• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Food that looks alive on your plate?

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I know I sometimes like a steak that's pretty rare and bloody but something that looks like a fancy upturned spider still wriggling on my plate? Or a bivalve from the bottom of the ocean that slithers across the plate?

Link with video

Would you eat?

I know I sometimes like a steak that's pretty rare and bloody but something that looks like a fancy upturned spider still wriggling on my plate? Or a bivalve from the bottom of the ocean that slithers across the plate?

Link with video

Would you eat?

B4S8aJN.gif

I wouldn't, but not because I'm disgusted by it, but because I wouldn't approve of such effeteness.

As for the steak being bloody looking, the only thing that keeps me from eating raw red meat is the fear of the meat being contaminated.

I think once it gets to the point of eating the food, I shouldn't have to fight with it anymore. This is also why I don't care for chicken wings (other than boneless) or crab still in its shell.

Only the "synthetic" part concerns me. I'd like to have some kind of idea what the chef was doing to get that effect.

Watching that video I think I had one of the most visceral reactions to a virtual image of food that I've ever had. Creepy and grotesque as all heck .... shudder.

Last edited:
How about live octupus?

How about live octupus?

Even cooked octopus is chewy and my understanding is that you're not supposed to eat one that size whole. You can chop it into smaller pieces and it will still be alive but also be manageable to get down your throat.

In my view, such "cuisine" is for the pompous and shallow who are "dining" for the optics rather than for nourishment as nature intended. It neither piques my interest nor appetite.

How about live octupus?

<snip>
IMO, the grossness wasn't as much that the octopus was alive, as the huge quantity eaten in one mouthful! :doh

Link with video

Would you eat?
I've eaten freshly killed food, but that's just gross!

And it's synthetic! Yich!

I wouldn't, but not because I'm disgusted by it, but because I wouldn't approve of such effeteness.

As for the steak being bloody looking, the only thing that keeps me from eating raw red meat is the fear of the meat being contaminated.
Have you ever eaten steak tartar or carpaccio? I've had carpaccio multiples times to no ill effect; I think of it as Italian beef sushi.

If it was baked into a crust, would that be an octupie?

Y'know, I see what you did there and just want to note that it was a bad, bad thing. My Groan-O-Meter actually blew a fuse.

Maybe a bowl of gagh. But that's about it...and then only in the interest of peaceful coexistence.

Even cooked octopus is chewy and my understanding is that you're not supposed to eat one that size whole. You can chop it into smaller pieces and it will still be alive but also be manageable to get down your throat.

Never had cooked octopus but had octopus jerkey when I was in the army. A hawaiian soldier offered it to everyone, It was extremely chewy even dried but he did not tell anyone what it was till after. Well after he said what it was people started vomniting, I was like meh tastes good who who cares.

Have you ever eaten steak tartar or carpaccio? I've had carpaccio multiples times to no ill effect; I think of it as Italian beef sushi.

If it is absolutely fresh it is safe to eat raw. If it is packaged steak it needs to be atleast rare, since the outer portion was exposed to air to gain bacteria. Ground beef always fully cooked, unless ground fresh on the spot, bacteriaz and stuffz.

No, but not because the movement bothers me, but because what they had in the video isn't food, it's a little pile of stuff in the middle of a big plate. Screw that. I'd just go somewhere else and get a steak.

Y'know, I see what you did there and just want to note that it was a bad, bad thing. My Groan-O-Meter actually blew a fuse.

His work here is done.

Link with video

Would you eat?

Even if it wasn't moving - it looks like plastic... entirely inedible. So what is it really supposed to be like (texture and taste wise?)

~ So what is it really supposed to be like (texture and taste wise?)

No idea, the focus so far has been on how she has taken her interest in robotics and synthetics into the area of food.

There are some foods we eat alive - oysters for example and the octopus of the video on the 2nd page - I think however this experiment is a step too far.

I had neither before, and the raw egg in steak tartar would probably turn me away from it. But I ate raw kebab before and it was absolutely a treat. Still, that fear of getting sick prevents me from ever indulging on any of it.

I had neither before, and the raw egg in steak tartar would probably turn me away from it. But I ate raw kebab before and it was absolutely a treat. Still, that fear of getting sick prevents me from ever indulging on any of it.
Understood.

My wife lived in Tokyo for a while before arriving on these hallowed American shores, so going there with her is on my bucket list! And of course traveling means, amongst other things, culinary adventure; but I can assure for the same reasons you mention, no Puffer Fish will ever enter this often highly adventurous eater's stomach!! :mrgreen:

Understood.

My wife lived in Tokyo for a while before arriving on these hallowed American shores, so going there with her is on my bucket list! And of course traveling means, amongst other things, culinary adventure; but I can assure for the same reasons you mention, no Puffer Fish will ever enter this often highly adventurous eater's stomach!! :mrgreen:

Puffer Fish..dear God.

I actually consider my stomach quite adventurous if it's about how exotic a food is. If, however, it pertains to its safety, I'm a wimp. For instance, not that I'm planning on visiting India anytime soon anyway, but if I ever found myself there, I'll steer clear from meats and restaurant food in general, which means I'd stick to nonperishables.

Back
Top Bottom