• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida sheriff urges homeowners to shoot intruders and ‘save taxpayers money’

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

A plainspoken Florida sheriff has gone viral for encouraging homeowners to shoot intruders — and potentially save tax dollars in the process.

Santa Rosa Sheriff Bob Johnson made the remarks after an unidentified Sunshine Stater fired at a burglar with at least 17 arrests on his record last week.

Johnson declared that the property owner shouldn’t be afraid to come forward because they had done nothing wrong.
=======================================
This FL sheriff wants you to shoot intruders.

A plainspoken Florida sheriff has gone viral for encouraging homeowners to shoot intruders — and potentially save tax dollars in the process.

Santa Rosa Sheriff Bob Johnson made the remarks after an unidentified Sunshine Stater fired at a burglar with at least 17 arrests on his record last week.

Johnson declared that the property owner shouldn’t be afraid to come forward because they had done nothing wrong.

People have the right to defend themselves and their property. Criminals should commit crimes at their own risk.

People have the right to defend themselves and their property. Criminals should commit crimes at their own risk.
Exactly. It's up to each person to secure their person and property and to stop the criminals as the criminal raids the person's home - - many times the police or the sheriff cannot get there in time to do this - esp. in rural areas.

The police and sheriff come long after the invasion has taken place, and they are called after the fact to file the reports and interview witnesses.

Each homeowner needs to be prepared for a home invasion, and the intruders need to understand their life could potentially be at risk if they choose to invade people's homes. It's an awkward way to send the message, but Sheriff Bob Johnson definitely sent it.

All Castle Doctrine states authorize the use of deadly force to repel invaders. Florida IS a Castle Doctrine state.

ccw training, shot to kill. You dont want someone coming back after you for revenge or for hospital treatment care money. Then theirs also the old homage, the person who's dead can't tell the jury their side of the story.

Why not just go the whole hog and completely legalise vigilantism?

That would save the taxpayers loads of money as why bother paying for prisons when you can just shoot people for crimes?

That would save the taxpayers loads of money as why bother paying for prisons when you can just shoot people for crimes?
Hyperbole noted. Do you think people shouldn’t be allowed to protect themselves in their own home?

We should.

You don't think people who commit violent crimes deserve to be shot?

A lot of old scores would be settled on day one.
This ain't the Purge franchise. And no one is advocating for it to become reality. However, homeowners should be allowed to blast any bandits who threaten their lives/property.

Hyperbole noted. Do you think people shouldn’t be allowed to protect themselves in their own home?

There's a vast difference between being able to defend yourselves and the police encouraging people to shoot intruders.

We should.

You don't think people who commit violent crimes deserve to be shot?

So, you honestly support vigilantes?

Violent crimes come in all sizes, do they all deserve a possibly lethal response?
Just do away with the justice system?

Do you really not see why that's a terrible idea?

This ain't the Purge franchise. And no one is advocating for it to become reality. However, homeowners should be allowed to blast any bandits who threaten their lives/property.

You do realise that all that does is make sure any intruder will come in armed to the teeth.

So, you honestly support vigilantes?

If they get the right person and the punishment they met out is proportionate to the crime, then what's the problem?

Violent crimes come in all sizes, do they all deserve a possibly lethal response?

I would say no.

Just do away with the justice system?
Do you really not see why that's a terrible idea?

The justice system is a failure even by your own very low standards. Everyone knows that government-run courts are heavily biased towards the rich and the politically-connected, and heavily biased against the poor.

I keep wondering when somebody will finally have the balls to try and break into my house while I and my family are home, it just never happens. I must live in too nice of a neighborhood... you know, one of those kinds of neighborhoods that isn't "inclusive" enough LOL.

Not sure if I would actually call the police though if it happened. Part of me has already figured that I would just "clean up the mess" myself and move on. Who needs to have cops and reports come sniffing around for a story about a homeowner who justifiably does what they need to do to protect their family? Heck, it might even be interesting to figure out how to make the remains just disappear.

Now, I'm not suggesting anyone ever kill anyone just for stealing their mailbox, but somebody coming into your "castle" while you and your family are home, that is very dangerous stuff, so I agree with what the sheriff in the OP articles said, a homeowner "handling that" on their own....well, isn't that doing society a huge favor?

I am a liberal California Democrat.
I'm also an ARMED Democrat who understands and believes in the Castle Doctrine, so this is one time where I agree with the sheriff in Florida.
No one will EVER have to know unless they break into my home or business, otherwise we can all go our entire lives without learning what my reaction will be...just stay on the other side of that door unless I invite you in.

There's a vast difference between being able to defend yourselves and the police encouraging people to shoot intruders.
Not really. A homeowner would frankly be nuts to assume that someone who has broken into his home in the middle of the night doesn’t present a threat to his and his family’s life.

Depending on the circumstances, he might actually be encouraging murder, not self-defense.

You do realise that all that does is make sure any intruder will come in armed to the teeth.
Or maybe it will make them reconsider their bad life decision.

Not really. A homeowner would frankly be nuts to assume that someone who has broken into his home in the middle of the night doesn’t present a threat to his and his family’s life.

Do you really advocate for killing intruders?

"But, but...the intruders have sad backstories, it's not their fault, their family loves them, they were turning their lives around"

"He was a good dad."

Do you really advocate for killing intruders?

Personally, I would not kill them if I can help it, because I want them to stand trial..

However, me and my baseball bat are going to do everything possible to hold them for police.

"But, but...the intruders have sad backstories, it's not their fault, their family loves them, they were turning their lives around"

"He was a good dad."

I would rather burglars end up in prison rather than be executed.

Back
Top Bottom