• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Senate passes bill to strip Disney's special self-governing status

Will they get taxed at 99%?
It's an analogy. You know what those are, right? I was pointing out using an example that this was a very dumb question (quoting you): "If they are not prevented from making money, how will they suffer economically?" See, the point of my analogy was it's obviously possible to suffer economically, and still be permitted to make money, at the same TIME!! 🤪

It's an analogy. You know what those are, right? I was pointing out using an example that this was a very dumb question (quoting you): "If they are not prevented from making money, how will they suffer economically?" See, the point of my analogy was it's obviously possible to suffer economically, and still be permitted to make money, at the same TIME!! 🤪
Well, you brought up the "analogy". Let's make it more realistic.

I agree that a 99% tax would ruin the corporation because they wouldn't be able to make enough money to expand, innovate, etc. A lesser tax of some amount, maybe not. Do you agree? If so, what would be a good amount to tax them that wouldn't destroy them?

And, while we are on the subject of taxes, what makes you think their tax obligation would increase at all?

Aside from using the National Review as a source, "parents of smaller children" didn't get to weigh in on this. This is DeSantis having a temper tantrum.

And Disney's customers come, by far, from everywhere else but FL. Some do of course, my cousins took us. But the majority of their customers come from elsewhere...many of them 'blue' I'm sure. And those from other countries wont care if they even know.

Amend that.

Have a nice life

Your post makes no sense, and mine still stands.

Where are the sources backing up your claim? Still pretending you have any?

Well, you brought up the "analogy". Let's make it more realistic.

I agree that a 99% tax would ruin the corporation because they wouldn't be able to make enough money to expand, innovate, etc. A lesser tax of some amount, maybe not. Do you agree? If so, what would be a good amount to tax them that wouldn't destroy them?

And, while we are on the subject of taxes, what makes you think their tax obligation would increase at all?
This is a really terrible, dumb, ignorant question: "If they are not prevented from making money, how will they suffer economically?"

If you don't get why by now, I really do not care.

I think Disney ought to play hard ball. Close the parks for two weeks and put all Orlando employees of the parks on two weeks unpaid administrative leave.

Let the employees know that if the DeSantis grab happens the park will be closed on the day the DeSantis bill goes into effect and until the action is repealed.

WW

Wow. If you have to ask that question... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That's comedy GOLD!
It's a valid question.

Just because you post something that seems "obvious" to you doesn't mean 1) you've answered the question or 2) that you have an answer to the question yourself (which apparently you don't)

One must assume that - in your mind - this decision is going to cause Disney to have to lay off scads of workers - and by extension, so will all the various businesses that feed off the Disney economy.

Somehow, this is unquestionably obvious to you.

Perhaps you could answer 1) why you think this is the case, 2) why you think the answer to #1 is so unquestionably obvious (to you), and 3) why you think not being able to divine these unspoken answers on our own is somehow "comedy GOLD?"

I eagerly await your characteristic deflective non-response.

It's a valid question.

Just because you post something that seems "obvious" to you doesn't mean 1) you've answered the question or 2) that you have an answer to the question yourself (which apparently you don't)

One must assume that - in your mind - this decision is going to cause Disney to have to lay off scads of workers - and by extension, so will all the various businesses that feed off the Disney economy.

Somehow, this is unquestionably obvious to you.

Perhaps you could answer 1) why you think this is the case, 2) why you think the answer to #1 is so unquestionably obvious (to you), and 3) why you think not being able to divine these unspoken answers on our own is somehow "comedy GOLD?"

I eagerly await your characteristic deflective non-response.

This is off-topic...why are you making a post about me?

And your hyperbolic assumptions are hilarious!

You're welcome. (For fulfilling your "wish")

I think Disney ought to play hard ball. Close the parks for two weeks and put all Orlando employees of the parks on two weeks unpaid administrative leave.

Let the employees know that if the DeSantis grab happens the park will be closed on the day the DeSantis bill goes into effect and until the action is repealed.

WW
They would be cutting their own throat if they took your suggestion.

Most of their employees are temporary part time and they come from all over the country. If they faced no pay for two weeks, those people would go home. The park would have nobody to call back to work when they wanted to reopen.

And what would happen to the local economy if they closed down for two weeks and all kinds of local businesses faced cancellations and no customers.

This is a really terrible, dumb, ignorant question: "If they are not prevented from making money, how will they suffer economically?"

If you don't get why by now, I really do not care.
So. You are another one who can't answer the question.

Moving on...

They will after they pay their fair shane of county and state taxes. Somewhere around 200 million! 😁
They should just create a bunch of shell companies like trump.

They're dooming their state to a self induced recession.
Not even close. Disney is not leaving Florida, they have invested far too much money there, the can't just move someplace else. In fact, last year Disney moved many of their managment and operations jobs from California (both Anaheim and Burbank) to Florida, because Florida has far friendlier rules for employers than California does. California puts waaaaay more demands on employers than Florida.

Only way Disney might find a more business friendly state than Florida, might be if they moved to Texas or Oklahoma, and I don't see them doing that.

To think that DeSantis and Florida legislators do not have leverage over Disney is silly. All Disney needs to do is STFU and get back to being an entertianment company, and leave all the woke social crap aside.

Now Disney can get Florida taxpayers to fix Disney's infrastructure.

This is off-topic...why are you making a post about me?

And your hyperbolic assumptions are hilarious!

You're welcome. (For fulfilling your "wish")
You seem to be in a very upbeat mood today, finding all manner of hilarity in other people's posts.

But, no, my post wasn't off-topic at all - I was in fact responding based on your post (post #2, btw) wherein you claimed (and I quote):
Lursa said:
"The entire state, esp. central FL, is going to suffer if Disney suffers economically. If you've ever been to the Orlando area, it basically revolves around Disney and the tourism industry. DIsney is the crown jewel of that and employs huge numbers of people. So do all the other thousands of tourist attractions. AND all the motels, hotels, fast food joints, restaurants, souvenir shops, etc."

You were then asked, "...How will they suffer economically?" - to which you replied with (and I quote):
Lursa said:
"Wow. If you have to ask that question... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
That's comedy GOLD
!"

I thought it a valid question, and since you have yet to answer it, I thought it fair - in hopes you might yet deign to provide us one - to make an assumption (based on your initial comment about Disney employing "huge numbers of people") as to why you might think this a probabililty - to wit: how "in your mind - this decision is going to cause Disney to have to lay off scads of workers - and by extension, so will all the various businesses that feed off the Disney economy?"

...a question I hope you now realize is based specifically on your responses - first to the OP and then to another poster. So again, no, not off topic at all.
Frankly, the only hyperbole here is thinking my assumptions hyperbolic.

I mean, that does seem to be your position regarding the action taken by the Florida legislature; or am I wrong?
And it's equally fair to wonder why this is somehow so unquestionably obvious to you that you could find such hilarity and "comedy gold" at some who simply would like to know why you think this is going to harm "the entire state, esp. central FL," and "the tourism industry" so dependent on Disney?

...or maybe we just don't get the joke...

You seem to be in a very upbeat mood today, finding all manner of hilarity in other people's posts.

But, no, my post wasn't off-topic at all - I was in fact responding based on your post (post #2, btw) wherein you claimed (and I quote):

You were then asked, "...How will they suffer economically?" - to which you replied with (and I quote):

I thought it a valid question, and since you have yet to answer it, I thought it fair - in hopes you might yet deign to provide us one - to make an assumption (based on your initial comment about Disney employing "huge numbers of people") as to why you might think this a probabililty - to wit: how "in your mind - this decision is going to cause Disney to have to lay off scads of workers - and by extension, so will all the various businesses that feed off the Disney economy?"

...a question I hope you now realize is based specifically on your responses - first to the OP and then to another poster. So again, no, not off topic at all.
Frankly, the only hyperbole here is thinking my assumptions hyperbolic.

I mean, that does seem to be your position regarding the action taken by the Florida legislature; or am I wrong?
And it's equally fair to wonder why this is somehow so unquestionably obvious to you that you could find such hilarity and "comedy gold" at some who simply would like to know why you think this is going to harm "the entire state, esp. central FL," and "the tourism industry" so dependent on Disney?

...or maybe we just don't get the joke...

TL;dr

We're done with Disney... we were planning a trip there next year, but we're going to go somewhere else.

We also canceled Disney+.

Disney has become so vile, immoral, and rotten that my family will never give them money again.

WW
Disney can't afford to keep the parks closed. We saw that during the pandemic. Also, if they did something this stupid it would have the inverse effect. It would show that they're horrible to their employees and don't deserve their special treatment.

Vindictive Bastages!

At the sake of being somewhat civil I will not say what I think of Republicans in all elected offices everywhere!

Use your imagination, for what the expletives might be, then double it!
So Disney enjoyed special treatment until they pissed DeSantis off. Is there no contract between the State of Florida and Disney that spells out the terms. Disney should sue for breach of contract if them being "woke" or whatever wasn't prohibited.

We're done with Disney... we were planning a trip there next year, but we're going to go somewhere else.

We also canceled Disney+.

Disney has become so vile, immoral, and rotten that my family will never give them money again.

Cool. I'm going to give my sister a year's subscription to Disney+. Balance things out :D

And then there's her twin sister...and my nieces and nephews. Bet they'd like Disney+.

Last edited:
Just think if Mickey starts pouring money into democratic campaigns across the country. That would be so sweet.
Disney will do what's good for Disney. They took their position with their bottom line in mind. Just saying they don't strike me as suicidal

Back
Top Bottom