• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Following Big 12 footsteps: Boise State jumps WAC to Mountain West

Gipper

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Well, we're edging closer to having 4 or 5 huge power conferences. Boise State decided to shrug off the crummy Western Athletic Conference and jump into a slightly bigger pool of the Mountain West Conference. With Nebraska and Colorado finding greener pastures, this could finally be the undoing of that awful BCS.

Boise State accepts invitation to join Mountain West - NCAA Football - SI.com

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Boise State on Friday accepted an invitation to join the Mountain West Conference as the two-time Fiesta Bowl winner seeks out a league that's a better launching pad into lucrative bowl games.

Boise State, now with the Western Athletic Conference, would become the Mountain West Conference's 10th member. The move would be effective July 1, 2011.

The announcement is part of a massive conference shuffle nationwide, where leagues like the Pac-10 have lured Colorado and Nebraska seeks membership in the Big Ten.

As Boise State aims to secure a clearer path to Bowl Championship Series games worth millions, Mountain West Conference commissioner Craig Thompson said his league is boosting its strength by adding a football program that's captured the nation's imagination, and prime-time television exposure. The league's main goal is to make a better case to become the seventh college football conference awarded an automatic BCS postseason berth.

"It's my No. 1 goal, and I think I share it with members," Thompson said during a conference call. "We are going to try to challenge, and try to position ourselves as the seventh automatic qualifying conference."

In its two BCS bowl appearances so far, Boise State beat TCU, a Mountain West member, in the Fiesta Bowl in January and it scored an 43-42 overtime upset over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl.

When Pac-10, Big Ten, and SEC expansion is over, the MWC should dump its bottom half and pick up the remains of the Big Twelve. They would be a legit consideration for being a BCS conference then.

What's funny is that it took Boise St. leaving the WAC for the Mountain West to even know what conference they are even in. I don't even care enough to ask what are the other schools in the two conferences.

I'm really wondering what will happen with hoops though. The Big 12 led all conferences last year in RPI, even higher than the ACC and Big East, which are hoops power conferences.

It's been said that the Big 10, in addition to talks with Notre Dame which have been happening on and off for several years, is discussing some things with Rutgers. Missouri may come to the Big 10 as well, and they could easily look into another couple in addition to make it a 16 team conference.

I've also heard that Texas A&M is looking into the SEC, which strikes me as odd. Splitting up Texas and A&M may prove to be bad.

I was hoping the pac 10 would gobble them up. That rivalry between B.S. and U of O is thing of beauty.

I'm really wondering what will happen with hoops though. The Big 12 led all conferences last year in RPI, even higher than the ACC and Big East, which are hoops power conferences.

It's been said that the Big 10, in addition to talks with Notre Dame which have been happening on and off for several years, is discussing some things with Rutgers. Missouri may come to the Big 10 as well, and they could easily look into another couple in addition to make it a 16 team conference.

I've also heard that Texas A&M is looking into the SEC, which strikes me as odd. Splitting up Texas and A&M may prove to be bad.

This whole mad conference scramble seemed to come out of nowhere. Been hearing rumblings for the last couple of weeks but never really took them seriously. (suspected somewhere at the root was just a goal of someone snapping up notre dame) As a Mizzou alumni, it appears our pooch is the one getting screwed the most at this point.

Interesting article in the Tribune this morning. One line appears to explain what is behind everything that is going on:

"But go back to Nebraska. Chancellor Harvey Perlman said a major attraction of the Big Ten was stability "that the Big 12 simply cannot offer."

Not only that, but there's a promise of increased revenue once Nebraska becomes an equal member. The Big 12 paid out about $10 million to Nebraska in 2009, half of what Big Ten schools received."

Big Ten expansion: Nebraska a 'phenomenal fit' - chicagotribune.com

Well, while rather weak in athletics, Mizzou is an AAU member which is important to the Big 10. There are only a few dozen universities nationwide that are in it. However, every Big 10 school is. So is Missouri. That would be the big selling point for our commissioner.

I'm sorry, but the RPI is a suckers stat. The ACC and Big East conferences are much better in basketball then the Big 12 could ever be. I would even be as bold to say that the Pac 10, Big 10 and SEC are even better then the Big 12. Other then Kansas winning in 08 and 88, has the Big 12 even done anything else?

Back
Top Bottom