• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Following

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
In our Profile (About), is there any way to edit the list of members that "Follow" us?

In our Profile (About), is there any way to edit the list of members that "Follow" us?
Maybe if you have them on ignore they won't show up. Otherwise I know of no way to hide just one person. Maybe ask them to unfollow.

I don't follow anyone and I would rather that no one follow me either.

There should be a way to opt out.

Yep, it appears that “follow” under the new DP software differs from “friend” in the previous DP software in that ”following” no longer requires mutual consent like “friending” did.

Yep, it appears that “follow” under the new DP software differs from “friend” in the previous DP software in that ”following” no longer requires mutual consent like “friending” did.

If the above is correct, I much prefer the old 'friend' system . . .

If the above is correct, I much prefer the old 'friend' system . . .

Yes. Under the new xF system it is quite easy to stalk someone using this follow feature.

And most people aren't even aware of this software shortcoming.

Yes. Under the new xF system it is quite easy to stalk someone using this follow feature.

It isn't any easier to stalk someone using follow than just using the search feature.

It isn't any easier to stalk someone using follow than just using the search feature.

True, but the overarching point is that there should be a way to opt out of this featrure.

There doesn't appear to be any. If someone decides to follow you, you're tethered whether you like it or not.

I don't see any advantage to the feature...it literally means nothing that I can tell...

I don't see any advantage to the feature...it literally means nothing that I can tell...
I can see what the people I'm following are liking and commenting on in one convenient place.

I can see what the people I'm following are liking and commenting on in one convenient place.
Oh ok, how do you do that? Click on their nic?

Oh ok, how do you do that? Click on their nic?
If I click on my avatar at the top, and click news feed, it gives me a list of all the activity.

If I click on my avatar at the top, and click news feed, it gives me a list of all the activity.
Ok thanks...

I prefer the old friend feature where mutual consent was needed. If a troll tried to befriend you, you could reject the friendship. Now, you can't get rid of them. But, with xenforo, I don't think there's an option to control the list or opt out.

Haha!

I forgot the thread's title was,

"Following"

So, when it came-up in my 'notifications', I thought you were following me!

How do you find the list of who is following you?

Go to 'Your account' at the top of any page > then 'Account details' > then 'Your profile'

Then click on 'About', which is between 'Awards' and 'Warnings'

'Followers' (if any) will be displayed in this space

I myself have 66 followers listed

Go to 'Your account' at the top of any page > then 'Account details' > then 'Your profile'

Then click on 'About', which is between 'Awards' and 'Warnings'

'Followers' (if any) will be displayed in this space

I myself have 66 followers listed
need 600 more eh?

I prefer the old friend feature where mutual consent was needed. If a troll tried to befriend you, you could reject the friendship. Now, you can't get rid of them. But, with xenforo, I don't think there's an option to control the list or opt out.
IIRC under the old system one had the option of adding the person without sending a friend request.
Now that could be my memory acting up and all.

IIRC under the old system one had the option of adding the person without sending a friend request.
Now that could be my memory acting up and all.
My experience on this and other forums is a request must be sent and accepted or rejected. If you accepting someone who later turned out to be a jerk, you could unfriend them. Now is someone is following you, you're stuck with them, only have one of those in my case. No big deal, but would be nice to have the choice.

My experience on this and other forums is a request must be sent and accepted or rejected. If you accepting someone who later turned out to be a jerk, you could unfriend them. Now is someone is following you, you're stuck with them, only have one of those in my case. No big deal, but would be nice to have the choice.
I agree

Back
Top Bottom