• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Zika cases prompt travel warnings

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - With 10 new locally transmitted cases of Zika virus coming out of Miami-Dade County on Monday, officials are warning women who frequent that area to get tested. They also say women who are pregnant or looking to conceive should avoid traveling to Zika-infected areas.

Florida has a new State bird...... The mosquito.

But, seriously, I have a message for Congress. This is for both parties. You guys had a chance to pass some emergency legislation to help Florida out during their crisis. Instead, you chose to play freakin' games. It is no freakin' wonder that your approval rating is 60 points under water. YOU SUCK, AND AMERICA KNOWS IT!! My personal feeling is that, when you go into a voting booth, you should be voting Republican against Democratic incumbents, and voting Democratic against Republican incumbents. But you won't. Why? BECAUSE YOU SUCK, BUT UNFORTUNATELY, ONLY THE OPPOSITION KNOWS IT.... Or you just might know it too, and you just don't give a damn.

Thank you, and **** all of you!! :mrgreen: Want to make America great again? Don't be a ****ing partisan douche bag. Critical thinking, it's food for the mind.

Article is here

Last edited:
What realistically could have been done to prevent Zika from getting into the United States?

But, seriously, I have a message for Congress. This is for both parties. You guys had a chance to pass some emergency legislation to help Florida out during their crisis. Instead, you chose to play freakin' games. It is no freakin' wonder that your approval rating is 60 points under water. YOU SUCK, AND AMERICA KNOWS IT!! My personal feeling is that, when you go into a voting booth, you should be voting Republican against Democratic incumbents, and voting Democratic against Republican incumbents. But you won't. Why? BECAUSE YOU SUCK, BUT UNFORTUNATELY, ONLY THE OPPOSITION KNOWS IT.... Or you just might know it too, and you just don't give a damn.

Thank you, and **** all of you!! :mrgreen: Want to make America great again? Don't be a ****ing partisan douche bag. Critical thinking, it's food for the mind.

Article is here

And what exactly do you think congress could have done?

All the more reason for people to avoid that festering pit of a state.

And what exactly do you think congress could have done?

There was a bill to provide funding to Florida to combat the Zika threat. This was on the table months ago. Democrats and Republicans chose to play games with the bill, and it never passed. While Zika is now beginning to ravage Florida, Congress is on ****ing vacation.

There was a bill to provide funding to Florida to combat the Zika threat. This was on the table months ago. Democrats and Republicans chose to play games, with the bill, and it never passed.

What would the bill actually do to prevent the spread of this? Lots of bills get passed just to waste money on things that wouldn't help a single bit.

Too bad they can't take that $20M from the VA's art-buying bonanza and put that towards Zika research.

What would the bill actually do to prevent the spread of this? Lots of bills get passed just to waste money on things that wouldn't help a single bit.

Sure, let's not give Florida any money to deal with this situation. Let babies be born deformed, or maybe die before birth. Florida will probably misspend the money anyways, so screw them.

Jeez, I thought you were pro life, but your actions do not seem to confirm that.

Don't be a jerk. Look one post up from you for my response. That's not that hard to do.

It was posted at the same minute that you responded, I didn't see it. Sorry bud.

Sure, let's not give Florida any money to deal with this situation. Let babies be born deformed, or maybe die before birth. Florida will probably misspend the money anyways, so screw them.

Jeez, I thought you were pro life, but your actions do not seem to confirm that.

Pro life? I am pro choice if that's what you're talking about. I was simply asking what was in the bill that could've actually helped. Unless they can annihilate the mosquitoes as well as people spreading through it from sex, I don't see what good it would do.

Article is here
Why is it whenever news starts with "In Florida ...", it's so often something not good?

I don't know. Something bad's always goin' down in Flo-rida.
There's even an "A man in Florida ..." thread around here, somewhere.

It's to keep track of the crazy stuff coming out of Florida, and the posts are supposed to have "a man in Florida" somewhere in the headline or body of the article posted! :lamo

It was posted at the same minute that you responded, I didn't see it. Sorry bud.

No problem. My bad for jumping to conclusions before you had a chance to correct the record.

There was a bill to provide funding to Florida to combat the Zika threat. This was on the table months ago. Democrats and Republicans chose to play games with the bill, and it never passed. While Zika is now beginning to ravage Florida, Congress is on ****ing vacation.

So just toss money at it?

This will spread fast. Guess the golf as a sport is going to die in the US, since most big golf courses are in areas that the zika mosquito can thrive..

Just not afraid of zika. The number of Brazilian cases are dropping, the actual danger of zika is isolated to pregnant women but the link between zika and microcephaly are not solid, the virus itself is quite benign and the symptoms mild, once you actually get the virus you will most likely have lifetime immunity going forward... sorry, I don't get why I should be so terribly afraid of zika.

At some level, it will take money in order to combat the problem. Not much is ever actually solved for free. While there are cases where funding was wasted, it's not to say that funding is not necessary. There was a real problem that could have been cut off a lot sooner had the Republocrats not been playing their games, and yes it would require some level of funding to get the people and resources there to help combat the spread of the virus. But instead, games were played, and now the situation is worse (bad enough that travel warnings were issued) than it was and will now require MORE money than before to solve.

And guess who gets to pay that MORE money.

Yes, if you throw wadded up dollar bills at mosquitoes, they die.

Shut down the strip clubs for a month, and Voila!

Article is here

What about the billions we already gave FEMA, the CDC, and other federal agencies? This isnt a funding problem. The federal govt has the money and power already to fight Zika if they choose to do so. Someone go ask Obama, who is in charge of all of those agencies, where the money went. Heck, my state of Florida has plenty of money to fight this themselves. Healthcare gets 27 billion. Move a billion over to mosquito control.

Instead my fricking governor cries emergency to the federal govt any time there is algea in the water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom