• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida's new restrictive voting laws blocked

It doesn't make it more difficult to vote. People still have the choice to vote in person or request an absentee ballot.
It's an unnecessary change that plainly doesn't make it easier now does it? There's nothing wrong with sending out ballot applications. The actual ballots get checked for legitimacy. Anything that encourages the vote is a good thing. Anything less is un-American and probably un-Constitutional.

They aren't worried about people stealing drop boxes. They are worried about people stuffing drop boxes...hence the increased security measures.
They aren't worried about stuffing drop boxes either because that would easily get found during the counting and validation processes. The anti-tampering measures are also to keep ballots from being taken and thrown away. Reducing the number of drop boxes doesn't make them more secure, it only serves to make it harder to vote.

Please quote the definition. Point out what is "extremely vague" about it.
I did: "engaging in any activity with the intent to influence or effect of influencing a voter."

And that's a bad thing? I don't think so.
On the surface it's not a bad thing, but it depends on who interprets the actions doesn't it? Wouldn't you agree there's a strong potential for abuse by leaving it so open-ended like that?

shrug...their choice. All they have to do is follow the law.
Sure assuming the law is clear and understandable, as opposed vague, open-ended, and up to the mood and political lean of whatever judge they happen to get.

What is bad about this?

What is bad about this?

"can be read"?

This is what the summary says:

Related to no-solicitation zones, the bill:​
  • Conforms the distances for statutory no-solicitation zones.
  • Adds drop box sites to the locations protected by the zones.
  • Expands the definition of “solicitation” and specifies that the definition does not prohibit supervisors’ staff from providing nonpartisan assistance or items to voters within the zone.
Sounds to me like someone doesn't know how to read.
I am just assuming this, but given that you are answering this man's posts but ignoring mine, I guess it means that you decided to dismiss yourself from our conversation, due to your inability to address my posts. I love it. Mycroft, you are a walking disaster relief-need event.

There's no good reason to reduce the duration of ballot request forms. Fraud is not possible with ballot request forms. All this would do is make it more difficult to vote.

There's no good reason to reduce the number of drop boxes. There was no evidence of drop box tampering that I heard of, and they are secured and fastened to prevent tampering anyway. All this would do is make it more difficult to vote.

While it does have that clause which you highlighted, it also expands the definition of "solicitation" to be extremely vague. Maybe this is what the judge didn't like?

"engaging in any activity with the intent to influence or effect of influencing a voter."

Witnesses testified to the court that their organizations had already considered stopping their line warming activities, for fear of how the authorities might interpret the new law and what things they might mistake for "intent to influence" voters.

I still can’t comprehend how mail boxes have been safe and secure for decades but Republicans are shitting all over themselves about drop boxes…

Here is the response to your question, Mycroft:

Here is the explanation of why it is "more difficult for Black voters that have socioeconomic disadvantages" to vote under these new requirements:

Simply stated for you Mycroft. Until you put yourself into the shoes of a socioeconomically disadvantaged Black voter, the White privileges that you have will forever prevent you from understanding what the problems exist for many Black voters. You will never see the problem because you are not a disadvantaged Black voter and have 'no ability mind-wise to put yourself in anyone else's shoes.
I don't understand how these arguments survive in court...

If requiring someone to provide an ID when voting is racist then it's also racist asking for an ID for any other reason.

Why did I actually expect you to not reason even after I was specific in my last post. Could it be that you never put yourself in anyone else shoes?

I was talking about the socio-disadvantaged Black people that you have no identification with but are part of our society. You know, the ones born in poor neighborhoods that did not get much education because the schools they went to did not have good teachers, they were unable to do much because both parents were working to make ends meet or were robbing and looting in order in order to survive or their parents were in jail. The ones that had lower IQ because of all of that. The people that grew up in a racist community where they did not have the same opportunities that you and I had? The people that had it extremely hard just trying to stay alive. Did you (or others like you) have that kind of a childhood? No, of course not. You were one of those White people that had it mostly given to you as a child.

I am not talking about the Blacks that were able to grow up like you and I did. I am talking about the "great amount" of Blacks that were disadvantaged at a young age or the ones that grew up being the ostracized people that went through all of that when young and are now older and still suffering the consequences.

They do exist and in large numbers, you didn't know Mycroft? Do you believe those people should not have a voice in what happens in their life? No, of course not because if they had a voice, you would need to give a bit more of yourself for their benefit and that is the last thing you want to do................give anything.

How could you know about this? you never leave the fantasy world you live in. Never visit the real world in order to get informed. This is why all of your comments are misinformed and degrading. Anyone not like you and thinking as you do, has to be bs'ing. That is why you dismiss everyone that doesn't think like you and calls you out on it.

Keep on living in your world, just doesn't expect anyone in the real world to pay any attention to you. I hope the puppets in your world are enough to keep you company.

View attachment 67383539
I think there is a good argument to be made for excluding those people from the voting process. They don't sound like people with the best judgement for picking leaders.

I don't understand how these arguments survive in court...

If requiring someone to provide an ID when voting is racist then it's also racist asking for an ID for any other reason.
I fully understand what you are saying and it does make sense for people like you and I to have a valid ID ready to prove who we are. Nonetheless, neither you not I have been in a situation where getting and ID is difficult, like it is for many underprivileged poor and Black people.

Up until now, what was being done in those cases was working well. There had been no substantial voter fraud because of it. Elections had all been without substantial voter fraud before.

What the Republicans are now demanding is that those people that had always had problems getting an ID now have to get one. To you and I, it makes sense to do that but the reality is that is does give the Republicans an edge now that they didn't have before and should not have (given that those underprivileged people have as much right to vote as we do).

Those people now have to do something they never needed to do before and it is going to be difficult for them and in many cases, the problems in getting those ID's are going to be more of a problem "for them" than their desire or ability to vote.

Given that there has never been a problem before, getting these requirements now changed will give the Republicans an "unfair" advantage.

If you have problem understanding why this is such a big problem for them, why don't you personally go and talk to a few of them, so they can explain it better than I can. You can get it straight from the "horse's mouth" instead of relying on the rider of the horse to explain it to you. The rider will not be representing the horse, he will be representing what favors him. That is what the Republicans are doing.

Getting these previous rules changed is fine, but not now. They should be changed when the problems of education, need and poorness, and all the things that cause these problems now are resolved. Changing them now, is simply a ploy by the Republicans to help them in the elections, which right now they need because of all the wrongs the Republicans have been doing.

I think there is a good argument to be made for excluding those people from the voting process. They don't sound like people with the best judgement for picking leaders.
Well, if the ability to choose leaders is the requirement, then all those that voted for Trump in 2020 (about 70 million) should be excluded from all future elections. They showed a complete inability to chose a leader. Trump clearly showed from 2016-2020 that he is not a leader.

By the way, I am serious about this. I am not joking. Those poor and socio disadvantaged people that voted, showed more intelligence and knowledge about voting for a leader than any Trumper showed.

Last edited:
I fully understand what you are saying and it does make sense for people like you and I to have a valid ID ready to prove who we are. Nonetheless, neither you not I have been in a situation where getting and ID is difficult, like it is for many underprivileged poor and Black people.

Up until now, what was being done in those cases was working well. There had been no substantial voter fraud because of it. Elections had all been without substantial voter fraud before.

What the Republicans are now demanding is that those people that had always had problems getting an ID now have to get one. To you and I, it makes sense to do that but the reality is that is does give the Republicans an edge now that they didn't have before and should not have (given that those underprivileged people have as much right to vote as we do).

Those people now have to do something they never needed to do before and it is going to be difficult for them and in many cases, the problems in getting those ID's are going to be more of a problem "for them" than their desire or ability to vote.

Given that there has never been a problem before, getting these requirements now changed will give the Republicans an "unfair" advantage.

If you have problem understanding why this is such a big problem for them, why don't you personally go and talk to a few of them, so they can explain it better than I can. You can get it straight from the "horse's mouth" instead of relying on the rider of the horse to explain it to you. The rider will not be representing the horse, he will be representing what favors him. That is what the Republicans are doing.

Getting these previous rules changed is fine, but not now. They should be changed when the problems of education, need and poorness, and all the things that cause these problems now are resolved. Changing them now, is simply a ploy by the Republicans to help them in the elections, which right now they need because of all the wrongs the Republicans have been doing.
If the argument is that we should not change the law because it gives one side an advantage that it did not have before than mail in ballot laws should also not be changed because they give democrats an advantage that they didn't have before.

Well, if the ability to choose leaders is the requirement, then all those that voted for Trump in 2020 (about 70 million) should be excluded from all future elections. They showed a complete inability to chose a leader. Trump clearly showed from 2016-2020 that he is not a leader.

By the way, I am serious about this. I am not joking. Those poor and socio disadvantaged people that voted, showed more intelligence and knowledge about voting for a leader than any Trumper showed.
I take personal offense to your remark. I did vote for Trump and depending on the choices would vote for him again. I am not a stupid person. Despite all the hyperbole for and against him, overall he was a decent president.

I often check which nominated a judge for a good or bad ruling. Yup, good ruling, Obama nominated this judge.

Well, I looked over the summary of that Florida law...Senate Bill 90...and I can't find anything that looks like it suppresses anyone's right to vote or does anything the article reports the judge saying it does.

Maybe someone else can look at the summary and tell me what's bad about the law.

Anyway, I expect this will be appealed and that judge's ruling flushed down the toilet where it belongs. The only bad thing is that this probably won't happen before the next election, which means this one ****ed up judge is single-handedly enabling election fraud in the state of Florida.
😄 You threw any credibility you may have had into the shitter when you joined the Big Lie club.

If the argument is that we should not change the law because it gives one side an advantage that it did not have before than mail in ballot laws should also not be changed because they give democrats an advantage that they didn't have before.
Except that history does not favor you saying that the Democrats had an advantage before, given that in the last 100 years, there have been 15 Republican presidents and only 10 Democrat presidents, meaning that the Democrats did not have any advantage in the voting.

Except that history does not favor you saying that the Democrats had an advantage before, given that in the last 100 years, there have been 15 Republican presidents and only 10 Democrat presidents, meaning that the Democrats did not have any advantage in the voting.
Im only referring to mail in ballots.

I think there is a good argument to be made for excluding you from the voting process. You don’t sound like someone with the best judgement for picking leaders.

The Democrats have not had any advantage. The election process continues to be all about the majority of votes and majority in the electoral college. Maintaining the election process as it has been will not give the Democrats any advantage as it is the same as before, when more Republican presidents won than Democratic presidents.

The Democrats are not the ones that are submitting new rules. It is the Republicans that are submitting new rules. As such, it is the Republicans that want to "change" the election process, which does not need a change. As such, they are the ones looking for an advantage. The Democrats don't need an advantage, especially when the Republicans are offering such bad candidates such as Trump. Common sense people will not vote for such a disaster to occur (Trump is a disaster). They do not need an advantage, they just need the public to keep their eyes open. No help at the voting booths is needed. The Republicans do need help at the voting booth. How else can they have a chance of a disaster being elected?

Well, I looked over the summary of that Florida law...Senate Bill 90...and I can't find anything that looks like it suppresses anyone's right to vote or does anything the article reports the judge saying it does.

Maybe someone else can look at the summary and tell me what's bad about the law.

Anyway, I expect this will be appealed and that judge's ruling flushed down the toilet where it belongs. The only bad thing is that this probably won't happen before the next election, which means this one ****ed up judge is single-handedly enabling election fraud in the state of Florida.

The bolded is why the judge is a judge, and you're not! ;)

Reference:

Dunning-Kruger Effect

Mail in ballots go all the way back to 1896, meaning that they apply to all the presidents elected in the past 100 years

Your changing your argument. You said voter ID laws (which have been around forever too) were unacceptable because they unfairly favored Republicans.

I'm pointing out that mail in ballots favor Democrats and by your own logic should disqualify expanding those laws.

You seem to want thing both ways depending on what favors your position in the moment.

The Democrats have not had any advantage. The election process continues to be all about the majority of votes and majority in the electoral college. Maintaining the election process as it has been will not give the Democrats any advantage as it is the same as before, when more Republican presidents won than Democratic presidents.

The Democrats are not the ones that are submitting new rules. It is the Republicans that are submitting new rules. As such, it is the Republicans that want to "change" the election process, which does not need a change. As such, they are the ones looking for an advantage. The Democrats don't need an advantage, especially when the Republicans are offering such bad candidates such as Trump. Common sense people will not vote for such a disaster to occur (Trump is a disaster). They do not need an advantage, they just need the public to keep their eyes open. No help at the voting booths is needed. The Republicans do need help at the voting booth. How else can they have a chance of a disaster being elected?
The Democrats most certainly are demanding new rules. They are expanding when the polls are open by days and they opening up mail in ballot citing to everyone. Those are new rules and surprise surprise those changes favor Democrats.

Back
Top Bottom