• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Senate passes bill to strip Disney's special self-governing status

Oh ok. Sources please.

SUre - you. Are you going to refuse to take your kids to Disney World because the electrical system in their new cafeteria is inspected by someone from the city of Orlando? WTF are you talking about?

LOL why do you think that 'status' is valuable to begin with? :rolleyes:
Speed

Just think if Mickey starts pouring money into democratic campaigns across the country. That would be so sweet.

SUre - you. Are you going to refuse to take your kids to Disney World because the electrical system in their new cafeteria is inspected by someone from the city of Orlando?

Sources or just more made-up BS from you.

WTF are you talking about?

I explained in post 2 and clarified it for you after that. Wow.

Is that a serious answer? I hope not. If it is, you reeaallllly dont know what's going on 😆

Sources or just more made-up BS from you.

I explained in post 2 and clarified it for you after that. Wow.

Is that a serious answer? I hope not. If it is, you reeaallllly dont know what's going on 😆
Sorry Lursa you didn't explain shit in post 2 and you know it. Presumably you know that when you do these stupid little dances you turn people off and they won't engage with you in the future. Perhaps you don't care, and you prefer whining with like minded others rather than having an interesting thought provoking discussion with someone that has a different opinion or point of view from you. Your choice.

We're done for today. Have a nice day.

Nobody wants to go to Georgia… and they’d have to pay taxes there and follow local laws anyway. Besides, Georgia has higher corporate tax rates.
Meh. The state could offer tax abatements.

If they are not prevented from making money, how will they suffer economically?
Disney will still make money, not as much though. The people of florida, they'll pay. Florida has lots of bond debt and without the monies from disney, where is the money to pay off that debt going to come from?

Do you think the people of florida had any input in this decision made from spite?

the Democrats NEED a better messaging and marking strategy.

i wonder if Disney and their companies know anything about that? :cool:

i'm of the opinion that politicians like DeSantis wouldn't be nearly as brash in their vindictiveness had there not been a trump. they all saw that it works (short term).

Disney is arguably the most powerful company in Florida. It is America’s largest single-site employer, with 77,000 employees at its Orlando theme parks. It has control of 43 square miles. The Walt Disney World Resort, comprised of four theme parks, two water parks, 36 hotels and other amenities, welcome an average of 58 million people a year, making it the most-visited resort in the world.

In the past decade, Disney’s dollars flowing to the statehouse in Tallahassee have skyrocketed: The company spent a total of $2.1 million on state elections in 2010, according to reporting by Florida Trend, including donations to candidates, state parties, political committees and constitutional amendment campaigns. By 2018, when DeSantis was elected governor, that figure ballooned to $28.3 million on Florida state elections.

In 2020, Disney donated $4.8 million just to individual candidates in Florida, including $50,000 to DeSantis.

Staggering numbers.

Sorry Mickey. You lie down with scum you are likely to wake up encrusted with their offal!

Today the Florida senate has passed the bill that will take away the special Reedy Creek Improvement District that Walt Disney World has had since 1967.

The bill passed 23-16 with all Republican senators except Sen. Jeff Brandes of Pinellas Park voting in favor of the dissolution.

Democratic senators are calling this a bullying tactic against Disney for their opposition to the Parental Rights in Education Bill, aka “Don’t Say Gay” bill. …

Those who wear glass slippers shouldn’t throw stones?

Sorry Lursa you didn't explain shit in post 2 and you know it. Presumably you know that when you do these stupid little dances you turn people off and they won't engage with you in the future. Perhaps you don't care, and you prefer whining with like minded others rather than having an interesting thought provoking discussion with someone that has a different opinion or point of view from you. Your choice.

We're done for today. Have a nice day.

I'm sorry that you cant connect the dots between regulatory status economic advantages and the way less income affects employee numbers and pay. And the way that filters in to taxes and surrounding community businesses and employment.

But it's very basic and you and Mycroft completely missed it.

Now, where're the sources I asked for or are you going to keep making posts about me instead of the OP? If you cant prove your claim...just admit it ( :rolleyes: ) but dont pretend it's my fault you cant.

I wish the CEO of Disney would tell them: "Bring it on. We were thinking of moving to Georgia anyway"

that would take untold billions and..... what, a decade? At BEST?

A center right take on why Disney is kind of screwed, here. Three basic reasons:

1. Disney chose a fight where its position is unpopular and is also directly at odds with its most important customers (parents of smaller children).
2. The GOP in Florida is well-positioned - they've had the state legislature since 1999, is likely to pick up more seats in the fall, and DeSantis has a 55% approval rating.
3. Disney has no leverage - the cost to Florida of ending special carve-outs for Disney is much lower than the cost to Disney.

Lest anyone jump overboard on the tribal bandwagon, by the same author: Ron DeSantis’s Misguided Attack on Disney’s Legal Status:

...Those who have defended the move argue that sticking it to Disney in this matter demonstrates that the Republican Party is willing to “fight” and will thus represent a victory for conservatism. But this is silly. Admirably, Governor DeSantis has already fought Disney, and he has already won. The policy about which Disney chose stupidly to complain is now Florida law. It passed both houses of the state legislature; it was signed by DeSantis, who had been correctly defiant in the face of Disney’s gripes; and it enjoys the support of broad majorities of Floridians. There is no need for the Republican Party of Florida to salt the earth here; it has prevailed in every particular.

Presented with this objection, advocates of further retribution tend to switch gears and contend that Walt Disney World is not “entitled” to the setup it enjoys in Florida, that no law is guaranteed to “last forever,” and that Disney’s special status, granted before 1968, was probably due for “reconsideration” anyway. In a vacuum, these arguments are all defensible, but in context, they represent an extreme form of gaslighting. Until about a month ago, Walt Disney World’s legal status was not even a blip on the GOP’s radar. No Republicans were calling for it to be revisited, nor did they have any reason to. Yes, Disney isn’t “entitled” to its arrangement. But Disney wasn’t “entitled” to it in 2012, 2002, 1992, 1982, or 1972, either, and yet, amazingly enough, the legislature showed zero interest in rescinding it when given the opportunity on those occasions. That it’s doing so now is ugly. That it’s pretending that it’s doing so out of a concern for “good government” is grotesque....

i'm of the opinion that politicians like DeSantis wouldn't be nearly as brash in their vindictiveness had there not been a trump. they all saw that it works (short term).
Oh no doubt, My Sister and I discussed the phenomenon. I have no delusions that the vindictiveness et al was always there, below the surface, a seething cauldron as it were, but Donny Nasty popped the top and gave it cover, gave it an outlet, gave it seeming legitimacy.

If the nasty, evil river of ectoplasm in Ghost Busters 2 had been orange instead of pink it would be a perfect move prelude for the Trump era. ;)

that would take untold billions and..... what, a decade? At BEST?

A center right take on why Disney is kind of screwed, here. Three basic reasons:

1. Disney chose a fight where its position is unpopular and is also directly at odds with its most important customers (parents of smaller children).
2. The GOP in Florida is well-positioned - they've had the state legislature since 1999, is likely to pick up more seats in the fall, and DeSantis has a 55% approval rating.
3. Disney has no leverage - the cost to Florida of ending special carve-outs for Disney is much lower than the cost to Disney.

Lest anyone jump overboard on the tribal bandwagon, by the same author: Ron DeSantis’s Misguided Attack on Disney’s Legal Status:

...Those who have defended the move argue that sticking it to Disney in this matter demonstrates that the Republican Party is willing to “fight” and will thus represent a victory for conservatism. But this is silly. Admirably, Governor DeSantis has already fought Disney, and he has already won. The policy about which Disney chose stupidly to complain is now Florida law. It passed both houses of the state legislature; it was signed by DeSantis, who had been correctly defiant in the face of Disney’s gripes; and it enjoys the support of broad majorities of Floridians. There is no need for the Republican Party of Florida to salt the earth here; it has prevailed in every particular.
Presented with this objection, advocates of further retribution tend to switch gears and contend that Walt Disney World is not “entitled” to the setup it enjoys in Florida, that no law is guaranteed to “last forever,” and that Disney’s special status, granted before 1968, was probably due for “reconsideration” anyway. In a vacuum, these arguments are all defensible, but in context, they represent an extreme form of gaslighting. Until about a month ago, Walt Disney World’s legal status was not even a blip on the GOP’s radar. No Republicans were calling for it to be revisited, nor did they have any reason to. Yes, Disney isn’t “entitled” to its arrangement. But Disney wasn’t “entitled” to it in 2012, 2002, 1992, 1982, or 1972, either, and yet, amazingly enough, the legislature showed zero interest in rescinding it when given the opportunity on those occasions. That it’s doing so now is ugly. That it’s pretending that it’s doing so out of a concern for “good government” is grotesque....
Aside from using the National Review as a source, "parents of smaller children" didn't get to weigh in on this. This is DeSantis having a temper tantrum.

I'm sorry that you cant connect the dots between regulatory status economic advantages and the way less income affects employee numbers and pay. And the way that filters in to taxes and surrounding community businesses and employment.

But it's very basic and you and Mycroft completely missed it.

Now, where're the sources I asked for or are you going to keep making posts about me instead of the OP? If you cant prove your claim...just admit it ( :rolleyes: ) but dont pretend it's my fault you cant.
Amend that.

Have a nice life

Aside from using the National Review as a source, "parents of smaller children" didn't get to weigh in on this. This is DeSantis having a temper tantrum.
Ironic you would say that. Here is the last paragraph of the source you are dismissing:

...A good question to ask in politics is, “And then what?” And so it is here. I have no doubt that, if they really want to, Governor DeSantis and the Republican majorities in the state legislature can revoke Walt Disney World’s special status, and I have no doubt that, in the short term, they might profit politically from doing so. But then what? Does the curriculum bill become even more the law? Of course not. In all likelihood, all that happens is Florida’s zoning policy gets a little worse, the legislature elects to tie itself up for years in extremely complex and costly litigation meant to untangle the state from Disney, and other large businesses note for the record that Florida’s heretofore-admirable commitment to solving big and complicated problems should henceforth be regarded with an asterisk.
That’s not “fighting.” It’s a tantrum.

Aside from using the National Review as a source, "parents of smaller children" didn't get to weigh in on this.

Yes they did. The elected the folks that passed this law. Same in VA. And, as you'll probably find out, same all across the country.

Ironic you would say that. Here is the last paragraph of the source you are dismissing:

...A good question to ask in politics is, “And then what?” And so it is here. I have no doubt that, if they really want to, Governor DeSantis and the Republican majorities in the state legislature can revoke Walt Disney World’s special status, and I have no doubt that, in the short term, they might profit politically from doing so. But then what? Does the curriculum bill become even more the law? Of course not. In all likelihood, all that happens is Florida’s zoning policy gets a little worse, the legislature elects to tie itself up for years in extremely complex and costly litigation meant to untangle the state from Disney, and other large businesses note for the record that Florida’s heretofore-admirable commitment to solving big and complicated problems should henceforth be regarded with an asterisk.
That’s not “fighting.” It’s a tantrum.
So, you gave us more of the National Review's opinion...ok.

Back
Top Bottom