• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida taxpayers could face a $1 billion Disney debt bomb if its special district status is revoked

But who is paying to keep it running and where are the employees coming from?

When faced with "Gosh, we sure would like to stay open, but economically we cannot afford to do so if you are going to charge us that much for water. Unless we can reach an agreement on what we consider to be an acceptable rate for the water, we will simply have to shut down and lay off those 60,000 people. Fortunately they are all fully paid up on their unemployment insurance so they should have sufficient money to survive on while they are looking for new jobs. Oh, by the way, their next payday is the Friday after this and we will be issuing them their two weeks notice of layoff then - UNLESS we have an agreement actually drafted and signed before then." the state government has to make some pretty tough decisions pretty fast.

This is what is known as "hardball negotiation".
Yep, and not only that, Disney might say 'We don't have the resources to keep Disney world open on the conditolns you are giving us. Just think how much tourist dollars disappear if they close disney world down?

2.33 we know of in an organization that has been completely " SELF-GOVERNED " for the last 50 years .
Fox looking after the henhouse style.
Are you at all aware of the Catholic Church's looking out for child sex crimes as they also "SELF_GOVERNED" themselves for decades ?
How did that SELF-GOVERNING work out for the children , in your opinion ?
Please recalculate your numbers of children violated using the actual applicable template of a completely SELF-GOVERNING extremely wealthy and powerful organization with unlimited cover-up, pay off, sweep under rug capabilities ?
Your new Catholic Church modeled numbers should be very interesting .

Disney self-government in peril after Florida House vote​

By ANTHONY IZAGUIRREApril 21, 2022

Director of Disney Film About Troubled Teen Is Registered Sex Offender​

JOHN HORNOctober 24, 1995

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The director of ``Powder,″ a new Walt Disney film about a troubled teen-ager, is a convicted child molester who once videotaped himself having oral sex with a 12-year-old actor.
As usual, a regurgitation of irrationality, fear, and hatred.

PS - Please discuss the defects of the RCC Inc. with EMS of Seattle - he is more than willing to tell you that it never did anything other than what God told it to do.

No it is not. No one is concerned Disney will go out of business form this.
Oh, part of Disney world though is the image. If they can't keep the pristine condition of the property up , and close it down until that is determined, that would be 100M toursts less a year.

Yep, and not only that, Disney might say 'We don't have the resources to keep Disney world open on the conditolns you are giving us. Just think how much tourist dollars disappear if they close disney world down?
RW idiots who only think about Owning The Libs don't think far enough ahead for any of this to come into their minds.

If it serves others, that is where it gets messy. If Disney up and leaves than the water treatment plant would need to be taken up by the counties it resides in (since Reedy will be dissolved)
If it is the 50 or so people, they could be required to have septic systems installed, likely a much cheaper option (say $20k/EA)
If Disney up and leaves? Looks like you are speculating on this happening as a result of the DeSantis removal of the special district.

If Disney up and leaves? Looks like you are speculating on this happening as a result of the DeSantis removal of the special district.
Of course I am speculating as are we all.
If it is in the best interest of Disney to stay, then they stay. If not, they leave.
It just sounds silly that Disney (a multi-billion dollar corp) didn't have more stability then they did regarding the agreement

As usual, a regurgitation of irrationality, fear, and hatred.

PS - Please discuss the defects of the RCC Inc. with EMS of Seattle - he is more than willing to tell you that it never did anything other than what God told it to do.
No new recalculated "SELF-GOVERNED" child sex crime numbers ?
You used to be so good at giving numbers.
What happened ?

2.33 we know of in an organization that has been completely " SELF-GOVERNED " for the last 50 years .
Are you at all aware of the Catholic Church's looking out for child sex crimes as they also "SELF_GOVERNED" themselves for decades ?
Please recalculate your numbers of children violated using the actual applicable template of a completely SELF-GOVERNING extremely wealthy and powerful organization with unlimited cover-up, pay off, sweep under rug capabilities ?

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The director of ``Powder,″ a new Walt Disney film about a troubled teen-ager, is a convicted child molester who once videotaped himself having oral sex with a 12-year-old actor.

RW idiots who only think about Owning The Libs don't think far enough ahead for any of this to come into their minds.
Personally , I think that they gave sufficent time frame to let them recertify, and this was just a poliitical stunt to try to control Disney's freedom of speech until after the elections later this year.

I suspect that the county's, which were just barely blue before , might be turning a little blue for 2022 when faced with 1 billion in debt, and the potential of having their taxes raised by 1500 a year.

Assuming that you are correct, and I am quite willing to take no issue with that point, the courts are very likely to find in favor of the RCDI when it sues the state of Florida for a breach of contract AND to strike down the law dissolving the RCDI for "failure to comply with statutory requirements".
It would appear that Disney may have some pretty good attorneys.

In an article for Bloomberg Tax, Jacob Schumer of the firm of Shepard, Smith, Kohlmyer & Hand pointed out the “contractual impossibility of unwinding” RCID.

RCID is structured to operate in many ways like a local government entity, and like many cities and counties across the country it borrows money for ongoing infrastructure development by issuing bonds. This type of debt is usually viewed as very secure by the lenders due to the real property that secures it and the transparency of the district’s governing rules and financial records, meaning RCID can borrow money in this way with a low interest rate.

Further adding to the stability of RCID’s bonds is a pledge the state of Florida made within the 1967 statute that created the district and granted RCID its powers, including issuing bonds. As Schumer wrote:
In authorizing Reedy Creek to issue bonds, the Florida legislature included a remarkable statement—included in Reedy Creek’s bond offerings—regarding its own promise to bondholders: “The State of Florida pledges to the holders of any bonds issued under this Act that it will not limit or alter the rights of the District to own, acquire, construct, reconstruct, improve, maintain, operate or furnish the projects or to levy and collect the taxes, assessments, rentals, rates, fees, tolls, fares and other charges provided for herein … until all such bonds together with interest thereon, and all costs and expenses in connection with any action or proceeding by or on behalf of such holders, are fully met and discharged.”

…In case it was not obvious, dissolving Reedy Creek “limited” and “altered” its ability to improve and maintain its project and collect its various charges and taxes, and thus Florida would be violating its pledge to bondholders by dissolving Reedy Creek. However, even without that explicit language, the bill dissolving Reedy Creek would have problems under contracts clauses of the Florida and U.S. constitutions.

Tell me the cost per acre of land in Florida in 1960 and the cost per acre of undeveloped land anywhere in Colorado in 2023

Even if the state eminent domains the land for a Walt Disney Colorado park the cost will still be far in excess for Disney.

Even with these tax privileges gone in Florida.

And that’s before a single shovel breaks dirt in Colorado. I’m not even counting the time and cost in court battles and political fights in Colorado that will erupt over the deal in addition to Colorado having different labor mandates, environmental rules, etc. plus the fact all the infrastructure to facilitate rapid travel to anywhere undeveloped in Colorado doesn’t exist.

Maybe they’ll do it though. But it won’t be cheap and easy
Interesting thought, but you can have Colorado pretty cheap if you are talking Eastern Colorado. That said, Disney will not move, but don't expect them to expand in Florida, either.

Disney would have an interesting lawsuit against the State of Florida as this we largely using the power of government to stiffle political speech. The SCOTUS has already held in Citizen's United the "corporations are people too"

of course, that claim would be in addition to this one, which reflects the piss-poor planning behind this emotional piece of legislation:

They have incredible attorneys. One used to be a regular poster on this board. Picking a fight with Disney is a fool's errand. DeSantis is fundamentally a fool.

Last edited:
Interesting thought, but you can have Colorado pretty cheap if you are talking Eastern Colorado. That said, Disney will not move, but don't expect them to expand in Florida, either.

Disney would have an interesting lawsuit against the State of Florida as this we largely using the power of government to stiffle political speech. The SCOTUS has already held in Citizen's United the "corporations are people too"

of course, that claim would be in addition to this one, which reflects the piss-poor planning behind this emotional piece of legislation:

They have incredible attorneys. One used to be a regular poster on this board. Picking a fight with Disney is a fool's errand. DeSantis is fundamentally a fool.
Incredible. I like that word. I'm surrounded by a family of Brits, so forgive my understatement. :)

That doesn't sound like stability to me. That sounds like reliance on the good graces of a State.

LOL Seriously? Do you know what central FL was like before Disney? Ranchland and swamps. I know, I had relatives in Kissimmee and had been going there since 1968. Have you seen the rest of FL? North FL and S FL above Miami? Lots of mostly cheap suburbs and agriculture. And nothing.

The state gets a significant amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$ from property, business, sales, and other taxes from central FL which is now wall-to-wall tourism or businesses directly or indirectly supporting and supported by tourism.

Previously posted:

The entire state, esp. central FL, is going to suffer if Disney suffers economically. If you've ever been to the Orlando area, it basically revolves around Disney and the tourism industry. Disney is the crown jewel and employs huge numbers of people. So do all the other thousands of tourist attractions. AND all the motels, hotels, fast food joints, restaurants, transportation shuttles (they're everywhere), car rentals, & ubers, outlet malls, souvenir shops, etc. But Disney is what gets them to central FL. DeSantis is stupid, short-sighted, and petty.
--and--

I'm sorry that you (not current posters) cant connect the dots between regulatory status' economic advantages and the way less income/profit affects employee numbers and pay. And the way that filters in to taxes and infrastructure and surrounding community businesses and employment and consumer spending.​

LOL Seriously? Do you know what central FL was like before Disney? Ranchland and swamps. I know, I had relatives in Kissimmee and had been going there since 1968. Have you seen the rest of FL? North FL and S FL above Miami? Lots of mostly cheap suburbs and agriculture. And nothing.

The state gets a significant amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$ from property, business, sales, and other taxes from central FL which is now wall-to-wall tourism or businesses directly or indirectly supporting and supported by tourism.

Previously posted:

The entire state, esp. central FL, is going to suffer if Disney suffers economically. If you've ever been to the Orlando area, it basically revolves around Disney and the tourism industry. Disney is the crown jewel and employs huge numbers of people. So do all the other thousands of tourist attractions. AND all the motels, hotels, fast food joints, restaurants, transportation shuttles (they're everywhere), car rentals, & ubers, outlet malls, souvenir shops, etc. But Disney is what gets them to central FL. DeSantis is stupid, short-sighted, and petty.
--and--

I'm sorry that you (not current posters) cant connect the dots between regulatory status' economic advantages and the way less income/profit affects employee numbers and pay. And the way that filters in to taxes and infrastructure and surrounding community businesses and employment and consumer spending.​
I don't know what any of that has to do with the post you quoted?
The "stability" being referred to was the stability of the Disney/Reedy Creek and State of Florida deal/contract/special district agreement.

No new recalculated "SELF-GOVERNED" child sex crime numbers ?
You used to be so good at giving numbers.
What happened ?

Since none of my training was in the psychiatric field, any comment that I might make on that post would be outside my primary fields of expertise.

One wonders who has the WORST lawyers, Mr. DeSantis or Mr. Trump.

Disney is unlikely to leave, though if they did, then the area would be left with The Holy Land Experience for entertainment and the region would probably resort to meth production to fuel the economy.

One wonders who has the WORST lawyers, Mr. DeSantis or Mr. Trump.
I saw an article that said each item in the bill was only about a paragraph long and did not have anything about consequences of this action. Shows that they are all about vindictive governing and not about doing what's best for their citizens.
But then again the citizens elected these idiots, so ****em.

Incredible. I like that word. I'm surrounded by a family of Brits, so forgive my understatement. :)
The French "Ca c'est incroyable!" (properly pronounced) -which is roughly equivalent to "That's CAT-6 dumb." ["CAT-6 Dumb" – “God-like Dumb” {i.e. “So stupid that only God in a drunken stupor could have even conceived of the concept of what was done.”}] - does a much finer job of describing Mr. DeSantis' actions.

I don't know what any of that has to do with the post you quoted?
The "stability" being referred to was the stability of the Disney/Reedy Creek and State of Florida deal/contract/special district agreement.

Ah OK, can you expand on what you mean by 'stability' in that context?

I of course, was referring to consequences affecting the stability of the state itself, esp central FL. And how residents would be affected.

Ah OK, can you expand on what you mean by 'stability' in that context?

I of course, was referring to consequences affecting the stability of the state itself, esp central FL. And how residents would be affected.
I was referring to the stability of Disney to have a contractual relationship with the State, so that this rug didn't get pulled on a whim. If it ends up not affecting Disney at all, I will look back and say they had a good deal I guess.

I was referring to the stability of Disney to have a contractual relationship with the State, so that this rug didn't get pulled on a whim. If it ends up not affecting Disney at all, I will look back and say they had a good deal I guess.

It appears that there is language in the contract to protect Disney from that, from the information being published

I didnt say it wouldnt affect Disney at all if it was rescinded...my post was about the downstream consequences possible if it was.

Back
Top Bottom