title is in the cabinet.

2 years ago City had the benefit of all other competitors being poor.. well pretty much. It is now 2 years later, with a squad of key players that are getting old. Silva is gone, Augero is not exactly a spring chicken, Fernandinho is 35, a defensive that has serious issues. Stones is not reliable, Otamendi is rash and that leaves Laporte as somewhat stable when not injured. I have no doubt that in Foden, Rodrigo, Silva, Jesus, and still Sterling, there is a lot of talent, but is it enough? I have my doubts.

2 years ago City had the benefit of all other competitors being poor.. well pretty much. It is now 2 years later, with a squad of key players that are getting old. Silva is gone, Augero is not exactly a spring chicken, Fernandinho is 35, a defensive that has serious issues. Stones is not reliable, Otamendi is rash and that leaves Laporte as somewhat stable when not injured. I have no doubt that in Foden, Rodrigo, Silva, Jesus, and still Sterling, there is a lot of talent, but is it enough? I have my doubts.

i disagree. When city won the title liverpool finished on 96 points and won the champions league. If anything that was the hardest title to win in the history of the league.

i disagree. When city won the title liverpool finished on 96 points and won the champions league. If anything that was the hardest title to win in the history of the league.
Was still between 2 teams, like it has been for the majority of times the last decade plus. By Christmas the EPL is usually a 2 horse race. Only exception was last year as Liverpool had basically won it by Christmas due to all other teams being poor. The EPL might be the biggest money league in the world but it is no more competitive for the top two spits than the Spanish, Italian and German leagues. Only difference is that the EPL every few years changes one nor both of the top 2 contenders.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Bayern lost for the first time in 294 days... maybe it is a sign!

Okay I hope Everton can put up some fight against Liverpool, because Man City is failing big time. Chealski might, but else I dont see any team beating Liverpool.

Okay I hope Everton can put up some fight against Liverpool, because Man City is failing big time. Chealski might, but else I dont see any team beating Liverpool.

Top of the league!!!!!!!!!

also how crazy was Sunday? Villa 8-2 Liverpool lol

Top of the league!!!!!!!!!

also how crazy was Sunday? Villa 8-2 Liverpool lol

Totally ****ing nuts.. did NOT expect that at all. Wonder if the Covid-19 cluster at LFC has screwed with the players heads.

Back
Top Bottom