• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Food For Thought On Abortion

Originalism is at least a factor in the Alito draft ruling. He argues that nowhere in the constitution is abortion written and thus it is not a right of pregnant women. But originalism has a problem. In the late 18th Century women were legal chattel and were denied many rights which men of property over the age of 21 years enjoyed. So if one takes an originalist's interpretation of the constitution with respect to women's rights then women are second-class citizens who can be legally abused and who can be denied rights which men enjoy. Thus originalism will deny women the right to own property, the right to vote, the right to run for elected office and the right to work as ls gal professional such as jurists.

Alito thereafter argued because there was no overtly expressed right to abortion explicitly stated in the US constitution that SCOTUS decisions in 1972 and 1992 created a right where no right had existed before in the constitution or in the Bill of Rights. Keep in mind that in the late 17th Century America was a country which had no guaranteed future and only the growth of its population could guarantee its continued existence in the face of British French and Spanish imperial aspirations. Only by growing and arming its population could the USA fend off these threats and expand its dominion in the face of these dangerous rivals. Thus abortion was deemed both a religious and a secular sin and therefore it is no mystery why it was not included in the constitution explicitly. So abortion would endanger the country and the country was more important than women's rights and women's health or even their lives. Many women died in child birth in the late 18th Century. So again originalism is condemning women to a shorter, more hardship-prone and brutalised life because it served the interests of men in power both in the 18th Century and now.

More to come tomorrow.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
May I add this, @Evilroddy? What parent wants their 12 y/o to carry to term a baby conceived from incest? No one. What parent wants their college freshman raped by frat boys during Rush Week to bear a child? What husband wants his wife raped at gun point to bear a child. Parents who desperately want a child find that she has no brain should they allow that baby to suffer a gruesome death? A mother with children at home should carry a child that puts her life is in jeopardy from the pregnancy should carry that pregnancy to term? Every life is precious, especially the mother who is your wife, your daughter, sister, niece, cousin, friend and complete stranger who is forced to carry a baby to term under tragic circumstances. I'd say no one. Not even a radical pro-lifer, legislator or judge. They'll find someone to terminate that pregnancy but will deny others that right.

tshade:

Cysts, cancerous tumors and septic organs all have human DNA in their cells. So do your fingernails, skin flakes and hair when you cut them/clean them off your body. Rarely children are born as chimeras with the DNA of an undeveloped twin present in the cells of parts of their bodies. That doesn't make them two human beings or two persons. Having human DNA does not make a group of cells a human being. Being a potential human being does not make an organism a real person in the eyes of the law. That's just the science buddy and the law as it stands right now.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
a zygote is a human being at an early stage..........the only diff. is growth. All the chromosones /genes are there

I miss him. LOL
I never really got to interact with him. I was worried I’d get on his radar as a newbie. He dropped off maybe a year after I got here…

I never really got to interact with him. I was worried I’d get on his radar as a newbie. He dropped off maybe a year after I got here…

I was expecting some kind of well-reasoned commentary, based on the title.

Glad to see my expectations of this site remain far too optimistic.
Then why are you here?

The left, pro abortion supporters, can only call it a fetus or a clump of cells because anything else is to admit what they are actually advocating. Murder of babies in the womb. Our self serving, self indulgent, no fault liberals, seem to be fine with the roughly 1 million abortions in America a year. Those are human babies being killed. The left worries more about baby seals, trees, and snail darters than human babies.

Got to wonder about the extreme left. Babies aren't human, boys and girls aren't really boys and girls at all, countries have no right to protect their borders and choose who can come into the country to live.

Back
Top Bottom