• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Food or recipe failures.

In my meatloaf I put:

Ground beef and/or pork
Ketchup
Honey Mustard
Worcestershire sauce
Salt/pepper/garlic powder/etc
crushed up crackers or breadcrumbs
egg

So it's basically ground beef / mince for a cottage pie but shaped into a loaf?

Friend of mine said he tried making potato salad, and then said he used mashed potatoes. He said "the texture seemed off". Uh... no duh! And this guy is a medical doctor. Just proves that even educated people can be really stupid.

I try new recipes all the time, but I rarely ever seek out published recipes. Understanding the techniques in cooking and seasoning are better than looking for recipes. And these online recipes are a minefield of bad information in many cases.

This is one of those things that separates America from the UK. I hear about meatloaf in films, I see people in video eating it but I have no idea exactly what it is. I've asked friends and nobody really knows even with google pictures.
I just don't understand the concept.

No offense intended, but the UK isn't exactly known for being a hotbed of culinary genius. Lots of overcooked meats and potatoes.

I remember when the Beatles first came to the USA, and in an interview I think one of them commented on how great the food was here compared to England. Which made you think they had been to some great 5 star restaurants or something, when actually they were commenting on food in diners and cafes.

Meatloaf BTW is a dish probably that came from the Romans, so I would think British folks would know about it. In Germany there are meatloaf style dishes of different kinds, usually served with a brown and/or mushroom gravy and whole cooked eggs inside. In the USA meatloaf become popular during the depression, and the cornmeal inside helped stretch the meat along when it was harder to come by.

Meatloaf is best served cold, and on toasted sourdough bread with mayo lettuce, red onion, and dill pickles.

No offense intended, but the UK isn't exactly known for being a hotbed of culinary genius. Lots of overcooked meats and potatoes.

I remember when the Beatles first came to the USA, and in an interview I think one of them commented on how great the food was here compared to England. Which made you think they had been to some great 5 star restaurants or something, when actually they were commenting on food in diners and cafes.

Meatloaf BTW is a dish probably that came from the Romans, so I would think British folks would know about it. In Germany there are meatloaf style dishes of different kinds, usually served with a brown and/or mushroom gravy and whole cooked eggs inside. In the USA meatloaf become popular during the depression, and the cornmeal inside helped stretch the meat along when it was harder to come by.

Meatloaf is best served cold, and on toasted sourdough bread with mayo lettuce, red onion, and dill pickles.

I tend to disagree. I like hot meatloaf once in a blue moon, but cold is terrible. I know meatloaf sandwich is popular, but why it is truly escapes me.

I tend to disagree. I like hot meatloaf once in a blue moon, but cold is terrible. I know meatloaf sandwich is popular, but why it is truly escapes me.
I guess same principal why many people like cold pizza. Probably more about texture.
Like how a next day turkey sandwhich after Thanksgiving may be more enjoyable than the turkey when it was hot. Like turkey, meatloaf isn't al that flavorfull anyway, so adding mayo and other stuff just in my opinion helps.

Reactions: JMR
It exactly a disaster but one year I decided to make Italian three color cookies for Christmas. I really don’t do much baking but figured I’d give it a shot. The almond and pistachio doughs came out fine but the cherry dough was too wet so I scrapped it and decided to make two color cookies. That also went sideways and I decided on Buscotti which came out looking like white and green dog poop. They tasted fine but looks…not so much.

It exactly a disaster but one year I decided to make Italian three color cookies for Christmas. I really don’t do much baking but figured I’d give it a shot. The almond and pistachio doughs came out fine but the cherry dough was too wet so I scrapped it and decided to make two color cookies. That also went sideways and I decided on Buscotti which came out looking like white and green dog poop. They tasted fine but looks…not so much.
They needed a blind tasting. :)

No offense intended, but the UK isn't exactly known for being a hotbed of culinary genius.

No offense taken. Things have largely changed since the 60's and 70's but once that image became international there was no changing it. There are still plenty of terrible restaurants and greasy spoon cafes but we also have a lot of great British chefs really pushing cuisine forwards - and not just cooking interpretations of French food.

Yeah, I did a bit more looking and there's two British equivalents - both eaten cold. One is haslet which doesn't use egg to bind but pork gelatin and the other is scotch egg which is like your German example. Both primarily sold at supermarket delicatessens.

Neither are popular - you never see anyone under the age of 70 buying them or cooking them here anymore.

317_RHF_400_308_s_c1.jpg
Tim-Haywards-scotch-egg-007.jpg

The pictures with the runny egg are usually home made but they're not something you widely hear about being made at home.

No offense taken. Things have largely changed since the 60's and 70's but once that image became international there was no changing it. There are still plenty of terrible restaurants and greasy spoon cafes but we also have a lot of great British chefs really pushing cuisine forwards - and not just cooking interpretations of French food.

Yeah, I did a bit more looking and there's two British equivalents - both eaten cold. One is haslet which doesn't use egg to bind but pork gelatin and the other is scotch egg which is like your German example. Both primarily sold at supermarket delicatessens.

Neither are popular - you never see anyone under the age of 70 buying them or cooking them here anymore.

317_RHF_400_308_s_c1.jpg
Tim-Haywards-scotch-egg-007.jpg

The pictures with the runny egg are usually home made but they're not something you widely hear about being made at home.

A very odd thing just occurred to me, seeing that picture. My grandmother used to eat soft boiled eggs, and just looking at them made me gag. Still does. But.......for fried eggs I love them sunny side up with the yolks as runny as can be. Makes zero sense.

I made a holiday ham with cloves and they overpowered any ham flavoring, terrible.

On the other hand, I used to make a Monte Cristo sandwich with ham, turkey, swiss cheese, mayo, and mustard, dipped in an egg batter and fried.

mc.jpg

I made a holiday ham with cloves and they overpowered any ham flavoring, terrible.

On the other hand, I used to make a Monte Cristo sandwich with ham, turkey, swiss cheese, mayo, and mustard, dipped in an egg batter and fried.

View attachment 67344975

I can't stand cloves. But a ham with pineapple/brown sugar coating is yum.

I can't stand cloves. But a ham with pineapple/brown sugar coating is yum.

I've messed up many a meal but nothing like this in the clip, lol.

View attachment 67344975
I love a Monte Cristo but I'm usually too lazy to make up the batter and do the extra work.

It is said that cream cheese and almost anything is a dip. I found the exception. Don't allow artificial sweeteners anywhere near it. I once tried to then the cream cheese with strawberry yogurt. The strawberry works fine, but the Splenda ruined the whole bowl.

I never had meatloaf in my quarter century in the US, only started making it once I came to Canada. Here's some real life pictures of meatloaves I made:
In my meatloaf I put:

Ground beef and/or pork
Ketchup
Honey Mustard
Worcestershire sauce
egg
Consider using shredded squash instead of bread crumbs or crackers. It works as a binder, but no carbs or fat.

Last edited:
I never had meatloaf in my quarter century in the US, only started making it once I came to Canada. Here's some real life pictures of meatloaves I made:

I

In my meatloaf I put:

Ground beef and/or pork
Ketchup
Honey Mustard
Worcestershire sauce
egg

I like putting cheese in the centre of my meatloaf. Some shredded cheese in the centre then roll it up. Adds some very good flavour if you like cheese

I like putting cheese in the centre of my meatloaf. Some shredded cheese in the centre then roll it up. Adds some very good flavour if you like cheese

I don't really love meat loaf, but I've made it a few times. Onions, hot green chilies, chili sauce instead of ketchup, cheese. Anything to make it palatable.

Once in a Hurry, I was making taco meat, and thought I grabbed the Chile powder, but got Cinnamon, by mistake.
While it can be hot, Cinnamon and ground beef...DO NOT GO TOGETHER!

I make meatloaf with onions, celery carrots, and diced mushroom stems that are sweated and cooled. To this, I add the meat plus egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, plus thyme, salt, and pepper. Ketchup and BBQ sauce go on top halfway through the bake.

It also makes a really good burger but if you put it on the grill them need to be frozen first or they will fall apart when you try to flip them.

I do that sometimes. Make 3 trenches and stuff slices of cheddar in them, then fill them in. Then every piece has cheese in the middle.

I don't really love meat loaf, but I've made it a few times. Onions, hot green chilies, chili sauce instead of ketchup, cheese. Anything to make it palatable.

I use lean ground beef and add lots of spices and sauces, breadcrumbs when mixing it, then put a coat of BBQ sauce on top.

Then bake it for a long time. If done right the top has a good crust, and much of the fat has been removed. Just don’t leave it in the pan for a long time. Overall just a massive meatball

I use lean ground beef and add lots of spices and sauces, breadcrumbs when mixing it, then put a coat of BBQ sauce on top.

Then bake it for a long time. If done right the top has a good crust, and much of the fat has been removed. Just don’t leave it in the pan for a long time. Overall just a massive meatball
I don't care for it too much so I never make it. My mom used to cover the top with strips of bacon, and ketchup was part of the plan also. My mother in law had pickles inside hers, she claimed it was German.

for the love of god, do not use coconut oil instead of canola oil when making brownies unless you REALLY love almond joy candybars

I thought I was making them slightly less unhealthy, but they turned out to be quite a bit less unhealthy because they got thrown away.

Back
Top Bottom