• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Sheriff: "We Prefer" Homeowners Shoot Burglars To "Save Taxpayer Money"

You cannot or do not want to see the thread title? If you need additional commentary, feel free to post actual quotes of what he said so I can bash him too!
You cannot or do not want to read the article in the OP? Why are you here at all?

You cannot or do not want to read the article in the OP? Why are you here at all?
You quoted me, not the other way around. I figured you needed a reference to what you were responding to. If you don't care that what you said was wrong, why would I care that what you said was wrong?

You quoted me, not the other way around. I figured you needed a reference to what you were responding to. If you don't care that what you said was wrong, why would I care that what you said was wrong?
There's an article in the OP with the actual quote people are criticizing. You're confused because you never read it.

There's an article in the OP with the actual quote people are criticizing. You're confused because you never read it.
Correct, I didn't read it because my comment was solely on the thread title quotes.
To which you responded ....

Not sure why anyone has a problem with this. If someone illegally breaks into your home with unknown intent, and doesn't immediately run/surrender when confronted, shooting them is lawful and reasonable. There's no way to know what they might do to you or your family if not stopped.

Obviously, you ID your target before firing. That's basic.

When an intruder comes into my Florida home at 3am to steal or do my family harm, I fix him breakfast, he ties my family up, beats me up and steals my television. Everything is cool. I don't want to hurt him. He is the victim. He had a tougher life then I did. Is this what a lefty would do? Lefty won't call the police since they want to defund police.

I like the fact the sheriff recommended training. I encourage all new gun owners to take a basic firearm class to include live fire training. Know your gun and know how to use it safely.

the good sheriff? ok, so what was your position on those 2 inbred nutcases that shot Amaud Arbery? How about those three here in South Carolina that just shot up a family of 5 in their car?
Really? You going to relate two different set of circumstances as the same?

I know two people, one a very close friend, who almost shot their wife, or their son, because they thought that someone was breaking into their homes. Thankfully, they realized who they were aiming at before they pulled the trigger. The mother got rid of her gun after that. Don't think it won't happen if people take literally what this sheriff said.
What is the percentage of someone thinking it was a break in and shooting an incident person?
What is the percentage of home invasions?

in Florida you don't have to be a home invasion victim for force to be used. Like I said, when someone shoots their kid sneaking in after curfew, then what?
That happens all the time here in Florida. You have the many links showing a trend?

Home defense firearm tip:

A 12 guage shotgun is a much better choice. It won't penetrate walls and kill your innocent neighbors.

That happens all the time here in Florida. You have the many links showing a trend?

and there were more..I think this kind of gets the point across that it happens pretty often.

Correct, I didn't read it because my comment was solely on the thread title quotes.
To which you responded ....
Thank you for finally admitting it.

This is why you're confused. The proof you seek is in the article in the OP. He said exactly what the thread title implies. Hope this helps!

They definitely know their audience and know that you guys would get all worked up about this. Bunch of old , right wingers are now fantasizing about shooting intruders.

The lawsuits that will spring from this. **** me. :rolleyes:

That’s not what he meant. He is just reminding citizens if an intruder breaks into your home you are within your legal right to take the top of their head off.

Bullshit. He was encouraging it to make his job easier.

I saw the video. Twice.

Thank you for finally admitting it.

This is why you're confused. The proof you seek is in the article in the OP. He said exactly what the thread title implies. Hope this helps!
I wasn't asking for proof, merely commenting on the threat title quotes ... Which you quoted to respond to me.
But yes, If I want further inspection about the quotes then I may go read the article.

Bullshit. He was encouraging it to make his job easier.

I saw the video. Twice.
Even if he was encouraging it, what difference does that make?
If people are dying en masse because they are breaking into people's homes, maybe it will slow or stop break ins?

He was encouraging it, and do I have to explain to you why preferring the death of human beings might be frowned upon?

and there were more..I think this kind of gets the point across that it happens pretty often.
I didn't know OH, TN, PA, IN and NV were in Florida.
There was one link to FL.
Out of 320 million 7 is pretty often? You provided 6 examples all in the same year? Nope, dating back to 2014. That's pretty often?
Let me give you an example of pretty often, drugs coming across the border and killing 100K every year. That's pretty often.
Black on black crime in blue run cities killing over 10K a year. That's pretty often.

He was encouraging it, and do I have to explain to you why preferring the death of human beings might be frowned upon?
I prefer not to shoot anyone breaking into my house. I would much prefer the onus of that situation be placed upon the person breaking in though.
As with most things related to crime, if the crime doesn't happen, then nothing AFTER the crime happens either.

If people are dying en masse because they are breaking into people's homes, maybe it will slow or stop break ins?

Clearly you haven't read any of the articles posted in this thread about mistaken identity. Dads shooting daughters, etc?

But hey. If you wanna encourage people to act like it's the wild wild west, while Wyatt Earp sits around drinking rye whiskey and letting y'all do his ****ing job, go on.

Just have a good lawyer on retainer, in case you shoot the Uber driver or something stupid.

I had a home intruder on twilight evening. He was white, doped, and unarmed as we met in my living room. He had just tried to kick in the downstairs door with no luck, ran upstairs and kicked in my door on the deck. We met 10' apart in front of the fireplace. He was bent over breathing hard, arms swinging side to side. In the split seconds this is occurring I hold him at gun point. Again, he is unarmed as far as I can see. I said don't move, he made a move as I released 2 rounds over his head as he runs from my house. You'll never forget the sound of a double tap inside your living room.... cases flying off the china cabinet glass....

I saved his life that night when I was dead right within my rights to drop him dead on the spot. All nice and tidy. But I learned that evening I couldn't shoot an unarmed man. Even one who clearly would have got the best of me had he got a hold of me.

But as someone pointed out, and i never thought about. What if as a result of me saving the thugs life that night he only went out and eventually hurts someone else? I could of prevented that. But my training won the day that night.

I doubt if there is a next time the intruder fares as well.

Back
Top Bottom