• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida sheriff urges homeowners to shoot intruders and ‘save taxpayers money’

A plainspoken Florida sheriff has gone viral for encouraging homeowners to shoot intruders — and potentially save tax dollars in the process.

Santa Rosa Sheriff Bob Johnson made the remarks after an unidentified Sunshine Stater fired at a burglar with at least 17 arrests on his record last week.

Johnson declared that the property owner shouldn’t be afraid to come forward because they had done nothing wrong.
=======================================
This FL sheriff wants you to shoot intruders.
Another reason why America doesn't deserve the 2nd Amendment. Suggesting untrained people shoot people for what may or may not be a crime. Grade A ass wipe imo.

@jdog21
Does a petty thief actually tend to come back for revenge?
I can maybe understand worried they might come back for revenge... but worried they might come back for hospital treatment help? LOL

Another reason why America doesn't deserve the 2nd Amendment. Suggesting untrained people shoot people for what may or may not be a crime. Grade A ass wipe imo.
Home invasion is a crime in all 50 states

Hyperbole noted. Do you think people shouldn’t be allowed to protect themselves in their own home?
Actually, he doesn't.

Please note, the sheriff said intruders, not home invasions.

That is home invasion. If you are prone to enter random houses when drunk then you may die, that’s a consequence of being irresponsible since your behavior facially resembles burglary. If you get drunk and enter random houses now is a great time to get sober before it’s too late

A plainspoken Florida sheriff has gone viral for encouraging homeowners to shoot intruders — and potentially save tax dollars in the process.

Santa Rosa Sheriff Bob Johnson made the remarks after an unidentified Sunshine Stater fired at a burglar with at least 17 arrests on his record last week.

Johnson declared that the property owner shouldn’t be afraid to come forward because they had done nothing wrong.
=======================================
This FL sheriff wants you to shoot intruders.
What if it turns out to be a swedish turist? Or any turist from any of these countries: Scotland, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Estonia, Latvia, Austria, Czech Republic and Switzerland.

Would make enormous headlines: Americans ordered to shoot turists..:oops:

We are used to walk out in the nature without having to contemplate ownership of the land. (In Sweden even in the constitution). It is very natural to us, we don't even think about it. So a turist might very well make this mistake...

What if it turns out to be a swedish turist? Or any turist from any of these countries: Scotland, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Estonia, Latvia, Austria, Czech Republic and Switzerland.

Would make enormous headlines: Americans ordered to shoot turists..:oops:

We are used to walk out in the nature without having to contemplate ownership of the land. (In Sweden even in the constitution). It is very natural to us, we don't even think about it. So a turist might very well make this mistake...

Wait, so in Finland it’s legal to break into houses? Well just for your benefit, if you’re used to being a burglar in Finland then don’t bring your work on vacation in America

"What's that I hear? Well, I'ma gonna do my sheriff proud!"

And the sheriff loses a vote, maybe two. Probably just one.

. . . . Violent crimes come in all sizes, do they all deserve a possibly lethal response?
Just do away with the justice system? . . .
Nobody is advocating lethal response for every violent crime.

This thread is specifically about home invasions. The head of household has a right (and a duty, IMO) to protect his or her family. When someone forces entry into your house, you basically have 2 choices:

1) submit to their demands and pray to God they don't hurt you, or your family. OR

2) stop the intruder dead in his tracks.

It's a no-brainer for me, but many people might choose option #1.

The point is that home intruders must accept the possibility that they might be shot (and possibly killed) in their attack. This is what Sheriff Bob Johnson was trying to convey when he prompted people to shoot home invaders.

Not petty thief but someone whose been shot ya
So a petty thief needs to be shot because they might come back for revenge if they are shot? Ok…

So a petty thief needs to be shot because they might come back for revenge if they are shot? Ok…
Home burglary is not petty theft, it’s a serious violent crime. Petty theft is stealing a candy bar or taking tools home from work. Residential burglary is a felony in all states

You do realise that all that does is make sure any intruder will come in armed to the teeth.
Which will justify a homeowner shooting them even more.

That is home invasion. If you are prone to enter random houses when drunk then you may die, that’s a consequence of being irresponsible since your behavior facially resembles burglary. If you get drunk and enter random houses now is a great time to get sober before it’s too late
So execution for being drunk is okay with you. Not me.

Not what I said at all. I said that if you are going to shoot someone you better shoot them dead so they dont come back for revenge or try to sue you for damages.

So execution for being drunk is okay with you. Not me.
Not execution. Execution only occurs when a judicial death sentence has been handed down by the courts.

This would be justifiable self defense, you choosing to become intoxicated does not absolve you of consequences of your actions, otherwise we couldn’t prosecute DUI

So the death penalty for being drunk is okay with you. Not me.
Not the death penalty, justifiable self defense, burglary while drunk is still burglary

Not the death penalty, justifiable self defense, burglary while drunk is still b
So you think this 'good guy' with a gun will just wing him, like your favorite western. Your view of justice is contemptible.

Not execution. Execution only occurs when a judicial death sentence has been handed down by the courts.

This would be justifiable self defense, you choosing to become intoxicated does not absolve you of consequences of your actions, otherwise we couldn’t prosecute DUI
And many DUI cases do not result in conviction of the charge. Your view of justice is contemptible.

And many DUI cases do not result in conviction of the charge
Irrelevant
. Your view of justice is contemptible.
Lol. You realize you have no argument and so you have no choice but to say the law as exists is contemptible because drunk burglars should I guess just be pampered.

So you think this 'good guy' with a gun will just wing him, like your favorite western. Your view of justice is contemptible.
It’s irrelevant if the burglar dies or faces minor injury. Deadly force is justifiable to protect the home against home invasion, because you have a right to be safe in your own home.

If you commit felony crimes while drunk then you need to get sober, before the consequences catch up with you.

Back
Top Bottom