• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Floridia is allowed

kmhowe72

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I was just watching Shepard Smith. He reported on Fox. That Floridia passed a bill and it went into effect today that allows people to shoot othere people if they are a threat. Thats Chaoitic. I will never move there.

so what should we do
lie down and let criminals rape and murder us?
might want to look more into the law before making a nonsensical post based on a news blurb

We as Americans have a right to bear arms and to defend ourselves

define "threat". Is this just solidifying the self-defense defense or does it actually make it easier to shoot some one and get away with it? (I.E. "I felt he was a threat, so I shot him" and they get off without a big investigation)

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
define "threat". Is this just solidifying the self-defense defense or does it actually make it easier to shoot some one and get away with it? (I.E. "I felt he was a threat, so I shot him" and they get off without a big investigation)

No need to define "threat," the conditions which deadly force are defined in the law.

Here is a copy of it just before Jeb Bush signed it, feel free to discuss any concerns.

http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=hb024902c2.html&Directory=session/2005/House/bills/billtext/html/

my favorite part of this law is
providing that a person is 16justified in using deadly force under certain 17circumstances; declaring that a person has no duty to 18retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and 19meet force with force if the person is in a place where he 20or she has a right to be and the force is necessary to 21prevent death, great bodily harm, or the commission of a 22forcible felony; creating s. 776.032, F.S

millions of Mexicans now in America millions and millions and millions more on their way

roving gangs of Mexicans will rape pillage and beat you silly
the third world slide is underway
all hail Bush
sig hail

Last edited:
kmhowe72 said:
I was just watching Shepard Smith. He reported on Fox. That Floridia passed a bill and it went into effect today that allows people to shoot othere people if they are a threat. Thats Chaoitic. I will never move there.

Wierd coming from a "conservative" news channel eh? He presented it VERY liberal leaning.

DeeJayH said:
my favorite part of this law is
Quote:

providing that a person is 16justified in using deadly force under certain 17circumstances; declaring that a person has no duty to 18retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and 19meet force with force if the person is in a place where he 20or she has a right to be and the force is necessary to 21prevent death, great bodily harm, or the commission of a 22forcible felony; creating s. 776.032, F.S

Yes before if someone broke into your house for instance, and threatened you, you had to try to get away first before you could defend yourself. So you had to try and get away, look for a way out, while the person might be coming at you, and THEN and ONLY then could you defend yourself. Now if you are being threatened you can defend yourself without having to retreat first.

Sounds like common sense to me.

Last edited:
kmhowe72 said:

So you like the original law better which says if someone breaks into your home and threatens you you have to try and retreat, try to get away first and only after all attempts to get away have failed can you then protect yourself and use force, deadly force if necessary?

This reminds me of when Lousisana passed a law that said you could use deadly force if you were being carjacked, seems a lot of car jackings there turned into kidnapping and murder. Soon after the law was passed a criminal was shot and killed in the act of carjacking someone. Guess what happen to the rate of car jackings after that.

Wierd coming from a "conservative" news channel eh? He presented it VERY liberal leaning.

In what way?

Besides I know Fox news is a conservative channel because the only people I know who actually watch it are conservatives! *gasp*

kmhowe72 said:

Well, maybe you'll change your mind when you're older and have to worry about the estate tax. Or perhaps if your ever in a situation where you need to prevent the government from taking your house.

I'm just going through some of the rumors I've heard of economic incentives to move to Florida. All states have their pros and cons.

New Haven is a very anti-gun city, but I hear about shootings and muggings all the time. My friend got mugged the other day by a man with a knife. Not that I let it scare me, but it happens everywhere. Maybe if these criminals were more worried about the self-defense of their victims, they wouldn't be doing what they're doing.

No of corse you shouldn't let criminals rob you or murder you. But there is no controll. what if someone mistakes you as a burglar and then shots you for no reason. Then what. There has got to be control. Can anybody find me a link to this story so I can read more about it.

OdgenTugbyGlub said:

Well if you find yourself in the position of having broken into someone's home without their permission then guess what, THEY get to decide. Or if you try to take someone's car from them, THEY get to decide. And then the courts will review and see if they made the proper decission.

Canuck said:
millions of Mexicans now in America millions and millions and millions more on their way

roving gangs of Mexicans will rape pillage and beat you silly
the third world slide is underway
all hail Bush
sig hail

you better pray it doesnt happen
because O Canada would be next
and i put in another thread it is actually

SEIG HEIL

Hitler would be very offended by you:doh

Quote:

FinnMacCool said:
In what way?

Besides I know Fox news is a conservative channel because the only people I know who actually watch it are conservatives! *gasp*

I think that was meant for someone else.

kmhowe72 said:
. what if someone mistakes you as a burglar and then shots you for no reason. Then what.

Just what in the hell are you doing breaking into somebody elses house, if you are not a burglar?
you deserve to be shot, shot dead LOL

ok let's put it this way. What if someone shots you because they don't like you, and then they say you were being aggressive or use an excuse like that. What if they just meant you , and you had an disagreement about something, and they think your going to do something to them . Does that give them to right to shoot. This is what the law says. If someone comes in contact with you aggressively even if it's just a moment. they got the right to shoot you.

I'm a dem. and I watched it. But your right it was only because I was flipping the channels.

kmhowe72 said:
ok let's put it this way. What if someone shots you because they don't like you, and then they say you were being aggressive or use an excuse like that. What if they just meant you , and you had an disagreement about something, and they think your going to do something to them . Does that give them to right to shoot. This is what the law says. If someone comes in contact with you aggressively even if it's just a moment. they got the right to shoot you.

*shakes head*
where does one start to make sense of it all for him/her
if it wasnt midnight i would try, but i got better things to do, like snooze

kmhowe72 said:
I'm a dem. and I watched it. But your right it was only because I was flipping the channels.

you better say that.
if you admit to being a dem, and are caught watching Fox
i believe the other dems will torture you, by making you get in a naked man pyramid :doh :rofl

kmhowe72 said:
No of corse you shouldn't let criminals rob you or murder you. But there is no controll. what if someone mistakes you as a burglar and then shots you for no reason.

If you were also threatening them then they'd have a reason, and you have to show you had reason to believe you were threatened. But then I guess the best thing, like in every other state, is to not do things that make you look like a burgler. Is that too hard to do?

Then what. There has got to be control.

The control is that people know that if they act like criminals and threaten people they may get shot, so don't engage in those behaviors.

kmhowe72 said:
ok let's put it this way. What if someone shots you because they don't like you, and then they say you were being aggressive or use an excuse like that. .

The shooting will be investigated and if the shooter cannot show that he/she as a reasonable and prudent person had a reasonable fear of injury or dearh for himself or others he/she will be prosecuted.

kmhowe72 said:
What if they just meant you , and you had an disagreement about something, and they think your going to do something to them . Does that give them to right to shoot. This is what the law says. If someone comes in contact with you aggressively even if it's just a moment. they got the right to shoot you.

You didn't read the law, did you, that's not what it says.

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.--A person is justified in using the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a the person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat only if: (1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony;

kmhowe72 said:
If someone comes in contact with you aggressively even if it's just a moment. they got the right to shoot you.

Please cite the exact phrase in the law you are talking about.

DeeJayH said:
*shakes head*
where does one start to make sense of it all for him/her
if it wasnt midnight i would try, but i got better things to do, like snooze

tried to edit but got back too late
not being obnoxious
just saying legal-ese can be difficult to muddle through
what you are reading into it, is not what it is about

Back
Top Bottom